Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Description

The RPG Maker Review Game is a thread meant to allow project developers to gain quick feedback from their peers while also offering their own perspective on other projects either in development or otherwise finished.  The idea is simple – you review someone’s game, someone else reviews yours.

How This Works

1. One person will post their game in the next post in the format explained below.

2. A potential reviewer will “claim” the posted game by posting a “Reserved” post, to be edited later.

3. That reviewer will download the posted game and play it for AT LEAST 15-20 minutes, or until they feel they’ve accumulated enough data to give decent feedback.

4. The reviewer will then post their review of the game they just played in this thread (the poster of the game being reviewed can also request for the review to be posted on their game’s download page; a common courtesy, though, should be that it’s headed with “From the RPG Maker Review Game Thread”)

5. In the same post in this thread, the reviewer will then post a link to their own game to be reviewed by someone else.

6. The cycle then repeats ad infinitum.

7. If a game has been "claimed", no one should try and post their own review of the game until the reviewer has finished.  As a guideline for now, the reviewer is allowed up to three days until someone else can swoop in and claim a game for their own.  If you can't make the time to play through someone's game (and no one's game should take three whole days just to get the gist), then wait until you do have time. This is to ensure the game doesn't stall out.

8. Likewise, if no one has claimed a game in three days, then someone else can post their own game without reviewing the game causing the stall.  In order to prevent people just farming reviewers without participating, you will have to pick another game at your own discretion to review.  It would also be nice of you to request permission to do so in the event that they have some seething hatred against people writing things about their game in a different thread.

9. (Added rule) To avoid farming reviews by reviewing every other game, try to wait until at least two other players have had the chance to post their own reviews and games.  Obviously this won't apply initially, as there might not be that many playing yet, but in the future if this thread gets 9 trillion people this will apply.

10. (Added rule) In the event that the game stalls because everyone has already reviewed everyone else's game and no newcomers have come in, one can review the next 15 or so minutes of a game they've already played if they haven't finished the whole thing.  On that note, it's also suggested to state at where in the game you've stopped.

11. Finally, if the thread just stalls out for whatever reason and no one reviews or posts anything, then... I don't know.  Someone will summon Satan and we'll be forced to hand out toothbrushes during Halloween.

Post Format

The post should be split into two parts: your review and the game you want reviewed.  Obviously this won’t apply to the first person who posts.  As a general rule, a review should at the very least state if the game is fun or not, and why you would think so.

Constructive criticism is the aim here.  The review should help the developer, not make them want to quit.  If you don’t think their game is fun, explain why and offer some tips to better the experience.  On the flip side, those wanting reviews should expect criticism, and not take every little detail like the reviewer is personally trying to murder your dog.

The second part of the post should obviously include a link to your game’s download page, but a brief synopsis of what your game’s about, what you’re aiming to do with it, what genre it’s in, what kind of reaction you’re going for, the RPG Maker your game was made in, etc. should help a potential reviewer know what they need to say about the game in order to help.  If you want to keep these elements a mystery, that’s fine, but keep in mind that with less information going in, the reviewer will likely have no idea how to respond other than some broad, emotional feedback.  Which might be a good thing depending on the project.

The next two posts will be fake ones I will write to give a better example of what this all looks like.

Disclaimer

Since I’m a complete nubcake to this forum’s community, please let me know if this is inappropriate or if it belongs somewhere else or if your grandma was offended by my liberal use of numbered lists.  None of these guidelines are meant to be permanent, as it’s impossible to know without experience how this will all turn out; if tweaking of this thread exchange is needed, then it’ll be tweaked.  If someone comes up with a better way to do something and it’s agreed upon by a majority, then it’ll certainly be implemented.  As mentioned, the aim is to circulate feedback that would otherwise be foreign to new developers (or old, I dunno).  This will probably be more useful to those in Early Feedback or Project Development, but Completed Games might get some reviews that are considered helpful.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me so the thread is focused on reviews and posted games.  Maybe in time we'll be lucky and the Admin Gods will grant some kind of a sub-thread that allows for everyone to blab incessantly about how great hot dogs are or something.

