RPG Maker Needs To Break Its' Limits

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by RATED-RKOFRANKLIN, Aug 9, 2012.

1. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sounds like a pain in the ass, but I suppose it should be obvious those more proficient would have the advantage of versatility. Really makes me wish I'd read more into scripting when I had the chance.

I actually can't remember how my previous post relates to the topic. Might've been half asleep. My point is though that perhaps providing a system with set phrases like that cited earlier, as limited as it may be, for the creation of simple RGSS scripts might come in handy, especially for those a little less proficient in Ruby. It's not going to be a permanent fix, of course, but we do get a lot of people here that look at scripts and see absolutely nothing but chinese. A point and click list of basic phrases like the Action Script editor of earlier versions of Flash that actually let you see the final code you composed would be plenty helpful for those only just learning Ruby. Ideally they gradually get a better feel for how scripts are built or at the very least, what does what and the creation of simple custom functions becomes a wee bit more manageable without having to bother other folks.

2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the RM editor's purpose is to allow you to express your logic without having to know any ruby, since the game interpreter class takes all of the event commands and picks which ruby code to run.

You could use the game interpreter as a script builder, passing in an event and having it convert to a function, but I don't think that's any useful.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  3. Mitchell

Mitchell Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    My main reason behind pushing for all these different exports is to keep up with the competition.

Yes there are other game making engines out there and every day people are choosing them over RPG Maker simply because they offer (and advertise) exporting to other platforms. Sure, 99% of people may never end up with a finished commercial project to export but having the option/capability there from the start is a huge selling point.

Secondly, I think a number of these different exporting tools may not be developed directly by EB which lessens the risk significantly. Situations like a third party commercial developer wanting more export options and developing a tool to achieve this are all too common.

mystic0, Corlagon, Lunarea and 3 others like this.
  4. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Nice to see I'm not the only one seeing things this way.

5. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I don't think it's a matter of people thinking this is a bad idea so much as they worry that if it fails it could mean the end of RM gaming. A bit dramatic, I agree, but understandable that sometimes a decision could have bad consequences.

If it doesn't require so much upfront, I say go for it, even if it will only impact a small number of people. The extra fees, partnerships, etc., all that could add up, but it will probably impact the user's pocket more so than EB, and if they can afford it, then there's no reason not to have this.

Edit: Also, even if it flops, there's so many people willing to try this out or just have it on hand (just in case they do decide to use it sometime) that I'm willing to bet a number of people will be buying this the moment it's available, giving EB its profit, even if the buyer doesn't use it.

6. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    Just a bit? :huh:

IMHO it has about 10 times more chances to succeed than sign the end of RM gaming...

Why wouldn't the games repeat on Xbox what they did on PC anyway? I think it has worked out pretty OK so far on PC, with many devs willing to put efforts in the opportunities given to them, new platforms would probably mark the beginning of new RM adventures. :wub:

7. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It isn't about repeating, more platforms is more convenient to the end-user.

RM wouldn't fail, it has its own niche already, and it would take a lot to make the dedicated ones leave it. Although, I would gladly move on if some indie made an engine in C# that had XNA/Mono that had Windows, X-Box, Android, iOS, Mac, and Linux support with an open-source engine. Even an indie can make an engine as powerful as RM, scripting should be an option after all, and they should of made it plug and play where you import and export scripts. The design of this engine is beautiful and ugly at the same time, in a technical standpoint at-least.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  8. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    RM scripts are plug-and-play: import and export is "copy paste and delete"

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    According to the owner of Blossomsoft, he is making a framework to port rpgmaker games to Unity. Don't know how much it will cost once completed. Blossomsoft has released Eternal Eden around 2 or 3 yrs ago and the company has 1 commercial rpgmaker game in its catalogue.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It will require the Pro version of Unity, which is $1500. Then you have to buy the Android/iOS plugins on top of that.

Will be nice to have, if he can get it working, but for not for people who shudder at paying $90 for Ace :)

11. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    Well $1500 is a lot but you have to look at the possibilities it brings. ^^

Also, people with a lot of games can probably make this profitable very easily.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well I think the price will not be an obstacle to people who have been selling games for these past years as by now, they know approx. which games will sell when porting and the fees for unity is not that expensive. Only starters will think twice before jumping ship. Even if Elder sells his framework,investing around $1000-5000 is reasonable and affordable for many of us who have been selling games for a long time...let's wait and see if anything comes concrete soon.

13. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    It's a new market so it's hard to be in total control (and guess the kind of income to expect), but you have to expect over that fee if you want to go indie full time anyway.

Us? You're a developer too? :p

Kudos to that ^^

14. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    I'd be interested to see how the scripts are ported.

Perhaps not even a port. Could be a program that takes RM data. Like instead of using Game.exe to run an RPG Maker game you roll your own, which just happens to use the same RM data files and resources so you are effectively developing cross-platform RM games, with RM!

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    He says his tool "converts" an RM project, so I think it'll be more like grabbing everything from the RM data files and creating new files usable by Unity. I'd question whether using the RM data files in another engine is a breach of the EULA.

16. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    If that's the case, it'd be trivial to make rpg maker output xml files (with the data in) through scripting, that way you never mess with the rxdata2 files.

17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It sounds like he's already got it covered though - if you used his tool, you wouldn't need to write any kind of extractor.

The other question is, what version of RM is he using? If his games are XP, then he'll probably be writing XP exporters - logic would say if you're building a tool to make games run on other platforms, you're going to concentrate on the maker that your own games are created with.

18. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    If he's not using too many scripts then it probably wouldn't appeal to too many people.

I would like to imagine a good number of projects heavily rely on scripted systems.

Or not...?

19. mystic0

mystic0 Freeman Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know how many times I've said that almost verbatim!

As far as porting to xbox, I'm pro. I know it is not just difficult. What people are asking for is near improbable. Only a few software firms have created things similar to this. However; I feel that if RM is to compete with other game makers then this heavy step is a necessary. A friend of mine has made many many successful games with a competing package. And it is true that most successful game developers don't use RM because there are a lot of limitations, implementations that need to be used, and also software is... temperamental. So, if you want it done right, do it yourself; however, with the organization of rm material, I think it may be possible now.

I know people are complaining about $60 for an engine, but in all consideration, if you are making a serious engine or investing in one then this is like a drop of water in a pot. So, for hobbyists that are in high school or maybe even college then it could be a big deal. But if you want or need a serious port then consider paying closer to $400-$600. And I'm alright with this because it saves me more time and money for Eb to make it and they will make more money off of it.

I had started working with rm when it was rpg maker 98 and I left after xp because of the limitations. When I heard that VX had scripting I got really excited and found out they used Ruby. I was shocked they didn't use a more common language like basic, java, c (or any derived), lua, or allegro.

I think a lot of people are really waiting on a port like this and I think it could bring more people to it with c# support.

20. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The script editor is not very powerful and import/export is by means using a function. The copy, paste, and delete is fine, but it is not very clean for developers. Having an API to check if it is up-to-date and many other things would make developing systems for this so much easier. A system similar to Invision Power Board's plugin system is something I had in mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012