JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry. Not entirely sure where to post this one. I ran into an issue involving Characters and a Variable to decide which Actor is Party Member #1.

I have an Actor on the 10th selection but for some reason, that Actor won't be displayed. Actor 1 to 8 will. But not 10. I haven't tried Actor 9 yet but even so, you would think it'd work. And at first, it did. But I don't know what's going on. I had Actor 10 and Actor 13 working. (There are 16 Actors altogether)

When playing as Actor 10, I can do simple Dialogue but when it comes to Actor 10's turn to talk, it shows nothing. Like it just skips that talk altogether. I set up the Variables of Party Member 1 = Actor ID of Party Member #1 up to 8. What that is, it shows the FIRST actor in the party or if you'd prefer, the Actor at the first row. Which is the Party Leader. My game relies heavily on it. Haha. Would like to get this taken care of but don't know how. Like I said at the top of this page, I'm not entirely sure where to post this one.

These are the only Plugin I'm using but aside from TWing_Party Plugin, I don't see how it should affect Variables in game as none of them even asked me for Variables.

1610109435131.png

I even checked the whole thing to see if Party Member 1 is Variable 10 of Actor ID and it says that. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work so I thought I'd try my hands at asking the Community. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas on what I might be missing or maybe you have your own thoughts. I'd like to hear it and see if I can't prove that theory if you have one.

Any help and thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you for your trouble.
-Jac

Edit: This is still a 4-Men Party System. I'm not using any more than 4.

Edit#2:
I realize it might be better to show an example of what's going on. So here we go.

Last edited:

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If anyone still feel like I lack information, please feel free to ask me. I'm kind of at my wit's end with this one. Haha.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Turn off all plugins and test again.
I just did a quick test on party member 10 in my own game and had no issues getting it to work.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Turn off all plugins and test again.
I just did a quick test on party member 10 in my own game and had no issues getting it to work.
Just tried. Didn't work. I keep speculating, wondering if possible that the more you add into MZ, the less functional it becomes. I just had a friend check it out too, he thinks I might have the Event command set up wrong. So I will try doing it backward and see if that helps.

EDIT: Nope. It didn't work. If I just play it at the start with everyone in the party, it acts like it works. But play the story and it doesn't even bother. I was hoping. Lol. Thanks, by the way. Didn't mean to be rude and not thank you. Really wondering if this might be one of MZ's bug.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a video is a bad way to give information for a lot of reasons.

can you please give us screenshots of the full event and describe in text what happens as opposed to what you want to happen?
It is much more likely that you messed up a logic sequence somewhere in my opinion, and we need to see the entire event to check for that.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You're missing core plug-ins. Those plug-ins have dependenacies listed in their descriptions and those must be installed or strange things will happen.

I've moved this thread to Plug-In Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
a video is a bad way to give information for a lot of reasons.

can you please give us screenshots of the full event and describe in text what happens as opposed to what you want to happen?
It is much more likely that you messed up a logic sequence somewhere in my opinion, and we need to see the entire event to check for that.
Sure thing. What I want is Actor 10 to talk when she's the Party Leader.

1610114869363.png
1610114892740.png
1610114923146.png
In the video, I actually had these backward, meaning... from 1 to 13. Instead of 13 to 1. When I play as Actor 10, the Variable shows 10 but it won't move. Not like there's any reason to. You play as any Actors below 10, they can talk.
Here are the others which is used as Gab Window.

1610115065062.png
1610115082258.png
1610115107671.png
1610115126239.png
1610115148251.png
And then, we have this, which I did not show in the video. I forgot. Lol. Sorry.
1610115190688.png

Basically, I'm just trying to figure out why Actor 10 isn't talking.

You're missing core plug-ins. Those plug-ins have dependenacies listed in their descriptions and those must be installed or strange things will happen.
Oh boy. Do you know which plug-ins I'm missing?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep speculating, wondering if possible that the more you add into MZ, the less functional it becomes.
It either works or it doesn't. Got nothing to do with complexity. If it's not caused by a plugin, then somewhere something went wrong in your eventing. Try setting up an event that does it in the most minimalistic way you can, or in a new project and see if it still goes wrong.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It either works or it doesn't. Got nothing to do with complexity. If it's not caused by a plugin, then somewhere something went wrong in your eventing. Try setting up an event that does it in the most minimalistic way you can, or in a new project and see if it still goes wrong.
Alright. I will be sure to do that. Thank you for helping me, @Milennin ! Really appreciate it. Will come back on sometimes tomorrow (I need to sleep) and let you know what all I found. Also need to look at the Description from the pages of both VisuStella (I think that's how you spell it) and Mog's. For Mog, will be slightly bit hard since it's Spanish but luckily, I know a little to understand.

So thank you, again.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
several bad design decisions in those events.

the parallel process for setting the variables is a bad idea - not only does this create lag without any need, too many parallel processes also increase the chance of timing problems with their data.
If you check a variable for data like this, that control variable command should be at the beginning of the event where the conditional branches are.

second bad decision are the elses in the main event. if you're checking a variable for equal to different possibilities (especially when using exit event processing like this), you should completely disable the else branches (there is a checkbox for this in the conditional branch command).
That way the event becomes better readable and it will prevent negative logic mistakes (which happen a lot more often than most people think).

third, why do you have two lines "talking dialogue += 1" in that parallel process? you can easily make that +=2 - or is this part of a logic mistake where you meant to count two different variables?

I also suggest you follow the link to "bughunting" in my signature to learn a bit more about possible problems like the timing of parallel processes.

GGZiron

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A very quick fix is going line 9897 of objects plugin. The line there should be :
Code:
result = value1 === value2;
Replace it with:
Code:
result = parseInt(value1) === value2;
Should do the trick. I think that is engine bug Not Sure what causes it. And when exactly happen so.

Edit: The replaced line could be this one instead:
Code:
result = value1 == value2;
Should produce same result.

Edit 2: I agree with Andar about the bad design :D.

Edit 3: Okey, the problem is in the provided value. Not sure what causes it, so i delete part of my responce where I speculated about it. Sorry.

Last edited:

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
third, why do you have two lines "talking dialogue += 1" in that parallel process? you can easily make that +=2 - or is this part of a logic mistake where you meant to count two different variables?
Ah. The +1 thing is for NPC talk. Figured it would be boring. Definitely a mistake there. Thanks for pointing that out. Though, I guess I should have stuck with the Random Variable instead. Haha.

I'm checking out your Bughunting now. Thanks. :D

Edit 2: I agree with Andar about the bad design :D.
Haha. Guilty as charge! :D Your code replacement actually worked. I'm surprise you actually found that one. Lol.

GGZiron

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If have to speculate why happens so, I think at some point, something sets the actor's id to text value. You obtain that value to your game variable, but it remains text, and then the tripple = brings false. Finding what causes it would be better fix than my fix above.

Edit: No speculation, the id of your party member 10 is indeed text.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We believe it might be TWing's Plugin that's acting up. So I will talk to TWing and see if he can't fix his Plugin and whatnot. I want to thank everyone on this thread for their help.
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it! I hope you all have a good time and a great year! And it was nice talking to you all! Do take take care!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taralane041