In any case, below are the posts mentioned above that will show how this will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[First post, therefore no review is needed.]

Hi guys, pleeeeeeease review my game: “the Full House Chronicles: Sith Lord Ascension”!

Synopsis: Danny leads the household on a quest that might annoy the neighbors.

Genre: Western

RPG Maker: XP

What I’m Aiming For: A thorough look at how modern economics affects the relationship between the middle class and lower class; expect this to be more story orientated with dialogue and choices, rather than extensive gameplay!

[And anything else that you might want to say.]

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[Second post, thus a review is warranted.]

Reserved for Full House Chronicles: Sith Lord Ascension

My review for “the Full House Chronicles: Sith Lord Ascension”

This game wasn’t all that fun for me.  Literally billions of irreverent characters all show up at the same time, all with nonsensical dialogue that crashed the game within minutes.  I suggest spacing out the beginning, middle, and end of your story and not to have so many events that physically prevent the game from being played.  On the plus side, the music was great.

----------------

[Then the reviewer posts their own game, like above.]

Please review my game, “My Date with Sephiroth and Hello Kitty.”

Synopsis: I don’t want to share anything about the game.  It’s meant to be a mystery going in!  Please also post your review on the game’s download page.

RPG Maker: MV 

[Then someone else will come in and review this person’s game, continuing the cycle.]

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi, I am actually in favor of this very idea itself! it's good to see the RPG maker community become more active in reviewing each other's games!! :D  

Hmm, I'm probably the first... so here goes:

Hi everyone, I would love to have a review for my game: “BlueSkies 2"

Link

Synopsis: A story unravels at the world of "Vyen" revolving around a young mage/healer named "Lyrelle" who struggles during her life-time in an active series of witch-hunting. as a certain holy order seeks out to end the era of magic once and for all due to a past bloodshed involving magic. Will Lyrelle survive this era of hatred towards her kind?...will the order ever consider those who possesses magic but has no bad intentions?

Genre: Fantasy, Classical.

RPG Maker: XP

What I’m Aiming For: I'm aiming for that old-school RPG vibe with the game, and at the same time fleshing out it's own unique and vibrant story and set of characters with a whole new world to explore and discover. I also wish I could maintain that emotionally driven story-line as well as a gameplay that allows control and tactics in battles.

Notes: A few notes regarding the game's demo: if any reviewer wishes to try my game, there's currently a problem with an error when all party member dies and only 1 survives. and I'm still looking for help in finding ways to fix this.. so umm.. if possible, try not to let any party member die in order for you to press-on with the demo. xDD

Would be glad to see this event come to life! :D  

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sounds interesting! My game has been reviewed sufficiently (and the demo is 6 months outdated), but I'll be sure to post it here once I get around to updating it!

Edit: Though, would anyone object if I did a 2nd review of a game on here as RL allows?

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds interesting! My game has been reviewed sufficiently (and the demo is 6 months outdated), but I'll be sure to post it here once I get around to updating it!

Edit: Though, would anyone object if I did a 2nd review of a game on here as RL allows?

This is allowed.  There is no limit to how many games anyone is allowed to review at once, but the next reviewer doesn't have to match that number.  They are only obligated to review the previously posted game.

Current game up for grabs: BlueSkies 2

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Reserved for BlueSkies 2.  In this instance I am allowed three days to play and review the game.  At the minimum, I will play 15-20 minutes.

Double posted for the sake of bumping the thread for now.  Let me know if this is a mortal sin and I will attempt to repent.

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My Review for "BlueSkies 2".

As it was a demo, I planned to play all the way through, but I stopped for a reason I'll explain below - though it was not out of a lack of enjoyment for the overall experience.  For what I did play, it was fun; the gameworld felt fleshed out, I had fun learning about the characters, and I thought the gameplay itself was well planned out.

