Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd encourage people worried about resources getting lost in the future to look into putting their stuff under a creative commons license.

Having a boilerplate contract removes ambiguity about what is allowed to a great extent, and attaches the rights information to the asset in a stickier way (since anyone using it in their project is legally obligated to say who made it and what license it's under, unless you decide to go full public domain).

An important (and often overlooked) part of preservation is taking steps so things created today can be more easily used in the future.

Last edited:

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaoswt2:
I am a bit surprised you have not had this very idea for so long.
It's like after all those thousands of RPG Maker 2000, 2003, XP, VX, VXA resources are all gone after all those RPG Maker communities all over the world disappear, finally, someone starts a movement like this.

One thing I have made sure of is, the entire history of NEOLITHIC in the last 16 years is well-preserved alongside everything attaches to it. (Mostly art assets. Unfortunately, not many script assets as I am mostly writing scripts by myself.) As long as I stand, the world will not fall. But, I am doing that on a very limited personal level.
(I am almost preparing to be the last active RMXP developer on earth. :p )

It's glad to see you are doing this on a community level which can certainly preserve much more.
:kaojoy:

VK_Vorpal King

VN & RM Game Creator
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Other
I hope moghunter will provide a statement regarding the matter he just disappeared from all the platforms he uses... it had only been 24 hours that he'd been missing, maybe he needed some time to think about all these things.

Last edited:

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
(I am almost preparing to be the last active RMXP developer on earth. :p )

I still worked with XP mostly up until MZedd's release. I was stubborn and wanted a RPG Maker that matched or finally succeeded it. I am very pickyky. I was never very good at scripting but XP's scripts were much less confusing than the JS stuff right off the bat. XD I'll learn JS......eventually.

XP and MZedd's still gonna be my main makers. So there's still plenty market for XP.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is why we need a bunch of these scripts, or rather what they add to RPG Maker, baked into the engine by default. Who knows when the next scripter will decide to up and leave and take their toys with them. Sure, it's within their rights to do so, but it's not exactly fair on everyone else. We shouldn't need to rely on community scripters for things like hud changes and title screen customisation, but here we are.

Anyway, I'm in favour of people coming together to preserve scripts and other resources for future use, even if this forum isn't the place to store and share said resources.

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is why we need a bunch of these scripts, or rather what they add to RPG Maker, baked into the engine by default. Who knows when the next scripter will decide to up and leave and take their toys with them. Sure, it's within their rights to do so, but it's not exactly fair on everyone else. We shouldn't need to rely on community scripters for things like hud changes and title screen customisation, but here we are.
Agreed. If anyone should be taking notes, it's the RPG Maker development team.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Has there been a similar effort made for XP scripts?
I think not, and I don't think javascript for MV and MZ either, observation that I leave as a suggestion to the staff.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think project/game preservation is important because it makes sure people of future generations can enjoy your work. Although it ultimately depends on whether they want to share or not. I recently watched a YouTube video by Max Derrat that talked about remaking old games on newer hardware, especially games that had a limited print or are rare.

I hope moghunter will provide a statement regarding the matter he just disappeared from all the platforms he uses... it had only been 24 hours that he'd been missing, maybe he needed some time to think about all these things.
I agree with you, it is concerning.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think project/game preservation is important because it makes sure people of future generations can enjoy your work. Although it ultimately depends on whether they want to share or not. I recently watched a YouTube video by Max Derrat that talked about remaking old games on newer hardware, especially games that had a limited print or are rare.

I agree with you, it is concerning.
The only downside with this is that you're still at the mercy of the owner of the original game. In the vast majority of cases they'll simply hit you with C&D papers (which is a fancy legal way of saying "no thanks and we're not interested so you may as well pack up"). You may also be sued out of your operations entirely, particularly by some of the more sensitive companies in the business.

But for something like this I do agree that something needs to be done.

EDIT: I should note that recreating certain types of one-off releases (such as PT) could potentially get a pass, and sometimes a company which is bound to stricter legal responsibilities can still be a little more flexible if there's no other option. To name an example, I believe that I read somewhere that Mother 3 doesn't make sense to officially localize in today's market due to its content... and yet the community has filled that void regardless. And theoretically you can make a case for certain types of ROM hacks and similar projects (for as long as they can reasonably count as fan art, of course). But you still have to be careful that you don't go too far with it.

Last edited:

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mog is back, and has mentioned he has lost some of his recent stuff.

It might be kind if we got together a pack of whatever he was missing, and someone who knows him sent it over (don't want to pester the guy, obviously, but losing stuff you made always sucks)

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I still worked with XP mostly up until MZedd's release. I was stubborn and wanted a RPG Maker that matched or finally succeeded it. I am very pickyky. I was never very good at scripting but XP's scripts were much less confusing than the JS stuff right off the bat. XD I'll learn JS......eventually.

XP and MZedd's still gonna be my main makers. So there's still plenty market for XP.

I have a backup CD of some of the older XP scripts as well but it's get really complicated due to the script creators. I would love to be a preservation of the older makers especially since there's a thread in RMN doing this for the 2000/2003 games and that in itself has issues.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Whew, just finished a whirlwind of deadlines. Finally a tiny break. You know...I should go update my 2020 banner now.
image_2021-06-16_153010.png

Why are barrels to difficult? xD I feel like i Barrel...y made it....eh EHHH!? :p
Bluh... glad this present heatwave is coming to a close...
Look what I found, it was my first ABS.

This project was never completed because I had lost the computer where it was stored.
Character Creator for RPGM 2000, VX, XP, & LPC Style Sprites | RPG Maker News #72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cafas