AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So recently, dearest RPG Maker user and provider of plugins and scripts, Moghunter has disappeared taking all of his work along with him. While this terrible loss has ripped a hole in the fabric of this community, it is important to address an elephant not just the RPG Maker community will have to face one day but the entire Video Game world as we know it..Is preserving what we have so future generations will be able to see them.

"Most lost films are from the silent film and early talkie era, from about 1894 to 1930. Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation estimates that more than 90% of American films made before 1929 are lost, and the Library of Congress estimates that 75% of all silent films are lost forever." -Wikipedia article for Lost Film

Video games whether in their completed form or in prototype are getting lost to time. Sometimes the game was produced in too few quantity or placed on formats known for long term instability (such as floppy disks and Cassette Tapes [Yes games were stored on Audio Tapes]) or put on unprotected EPROM chips. So we must embark on a better effort to preserved what we have. Such efforts are being done on such sites as "The Cutting Room Floor" and "Hidden Palace". So we must do the same for our RPG Maker productions.

I'm calling out to all users of this forum to consider plans for the long-term storage and perhaps distribution of their work so future generations could enjoy RPG Maker from 95 to MZ. So my plan to spark interest in a RPG Maker Preservation Society dedication to saving cultural, technical, and historically important RPG Maker games, assets, marketing material, plugins, and scripts.

Moghunter's disappearance and his eradication of his RPG Maker products is a reminder and a warning sign that if we don't save what we as a community has made, the future for RPG Maker and its rich past will be gone as well.

So let's discuss, how could we minimize the effect of the total and complete disappearance of a community member.

Perhaps, maybe start an RPG Maker museum of some sort?

HiddenAlchemist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I am a huge supporter of video game and resource preservation (especially after recent matters outside of the RM community), I do have a few concerns with this. One being is that I cannot help but wonder if it may be too early to be declaring this effort.

MogHunter may have been a gifted plugin creator and a beloved contributor to the community, but he is still a person first. If he really did choose to delete his online presence by choice, then I would think he is currently dealing with a lot of stress. I'm sure he must be aware right now how devastated the community is without him, but I wouldn't want him to think that people only appreciated him for his plugins alone.

I'm much more concerned for his personal well-being and would like to know if he is doing okay first.

Edit: And is it also fair to be calling this a "memorial" project? MogHunter didn't die and he may not want this much attention on him.

The second thing is that some plugin creators, namely Yanfly and those in the VisuStella communities, do not condone redistribution. I trust though that they have their own plans in place for preservation. But it still needs to be said that some creators may not wish for their work to be redistributed, and by extension, may not wish for other people to preserve their works.

It's a tricky thing. Because while I absolutely agree that these are things that are worth and should be preserved, it's also equally important that we respect the wishes of the creators as well.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
if we don't save what we as a community has made, the future for RPG Maker and its rich past will be gone as well.
Let's be very clear: "the community" is not entitled to save anything. The plugins that are developed and made available are done so based upon their author's terms of use.

Moghunter's plugins were not made, as you say it, "as a community." They were developed by Moghunter.

Taking a look at Moghunter's terms of use as archived by Wayback Machine, there is nothing referencing distribution or hosting the plugins elsewhere. Meaning you do not have permission from the developer to distribute or host their work elsewhere.

If that changes, great. But the notion of lifting a developer's work because they decided to make it no longer available and that's inconvenient for you is wrong.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
BTW If we do get an RPG Maker Museum going, I will gladly donate all my project folders including both released and unreleased games so we could store them for the long term.

Let's be very clear: "the community" is not entitled to save anything. The plugins that are developed and made available are done so based upon their author's terms of use.

Moghunter's plugins were not made, as you say it, "as a community." They were developed by Moghunter.

Taking a look at Moghunter's terms of use as archived by Wayback Machine, there is nothing referencing distribution or hosting the plugins elsewhere. Meaning you do not have permission from the developer to distribute or host their work elsewhere.

If that changes, great. But the notion of lifting a developer's work because they decided to make it no longer available and that's inconvenient for you is wrong.
While I am a huge supporter of video game and resource preservation (especially after recent matters outside of the RM community), I do have a few concerns with this. One being is that I cannot help but wonder if it may be too early to be declaring this effort.

MogHunter may have been a gifted plugin creator and a beloved contributor to the community, but they are still a person first. If they really did choose to delete their online presence by choice, then I would think they are currently dealing with a lot of stress. I'm sure they must be aware right now how devastated the community is without them, but I wouldn't want them to think that people only appreciated them for their plugins alone.

I'm much more concerned for their personal well-being and would like to know if they're doing okay first.

The second thing is that some plugin creators, namely Yanfly and those in the VisuStella communities, do not condone redistribution. I trust though that they have their own plans in place for preservation. But it still needs to be said that some creators may not wish for their work to be redistributed, and by extension, may not wish for other people to preserve their works.

It's a tricky thing. Because while I absolutely agree that these are things that are worth and should be preserved, it's also equally important that we respect the wishes of the creators as well.
Okay so I'm not a complete stranger to this and I should have mentioned it but we must also consider if people want their stuff gone by order of themselves and that if they have a terms of service that prevents re-distribution then that's fine. All I am saying we should start a general effort into saving things for the long term. I also don't mean to disrespect Moghunter by using it as an opportunity to get the conversation going on Game Preservation and I am sorry if I running things a bit roughshod.

