m1y4mura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any programs with good tile based map making where I could build maps for my game in rpg maker?
The mapping there is fine but I'm getting a little bit frustrated with the tileset limitation. I could use a photo editing software, but working whit autotiles that way is a pain in the ass.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
probably not in the way you want it - there are a few editors, but the result is usually a picture requiring parallax mapping to get back into the engine.

you might try TilEd - there is a plugin for that editor, so you might be able to read its results without parallaxing, but I never used it and can't tell what it does.

m1y4mura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's okay if it generates a picture, I don't mind doing some parallax mapping

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TileD is a powerfull tool with unlimited layers, but can be complicated
to set it up correctly as there is demo for it.

I use Photoshop for parallaxing, Krita or Gimp might work too,
but autotiles is something I extend first, than place it around on the grid.

m1y4mura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll check TileD out then
My problem is that I like detailing a lot, especially in exterior maps, and I'm too lazy to create custom tilesets for every single map I make
Especially when I use custom roofs and I can put only two per map, it's really frustrating

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
good luck anyways, I tryt to make my town map, slow progress, but become
nicely, but I dont mind combining tiles as it can make tiles unique.

parallax mapping is most control how to place them, some need to be
specific placed based on events.

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Cyclone map editor by huddell is a decent in game editor that adds quite a bit of functionality compared to the default editor. There is also an additional plugin to load the B C and D tiles from another tileset to be used on the same map as tiles E F and G. It lets you choose the current layer or auto layer so full control of 4 layers and you can set custom tile size as well. The only issues are that extra tiles don't show up in the default editor and mv version collision is buggy. Oh, mz version has a "magic brush" that you can paint and erase organic ish, off grid, paths between layers 1 and 2. And mzs collisions work and it's a good system. Oh also redo! And you can set icons to regions to help remember what regions do what in your game. Umm... and lastly you can right click autotiles to see and select all tile variations for easier shift mapping. Being able to edit while playtesting can be a big timesaver too.

Lol. Not purposely trying to sell it. One big downside is Huddell barely supporting it anymore. Especially the mv version. The collision system is so good but broken on mv. Also no magic brush for mv even though he has said it's possible before one of his disappearances.

Anyway it's cyclone map editor[MV] NOT cyclone maps[MV]. Two different plugins. And cyclone extra tilesets[MV] and cyclone magic brush.

One more thing. With the extra tilesets I have been able to basically use a 768x768 image as my ground layer and have a full sheet of plants and a full sheet of shadows and then sill have thre normal 3 sheets of non auto tiles we usually get.

Last edited:

MrMikeOnaBike

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
TileD is a powerfull tool with unlimited layers, but can be complicated
to set it up correctly as there is demo for it.

I use Photoshop for parallaxing, Krita or Gimp might work too,
but autotiles is something I extend first, than place it around on the grid.
Are there any good tutorials for TileD? The name itself makes searching for them harder...

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MrMikeOnaBike
here is one (bit outdated (2015)), but I think the basics are still the same
to the current version, maybe placed else where found [here].

I do believe there is a newer version, but basics tells you how to use it.
there is also some advanced on how to set certain things, how to add code
and collision for more control.

demo project for MV is here and MZ here.

I suggest to check the demo how it is used and what you must do to make
it work correctly though.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyzerKiba