RPG MAKER RESOURCE PACK SURVEY

Discussion in 'Product Announcements and Sales' started by RPGMakerWeb, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've completed the survey, and one of the things that sticks out the most is that we do lean on mid evil fantasy for most content. It would be great to see some sci fi or even cyberpunk/shadow runner like materials. I'm also always up for more DS, POP, and TF content. We could definitely use some plug in packs that help orient game development past the normal battle system, and if Luna Engine were completed this year that would definitely bring in the big guns for MV.

2. Restart

Restart Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is some level of stylization in classic RPGs, true, but as sprites got bigger, the trend was to make the ratios approach more conventional human ones. If you're working with a height of 20 pixels, if you want a discernable face there's a minimum amount of pixels you need to spend on it (Mario's got his iconic mustache as a way to work around the NES's limitations - they didn't have the pixels to define a nose separate from his face without it).

However, despite being much larger than classic RPG sprites, the default-style RMMV characters don't just have heads that are almost the size of the body; the character sprites are actually mostly head.

[​IMG]

The RMMV side-view battlers have heads that are 60% of the body by height (37 pixels of head, 26 pixels of body), and the ratio on the overworld sprites are even worse (15 pixels of body, 29 pixels of head). If you compare against, say, final fantasy 6 sprites, the RMMV overworld sprites have a body that is 3 pixels longer, and a head that is 18 pixels longer.

Now, in principle the extra-large heads could be used to help differentiate characters, by giving them very different facial profiles and really distinctive looks. In practice, however, the RMMV sprites have heads that are identically shaped, so having a big head doesn't actually help give each character a distinctive look. To go back to final fantasy six again, even with a tiny block of pixels (the faces are about 6x6), the characters have different features. The RMMV sprites, on the other hand use roughly 20x20 blocks for the faces, but each head has the same profile and look.
    [​IMG]

This is, of course, largely an artifact of having sprites tied to the character generator (and keeping everything compatible and consistent), but the end result is that sprites end up emphasizing the elements that are most identical between characters.

Time fantasy is significantly better than the default style (though personally I'm still not a huge fan of the way all the heads are bean-shaped in profile).

I'm not sure how much of the target audience I am for this survey though, since I'm going with fully-custom assets. On the other hand, the reason I'm doing that is because I couldn't find what I wanted in the asset packs, so *shrug*.

Starmage likes this.
  3. DangerusMuyokoProjects

DangerusMuyokoProjects Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I feel like I was in the minority of seeing some Afro-futuristic elements in RPGMaker MV. I think it would be a nice addition, especially since no other RPGMaker tackled that subject before.

DeviTheHuman likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Restart Yeah, the MV base is huge compared to the sprites from the famous classics, not denying it. If I were to make a guess, it's because big hair is easier to draw than big clothes. I was just using those examples as a way to pin down what people are looking for, though. I've seen more than once in resource requests when people ask for a sprite that's on a no-chibi completely realistic base but what they really want is just the taller proportions, and actual realistic proportions is too realistic for them. I probably went over the top in explaining the classic pros and cons of each, since it's not necessarily an issue with the larger size of everything in MV.

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying the stylized stuff is fine, but you don't want the proportions to be so over the top bobble head like? What did you think of the taller characters released recently for the free pack?

@DangerusMuyokoProjects I'd never heard that term before, how interesting. I think most, if not all of us would like to see more diversity in settings. I think we also all want those settings in the art style we prefer, which is where things get more divided. Unusual genre and culture mashup settings are always fun, it makes both feel more alive and fresh, so I agree that it would be a fun one to see a pack for. Although, a more homogeneous and boring pack might have a broader use and sell better, which is why if a set leaves out classic fantasy castles you will most certainly be hearing about it. A lot. (I know from experience.) That's probably why there's so little actual diversity in settings. The more unusual, the less universally useful, sadly.

5. DangerusMuyokoProjects

DangerusMuyokoProjects Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    That is true. Though with the recent boom of Egypt/Arabian requests, I sense a possibility of hope. We already have a good Sultan/Djinn character one can use from the original assets at least (See in the Evil section of MV).

6. LastFabrication

LastFabrication Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Finished the survey!
    Does this mean a potential FSM update!? Here's hoping for some FSM Snow/Deserts/Volcanoes/Castles haha!

atoms and DangerusMuyokoProjects like this.
  7. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    My taste and opinion is mostly on par with what @Restart said. I also agree with @jonthefox in that VXAce’s RTP being superior to MV’s,to the point that I also use it in MV (to some extent).

Looking back, RM’s RTP have gone from tall and somewhat realistic (XP) to super saturated bob-head chibis (MV). Vx & VxAce was still pretty good in many ways. The style looks more like it would fit amongst a catalogue of random SNES JRPGs (and we also got a lot of extra expressions for those RTP sprites!). I even like VxAce’s tiles better.

I’m not saying that MV’s RTP is ugly though, it’s not. It’s decent, but the colorful grit-less tiles and bob headed sprites only really fits well in light hearted or comedy games. Achieving a more serious mood for drama and horror is not very easy.

I will end on a positive note, praising Kadokawa for their recently added bonus material (dark fantasy DLC). That was a great step in the right direction and I would pay good money to get the rest of the RTP sprite sheets redrawn in that same style. Like seriously, please make that DLC happen.

Finnuval and Starmage like this.
  8. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh my! Yes indeed! :) I think the taller MV sprites that the Dark Fantasy had was truly amazing <3 ^_^ It would truly be amazing to see more of those styles, or even a full fleshed MV Generator with the taller sprites as templates <3 :) ^_^

And btw, I also wish to add for all our talented musical composers out there! <3 It would be like, super amazing to have more music packs that are purely made for battle and boss themes! <3 Like there's this Kuragumo Fantasy BGM pack that had all battle/boss themes in it, and it would be truly amazing to have more like those! ^_^ :D

I know that there are already tons of music packs, but most only have like 3-4 battle themes, which are also great, but more of whole packs full of 'em would be heaven on earth! <3 xD :D

Mrs_Allykat likes this.
  9. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did the survey myself. We really need more Side view Battlers as well as Generator Parts for the dudes. The generator parts speak for themselves, but there are a lot of monsters that could potentially be done as far as Battlers go.

10. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @OmnislashXX I read both of your ideas together... A SV monster generator.... Hmmmmm..... :ywink:

11. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gotta stop that thought right now, because every time it comes up, people like to grab onto it. As seriously awesome as it would be, it's completely impossible. The closest you could get would be something where you pick out some body parts and not only arrange them yourself, but also do all the animation, and it can't be done with pixel art.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Kaboom. The sounds of dreams crashing :p

13. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 Great Sorcerer Ainz Ooal Gown-sama Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a dream... I have a dream!

14. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's turned into a nightmare.

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  15. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I can confirm... I read someone else wanting me to side-front-back battler another dragon in pixelation mode and... and... *growls*

16. KaBlooZio

KaBlooZio The Blue Magi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh hey, maybe that first person dungeon crawler plugin we got teased with forever ago! When might we see that? :3