RPG Maker Paid Workshop Resources

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Jomarcenter, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Recently Steam introduced a new feature that allows workshop creators to sell their Mod, level, etc... into a game easily http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/%C2'> I am questioning if there any plans to have RPG maker VX Ace to make user selling their workshop creations like easily like resources and the likes?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  2. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    this could go a few ways.

True, it's a direct route for modders to sell their add-ons, with only steam taking out taxes, however, it can backfire for the modder as well.

Taking RPGM into consideration, I'm sure degica takes their part, and when going through steam, steam takes a part as well, but, by going through degica, it gets QCed (quality checked). A bad mod released through workshop could actually cost a modder since they already lose the taxes, and then the whole cost of a refund on top of that.

I have a project in early greenlight for feedback purposes, and have already filled out all the info, and read all the warnings with selling through them. On top of that, I'm sure some of the modders out there aren't even legal age to sell on the market, leading to a whole other series of issues.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another point that would have to be discussed is the RTP-licencing: I don't think RTP-Edits may be sold under current licence.

Solving that might be easier on Steam (said share of the sales for Degica might go toward handling that), but there are additional problems with that idea, and how to check all those workshop contents for credits and legal stuff like "no unprotected redistribution of shop sold resources"...

4. deilin

First Language:
    English
    There is a person on workshop who remade vocaloid music and distributes it.

Under vocaloid liscensing, which is an 80 page booklet , that is illegal. As it is, i can look up rpg maker battlers and get the whole samurai pack off of a site for free. (I do own samurai legally, but was shocked to see it openly displayed on a site.) Even on this site, a member posted a re-colored Guild Wars 2 image in the gallery.

I can see this ending badly... wonder if degica can block rpg maker workshop from sales. Totaly defeats Greenlight too.

5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you see any of our paid resources being distributed could you let us know? There is stuff that can be done. We already do our best to make sure people don't distribute copyrighted stuff here or on our corner of steam but it's difficult. There are only so many moderators and we don't recognize everything.

BTW, I think you mean Degica not Disgea.

6. Little Paw

Little Paw Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Doing this would be the dumbest thing the RPG Maker devs could do.

There has been HUGE, MASSIVE, IMMENSE backlash against paid mods. People are even boycotting Steam entirely over it. There's a petition that has reached over 60k signatures in one day demanding that Valve get rid of paid mods.

Do not support this. Valve needs to get rid of it or they will sink. Nobody is pleased with this.

7. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I disagree Little Paw.

What happened to Skyrim makes much more sense for RPG Maker VX Ace.

A 5$ horse armor can make much more sense for RM Devs who can use it in their games..

There are definitely still issues to be sorted out, I don't argue against that. My argument is rather that for VX Ace it certainly is not the dumbest thing devs could do.

Btw. can you buy and access Skyrim mods without owning skyrim? I.e. would buying resources on the VX Ace workshop require buying VX Ace itself before they can be used?

*hugs*

8. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'm pretty sure you need the game to buy stuff on the workshop.

Also, I have no problem with Paid Workshop content, people worked hard on their resources, it's only fair they should get something back for their effort.

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    IF they worked hard for it...

Unfortunately whenever money is involved, you need some sort of quality control to prevent abuse. Does steam have a screening process to check mods before they get into the payment program?

Appearantly not, because according to other posts (didn't check myself) there are already paid mods that either charge a lot for minimal changes, or even charge for ripped content, or content that was made by someone else.

As long as there is no screening to prevent those cases, the concept will go downhill from now...

10. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yes, as I was saying in a topic about Skyrim paid mods:

11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is why I don't think we'll ever see this system for RM. It's just a worse version of what we've already got.

Zeriab likes this.
  12. Little Paw

First Language:
    English
    I think it's a bad idea in general. I mean, someone's RPG maker project or assets is not even technically the same as a "mod". The very idea of paying for mods is absurd, laughable and downright insulting and the community at large has made it VERY clear that they feel this is the case. But I still think that RPG Maker stuff on the workshop should not allowed to be paid, simply because the entire concept of paid content on the workshop needs to be removed, and due to the immense backlash, I fully expect this to be the case when next week rolls around. I fully expect a complete backpedal and removal of the entire service. If they don't, they are going to LOSE a LOT more money than they would gain by keeping it.

13. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    There's not enough manpower to oversee the workshop and make sure that people won't sell rips or whatever. So no, I don't see it happening. It's not worth it either as it will make the company lose more money and gain almost nothing from it. We already provide DLCs and people the chance to sell their resource pack through our store.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    Zeriab likes this.
  14. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's worth pointing out that Valve is getting something like 75% of the sales revenue from mod sales, which leaves very little money for the mod-creator. It is on the verge of just not being worth the trouble.

15. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    According to this tweet, it looks like it's actually the dev (Bethesda in this case) who's profiting the most.

Easy money?

EternalShadow likes this.
  16. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    You very well might be right about that, I just recall seeing 75% being kicked around a lot. I think that 75% is split between the Developer and Valve, but not sure what those percentages are. Point is though, the mod creators themselves are getting $0.25 on the dollar.

17. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Only if the devs choose so, as per that tweet.

18. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Right, it does seem to depend a bit on the devs after reading further. However, for Skyrim, which is the only one with this paid mods thing at the moment, the bar is initially set at 25%. 

At any rate, none of this particularly inspires me to create mods, nor does it inspire me to pay for mods, but perhaps there is a market for paid mods. I guess we will have to see if this takes off or not.

Edit: Found this Forbes post regarding it, which is interesting and brings up some points:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/04/23/valve-and-bethesdas-monetized-skyrim-mods-give-content-creators-a-raw-deal/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  19. deilin

First Language:
    English
    It may be because im greenlight authorized, i can sell rm mods in workshop.

Outside a game, the only thing i can make is music packs. If i get that motivated, i'd rather do an official rm release through degica.

20. Little Paw

First Language:
    English
    To add to that, the mod creator sees not a single penny until they can be paid $100. Which means that unless your mod sells for a total of $400, you get nothing.