Firstly, I'd like to commend the maps.  This is what quickly stuck out to me.  They are very pretty, making wandering through something like a forest feel very enchanting.  I don't remember seeing anything that looked unfinished or bland; surprising for a game this early in its development.

As for the game itself, I am a fan of the concept.  There is a lot of potential for having the strengths/weakness via elements route, and it can allow for some good customization.  I also think it was very clever to have a character who has a spell for every element while the main one heals.  Very quickly introduces the concept and lets the player experiment to understand the game's rules.  In with the battle system I'll also say I rather like the inclusion of voice acting for the characters as they fight - to me it was just charmingly cheesy, especially with River's "We'll cross our blades in the name of dreams!"  Reminds me of one of my favorite games, Skies of Arcadia.

As for the story (spoilers ahead), I think there is a lot of potential.  I like that the main character is immediately enthralled with the first guy she meets that is remotely polite to her; seems realistic to me given her sheltered life.  I also loved the bit with the overlapped dialogue boxes, very effective.  The part about the overall story I like the most though is how the magic users are portrayed as these horrible terrorists, forcing the non-magic users to rightfully fight back and condemn them.  Flash forward a billion years and now we play as someone who is hated and sees regular people as enemies.  It creates a pretty interesting dilemma.

The only real issue I had with the story is the main lead.  It's definitely a style choice, so it's not an overall negative, but she just felt a little too "kawaii" to me - in that she'll continue to call her parents "mommy" and "daddy", amongst other dialogue.  Not a huge deal, just irked me given her age.

Last thing I'll talk about is what I mentioned in the beginning.  The reason I ended up quitting (I stopped after reaching the cave at the top of the mountain - beautiful map, by the way) is because of the enemies.  I feel that their difficulty is just a bit too steep for this early in the game.  As River, alone, fighting against three enemies ended up knocking my health down to a quarter of what I had, forcing me to escape.  Given the physical enemy placement, it then becomes a chore just to try and get around said enemies to not initiate a battle that can't really be won.  Once I got to the cave, I realized I wasn't going to have the patience to try and defeat RPG Maker sprite AI.  If these battles were balanced better, I'd definitely go back to see what's going to happen next - it's definitely an interesting plot, with a lot being set up.

-------

Please review my game, Geiken.

Synopsis:  This is about you and your relationship with the world you are put in.  You are to meet with several characters, all integral to the story, and are asked to either engage as you deem appropriate or sit back and let events unfold as they happen.  You will start on a small island with no control.  Any further detail will only serve to give you an advantage over what is meant to be your fate, something you must learn to either accept or overcome.

Genre: Mystery, fantasy, sci-fi

Maker: VX Ace (demo is in VX for now).

What I'm Aiming For: Story-driven RPG with an emphasis on choice based around the concept of futility, the acceptance of it, and deciding what's best for the future without having the required knowledge beforehand to make accurate decisions.  It should be noted that the story and dialogue are what's being developed at the moment, meaning maps are bland and there is no battle system yet.  Gameplay at this point is derived from making story choices and exploring the world as it is now.  It's possible to call it an "interactive novel" at this point.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
*I transferred my reply for your review to my thread of BlueSkies 2 now, so that I won't flood this thread!* :)

As for your game!! I will gladly give it a try and share my thoughts in your thread! but it's a personal review.. so your game will still be free to review on anyone who wishes to take it in this thread! ;)  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

DenRebrov wrote on Celianna's profile.
Seliana, will you be making desert tiles in the ancient dungeon?
Working on a casual shirt and jeans for female MZ gen. Woo.
Crazy idea: a crossover game made to showcase different RPG Maker games. Dimension crossing is involved and you get to play as different people's characters in some wacky nonsense plot.
HexMozart88 wrote on Citali's profile.
Kikuo!
The lack of bike trails and bungee jump areas in this city should be criminalized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tenchi30