Status
Not open for further replies.

Muerten

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whenever I try to type in Kanji in the game I am working on, it comes out as blank blocks. The script editor also shows Japanese characters as blocks in the character tables part.

When I paste it into here, it works, though.

JAPAN1 = [ 'あ','い','う','え','お',  'が','ぎ','ぐ','げ','ご',

'か','き','く','け','こ',  'ざ','じ','ず','ぜ','ぞ',

When I playtest the game, the main menu shows the characters properly.

Are there settings for the editor that I can change to make this show up correctly while I'm editing?

Thank you very much.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do think there is an option somewhere on the scripts that tell whether the language is japanese or not. I think kanji will only work if you set the game to be japanese or if you're using a kanji font.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weird, because I've seen japanese characters in the editor - to be more precise, in the name character section

Muerten

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much for replying.

Do you know how to change the font for the editor? I've been looking for awhile, and I can see some scripts on how to change the font for the game, but not the editor itself.

The text looks fine in the game, thankfully, but it seems as if whatever font the editor is using doesn't support Japanese characters.

Is there an option somewhere to change it? The help file doesn't seem to indicate this to be the case. The fonts folder under RPG Maker under steam has "VL-Gothic-Regular", which appears to support the characters I'm looking for, but the editor still gives me blocks. So I would wager that there's some configuration on the editor itself I need to fix.

Thank you, Engr. Adiktuzmiko. It's strange, because it does seem to work in the game, without me having done any script changes. Just the editor seems weird.

Waterguy, did you make any changes to the editor or its configuration somewhere that might have enabled that? Or did it always let you see Japanese characters?

I can see them fine on my system, and can type them out in other programs (Windows 7, if it's relevant), maybe there's some configuration there?

I'll include a screenshot of what I mean by blocks, too.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Yf7NNfe.png[/IMG]

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nope, just checked the Window_NameImput and found ths in it:

Code:
  JAPAN1 = [ 'あ','い','う','え','お',  'が','ぎ','ぐ','げ','ご',             'か','き','く','け','こ',  'ざ','じ','ず','ぜ','ぞ',             'さ','し','す','せ','そ',  'だ','ぢ','づ','で','ど',             'た','ち','つ','て','と',  'ば','び','ぶ','べ','ぼ',             'な','に','ぬ','ね','の',  'ぱ','ぴ','ぷ','ぺ','ぽ',             'は','ひ','ふ','へ','ほ',  'ぁ','ぃ','ぅ','ぇ','ぉ',             'ま','み','む','め','も',  'っ','ゃ','ゅ','ょ','ゎ',             'や','ゆ','よ','わ','ん',  'ー','~','・','=','☆',             'ら','り','る','れ','ろ',  'ゔ','を',' ','カナ','決定']  JAPAN2 = [ 'ア','イ','ウ','エ','オ',  'ガ','ギ','グ','ゲ','ゴ',             'カ','キ','ク','ケ','コ',  'ザ','ジ','ズ','ゼ','ゾ',             'サ','シ','ス','セ','ソ',  'ダ','ヂ','ヅ','デ','ド',             'タ','チ','ツ','テ','ト',  'バ','ビ','ブ','ベ','ボ',             'ナ','ニ','ヌ','ネ','ノ',  'パ','ピ','プ','ペ','ポ',             'ハ','ヒ','フ','ヘ','ホ',  'ァ','ィ','ゥ','ェ','ォ',             'マ','ミ','ム','メ','モ',  'ッ','ャ','ュ','ョ','ヮ',             'ヤ','ユ','ヨ','ワ','ン',  'ー','~','・','=','☆',             'ラ','リ','ル','レ','ロ',  'ヴ','ヲ',' ','英数','決定']  JAPAN3 = [ 'A','B','C','D','E',  'a','b','c','d','e',             'F','G','H','I','J',  'f','g','h','i','j',             'K','L','M','N','O',  'k','l','m','n','o',             'P','Q','R','S','T',  'p','q','r','s','t',             'U','V','W','X','Y',  'u','v','w','x','y',             'Z','[',']','^','_',  'z','{','}','|','~',             '0','1','2','3','4',  '!','#','$','%','&',             '5','6','7','8','9',  '(',')','*','+','-',             '/','=','@','<','>',  ':',';',' ','かな','決定']

Ghaleon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know since I haven't used this program very much at all but I could have sworn I saw some kind of "unicode, ansi, etc" option somewhere or another... I could be mistaking that for something else though =(.

edit: Works for me

http://i57.tinypic.com/e87hwg.png

The only thing I can think of that might help is to run your computer with Japanese locale...but given you know kanji you probably already are.

If not, go under control panels (for your system), region and language, administrative, change system locale, and select Japanese. That MIGHT work, I mean this generally always works whenever people have this problem for games, but it'd be really weird that the program can make games that don't require this but the editor itself needs you to change the system locale =P

Last edited by a moderator:

Muerten

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much. Changing the locale of my computer to Japanese made the characters show up properly.

It is peculiar that the games show up properly but the editor did not, but I am not going to argue. Thank you very much for your help, Ghaleon. Thank you.

Ghaleon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yay! Glad I actually helped! Thanks for the update =).

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coffeelake01