Also to the mods, sorry for double posting.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MOG hasn't been gone for 24H or so. He's probably just dealing stuff at the moment. Give him some time.

It's way too early to tell.

this, like, VERY this. dude has not even been gone for a day yet and you folx are establishing memorial societies in his name lol...clearly some of you are a bit bored/need something to do...might I suggest playing some RM games instead?

(um, that being said, there's no urgency obviously and I do think this is a bit premature but just in case if anyone has a working copy of LMBS for MV plz PM me :uswt2:

it's the only moghunter thing I want and don't have a copy of around here somewhere ORZ)

HiddenAlchemist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay so I'm not a complete stranger to this and I should have mentioned it but we must also consider if people want their stuff gone by order of themselves and that if they have a terms of service that prevents re-distribution then that's fine. All I am saying we should start a general effort into saving things for the long term. I also don't mean to disrespect Moghunter by using it as an opportunity to get the conversation going on Game Preservation and I am sorry if I running things a bit roughshod.

While I agree in principle with the effort, it would still be something that would require a coordinated approach that is respectful to the original creators. And not just...making a thread mere hours after the disappearance of one creator, as Archeia just pointed out.

At the very least, I would wait a couple days first.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While I agree in principle with the effort, it would still be something that would require a coordinated approach that is respectful to the original creators. And not just...making a thread mere hours after the disappearance of one creator, as Archeia just pointed out.

At the very least, I would wait a couple days first.
Ok I'll admit I was a bit hasty and should've waited. I'm sorry.

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It is strange that he disappeared like this. But I agree with Archeia it has not been 24 hours yet. So it is too early to know what happened.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the *idea* of a way to preserve stuff related to video games and RPGMaker is not a bad idea. Maybe we can turn the discussion in that direction instead? That way the thread still has a purpose and is not a duplicate of the other one about Mog.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I changed the forum title to avoid coming across as offensive towards Moghunter and instead steer it to the direction of idea of preservation instead; which I think OP wanted.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

He also posted these terms; I think if one set has a statement about redistribution and one doesn't, we should probably respect the time he specified one way or the other.

(similarly, I wouldn't hotlink his stuff, not that it's a possiblity atm)

É permitido usar os scripts de RGSS (Atelier-Rgss) em projetos comerciais ou não, desde que os créditos sejam mencionados.

Os scripts de RGSS estão livres para serem postados em sites ou fóruns, desde que sejam mencionados de onde foram retirados.
É proibido Linkar diretamente as Demos e os jogos de projetos.

Terms of use (Translated)
______________________Terms to use the material of this site____________________

It is allowed to use the RGSS scripts of Atelier-Rgss in projects commercial or private as long as both I and this site are mentioned in the credits.
Scripts of RGSS are free to be posted in sites or other forums, as long as there is mention where they originated .
It is forbidden to link directly to the demos and/or games/projects of this site.

AoDLegacy

Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope that the future brings change to copyright to allow games to be memorialized as works of art. Things are too strict right now, and developers don't always care much for the long term. And with the advent of online service style games, we will undoubtedly lose even more games as time continues.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the end it is up to the content creator , be it Mogg or anyone else who, where, when and for how long they want their stuff out there.

Sure it's a blow to those of us (i am one of Them when it comes to coding) who are dependant in the good Will of others... But Lets face IT, it is good will.

If they were payed , okay then its a different story, but they are not so... Yeah, it sucks but they have that perogative plain and simple.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't really morally agree with pulling things or putting behind a paywall or such stuff like that myself, but I do agree that people should have their own choice whether they'll make a good decision or not, and I still wish nothing but the very best for anyone going through struggling times (I personally know how it is to struggle in life so my heart goes out bunches to anyone else doing so). Hope the community moves with kindness and attention to the creator's/dev's wishes.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't really morally agree with pulling things or putting behind a paywall or such stuff like that myself, but I do agree that people should have their own choice whether they'll make a good decision or not, and I still wish nothing but the very best for anyone going through struggling times (I personally know how it is to struggle in life so my heart goes out bunches to anyone else doing so). Hope the community moves with kindness and attention to the creator's/dev's wishes.
Yeah i feel the same but in the end it is their choice to make as you say and we Just need to accept that

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah i feel the same but in the end it is their choice to make as you say and we Just need to accept that
Ah yeah I just wanted to make note that people should be respectful whether their personal belief clashes with another's or not. u wu' I do so hate to see animosity of any kind over something like......a game maker program. lol

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the resource preservation topic itself.

I would say yes for "dead links". However, if the actual sources had been taken down by the creator personally, then respect them. Even with the "dead links" case, if the creator explicitly states not giving permission to preserve, then respect them.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a case. Get all the evidence to prosecute some bad guys. :kaojoy:
But, the game development schedule delayed. :kaoswt2:
The moral of the story: No good deed goes unpunished... I guess...
Except that, nothing to see here. :kaoswt2:
just beat ff7 original for the first time since 2010. having played remake last year, I have a much better appreciation for the original oddly enough. I still like some of the character presentation in remake more, but the original's got a lot going for it.
Ever reach that moment in your life when your juggling a dozen or more projects that you know will never be made but don't have the heart to delete them? Ugh, I hate those moments...
:kaosigh: Why must you hurt me so?
my main character isn't the warrior of light or the chosen one, he's a self righteous, invasive try hard who gets ahead of himself and makes a critical error, resulting in a downward moral spiral that, eventually, leads him to truths that make him a better man, and im DAMN proud of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tocurse