RPG Maker Week 2019! Deep Discounts! 5 New DLC!

Discussion in 'Product Announcements and Sales' started by RPGMakerWeb, Nov 6, 2019.

1. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Answers to my own questions:
    (Based on looking at the Steam images and the RMWeb Store images)
    1. For the RPG Maker DS packs for MV the tiles are mostly the same as FES, but manually up-scaled to be 1:1 in MV. In the first pack the characters are different from the FES ones, in the second pack it seems like the characters are the same as in the FES Sci-Fi/Modern and Sengoku DLCs.
    2. Unfortunately it doesn't seem the DS packs will work with FES even though they technically include(most of) the same tiles(the characters, enemies,). DS assets have been more manually up-scaled so the pixel count on each sprite is 1:1, with FES all the pixels have been enlarged 2x to fit in MV.
    3. See #1
    These packs are still amazing and the fact that they've been up-scaled for MV means that people might be able to use them with MV RTP graphics is great.
    Although there are small differences between FES and DS I am loving the FES stuff so here's hoping you guys will release the FES DLC into a pack for MV like the FES RTP! :kaohi:

2. 8bitBartabas

8bitBartabas Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it looks very similar to the granblue fantasy style of busts as well.

3. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    for the RPG Maker VX Ace & XP Hero Pack isn't some of the assets was given out for free from one way or another like the VX Ace Email campaign in the past?

4. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It has come to my attention that MV dream pack tileset is made by FSM!?

The Stranger likes this.
  5. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Elliott404 What, really?

Okay, just read the Eula, and you're right. REFMAP is listed as the creator of the tiles, Hibiki Katakura is the maker of the characters, Ethron (never heard of them till now) made the animations, and Murray Atkinson composed the music. It's a cool little pack. :)

6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    400 000 WOOOHOOO~!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  7. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I really like the stuff you've brought us this time but I don't fully understand the difference between these new "remakes" and the stuff I already got.

I already own all of these assets one way or another (except the new dream pack obviously).

What I'd like to know is, what's really different in these remastered versions? I read something about a different pixel count? I know that the original DS and DS+ tiles where re-touched to work with VxAce's 32x32 gridsize because the original stuff were 24x24. That means the original tiles would scale beautifully to MV, but if I understand it correctly, that's not what have been done here? Or is it?

Does the DS and DS+ packs here include anything new that were in the DS games but we didn't get the last time around? Or is it exactly the same stuff, just scaled differently?

I'd also like to know how the XP stuff has been scaled and retouched? The XP backgrounds are beautiful but so low resolution (and .jpg?) in their original form that they're pretty unconvertable to MV without redrawing them. Has they been redrawn for this? Or did Kadokawa use some original artwork before it got downsized for XP for their source? ...or does they still look as pixelated as ever? Also, what about the sprites? Are they just upscaled or have they been redrawn?

I'm interested in a few of these DLC's but I feel like I can't really fork out money without knowing what I'm buying. More details needed.

Also, like someone else asked about. I'm very curious as to what this is about?
    "Although editing is permitted for this pack, the character graphics (Pictures, Face) contained in the VX Ace folder are NOT to be altered or edited in any way."
    I generally don't like my assets to come with weird clauses in their fine print.

Marquise* and Dungeonmind like this.
  8. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, staff, for fixing up the preview images of the tilesets - I've now bought the Dream Pack.

9. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just got the VX/ACE/XP just for fun. It's cute! And the SV Battlers are very well done! :)

-MIA

10. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    XP has the most visually appealing RTP. Would be willing to shell out extra for the tiles or even SV battlers. I know, sounds a bit too ambitious...

11. GalacticGod

GalacticGod Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  12. Strijdparel

Strijdparel Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    I have a question about the VX ace/Xp character pack. Could you perhaps make some screenshots of a few mv characters with the new VX ace characters in one screen shot to see how well these work together? Because I think the overwold sprites of MV and VX ace may not go that well togheter... (xp being out of the question any way because they seem a bit taller).

jonthefox likes this.
  13. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

I'd second the above request! I'm afraid that the VX characters will look out of place with the MV ones - would love to get a better look before I buy.

Strijdparel likes this.
  14. K2loid

K2loid Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    EDIT: I was curious about this, and figured if the scaling is decent it should look just fine with a little tweaking, right?

So I actually went and bought them because nostalgia, and I hope you like impromptu DLC reviews, because here's how it breaks down; the scaling isn't 1:1. In fact, it sort of has the opposite problem you'd expect;
    [​IMG]
    The spritework is TOO good, and BIGGER than MV. While MV's spritework is flat, monochromatic shading that resembles its face characters' simple look and coloured lineart, this DLC is gorgeous. The pixelling is impeccable. I tried lowering the height VXAce sprite by 3 pixels (at feet, ankles, and legs) and copying the face, but MV just looks kinda awkward and low-def in comparison. Also only comes with actors, no NPCs, which limits the kinds of stories you can tell with just these assets. Doesn't come with a template for the sprites, so no way of adding new characters to make up for the hard limitations.

[​IMG]
    XP's returns are a LOT better, as it also uses simple palettes on the lighter side; while there's no SV_Actors (though you can find a few freebies bumping around), it gels really well with the Darkfantasy tallsprites we got for free (and were expanded upon by Tonbi with a template and full game cast over here).
    Just
    1. Bump the legs down by 5px
    2. copy the leg shape
    3. add some black outlines, and
    4. extract that XP face, and they slot together wonderfully. Since giving the MV tallsprite an XP face is the only edit on the MV end, as long as you can put in the work for your own characters, you can get a rich cast of 48 new characters with only the smallest of edits. That alone is worth the $20, IMHO.

I'm super happy with my purchase, since I like editing, recreating, and customizing sprites, but XP is really hauling double duty in making this worth the purchase. May have teared up a little at seeing XP's gorgeous battlebacks again after all these years; they are truly a cut above.

Since I'm already making this reply an impromptu review and my heart is full of love, I've owned the DS and DS+ DLC a little while longer (and a LOT longer on VXAce), and I cannot comprehend living without them. Like VXACE/XP, they're redrawn for the new resolution, and the simple, chunky art style feels soooooooooooo good, especially with such big canvases to work with. They manage to retain the charm of a SNES-era game with lovingly pixelled yet deceptively simple tilesets, while also looking fabulous, smooth, and Just Crunchy Enough in high-definition.

DS is all JRPG, DS+ all modern/sci-fi/historical Japan/sci-fi Japan, but the sprites all have the same art style. If you want to sacrifice dialogue portraits (the 2 packs have different portrait art styles), there's great potential for mixing the two.

DS/DS+ battlers are dark and severe paintings, DS+ comes with x2 scale simplistic pixel art battlers that better matches the overall art style. There are plenty of benefits to buying DS+ even if you're doing a fantasy game. Also, of course, the music slots in artfully with the usual RTP.

I can't morally justify saying "buy them all :)" but I...bought them all...and I love them equally and consider them integral? I was really expecting to regret impulse buying VXACE/XP Heroes, but nope, it only enhanced my ability to make game casts very quickly AND fed my nostalgia.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  15. Strijdparel

Strijdparel Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Thanks K2Loid that was very usefull!

16. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @K2loid
    That was a helpful review. I already bought the DS/DS+ remakes but I'm now considering buying the XP tiles as well because I love the Dark Fantasy additions and it look like you could make them match well enough!