Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey!

So I'll start off by saying I usually use older version fo RPG maker MV because newer ones lag more on deployment, the older version of RPG maker MV use a folder called saves and save the files in there. Meaning when I tell my playerbase to update their game folders they just know to update the save folder with the new save files.

Now because my new game requires the newer addition that RPG maker MV had where it auto-caps the game to run at the desired 60FPS frame-rate, I'm deploying my games via the new version of RPG maker MV.

With that out the way... (TL;DR I use old RPG maker MV and unfamiliar with newer versions)

I noticed with the newer RPG maker MV that the save folder no longer exists, and instead the saves are located elsewhere on the computer? I'm guessing Appdata but I'm unsure? An answer to this would be great.

What's weirder to me is, when I gave a test version of my game to a friend, he was looking for a place to transfer the save files from his previous version of the game to the newer version I gave to him.

Except somehow, RPG maker MV somehow knew to use the old save files from the previous folder into the new folder. So it worked like a dream, but how did RPG maker MV know to move the old save files from the old version of the game to the new one without any user input?

What would stop say, RPG maker MV from transfering those save files into any different future projects I try to do?

Sorry if this is a long rant, but I looked for answers online and all the first results are plugins for saving to local folders like in the older versions of RPG maker MV.

BalticoX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello the piece you got wrong is that the save folder does not exist in new version of RPG Maker MV. It still exists, it’s just that when you deploy your game that folder does not exists yet until the user saves its first game, then the save folder is created inside www folder and within the save files. I guess your friend just copy the new game over the old folder and the www/save folder was not overwritten so his saved games are still there. Games are not saved on a common place and are lost if the save folder is moved, deleted or overwritten.
On Mac OS, a packaged app still have the save folder under

Game.app/Contents/Resources/app.nw/save

Also, if you are distributing your game as single EXE for example using Enigma Virtual Box, you will need to crated a www/save folder on the same level as the exe and zip them together.

Symbol_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello the piece you got wrong is that the save folder does not exist in new version of RPG Maker MV. It still exists, it’s just that when you deploy your game that folder does not exists yet until the user saves its first game, then the save folder is created inside www folder and within the save files. I guess your friend just copy the new game over the old folder and the www/save folder was not overwritten so his saved games are still there. Games are not saved on a common place and are lost if the save folder is moved, deleted or overwritten.

Also, if you are distributing your game as single EXE for example using Enigma Virtual Box, you will need to crated a www/save folder on the same level as the exe and zip them together.
Huh, I'll get him to re-look at his folder and files, thanks for this

Symbol_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Yeah so its happening on mine as well, I don't seem to have any plugins that are even redirecting the games save data anywhere else, theres just no save folder despite having save data on there

BalticoX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Friend, check the value of
StorageManager.localFileDirectoryPath
That will give you file location
You will need to check the value using a script, or from console (developers tools) check the value using console.log(StorageManager.localFileDirectoryPath)

Symbol_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Friend, check the value of
That will give you file location
You will need to check the value using a script, or from console (developers tools) check the value using console.log(StorageManager.localFileDirectoryPath)
Its saving on the route directory of the C drive, under save...isn't that extremely bad? What if there was already a folder called save there, wouldn't it overwrite it?

BalticoX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes thats bad, 100% one of the plugins you are using is overwriting the value of that variable, unless you made changes to the original game scripts which I don’t think you did. Look for the script that is changing the value, and fix it. If you still think there is no plugin making the change, create a new project and check the value of
On the new project if the path is still root, reinstall RPG Maker MV.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually use older version fo RPG maker MV
What is the version you are using (as shown in the rpg_core.js file)?

What plugins do you have?

In your C:\SAVES folder, do all the files just have a generic name and number, or is the game name a part of the save file name?

Symbol_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is the version you are using (as shown in the rpg_core.js file)?

What plugins do you have?

In your C:\SAVES folder, do all the files just have a generic name and number, or is the game name a part of the save file name?
The files inside the save folder on C is called file1.rpgsave

UPDATE:

Things get weirder, when publishing the game via the older RPG maker, the game publishes as it should with the save folder being created in the correct place.

So its only when publishing with the newer RPG maker does it put the save folder in the C registry.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd be surprised. The save folder is determined by the core scripts. Using an older or newer editor is not going to have any effect, unless you also change the scripts in the project, which is a manual step.

You didn't answer my other questions.

Symbol_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is the list of plugins im using
(I should mention, apart from this weird problem, all these plugins work fine as is and the bottom plugin remains off when publishing. And the problem still persists where it creates save folders on older versions of rpg maker mv and not newer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Here's a sample of some pixel edits I made.

Maybe for use as sidewalks.

If you want to use them, Credit me and Enterbrain for this. Only for use with rpgmaker vxace
If there are any mods or admins online, could you please see about the re-translation pages for RPG Maker MV? They are all down :rsad:
Werewolf cons: you lose control of yourself once a month and could accidentally kill your friends. Vampire cons: no garlic bread. The choice is simple. Werewolf for sure.
2 huge market drops in 2 days. So glad I sold my non-dividend stocks about 2 weeks ago. And if the dividend ones drop heavily, hey more cheap stocks for me!
My tutorial is live! It covers using Yanfly's weapon unleash to replace the basic attack skill with a more dynamic version depending on which weapon type the actor has equipped. It also includes how to import a custom function used to generate a random number within supplied minimum and maximum values, used in the replaced skills, to give weapons a set damage range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkyyy