RPG Maker XP Discussion

Discussion in 'RPG Maker XP' started by Kakis, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Kakis

Kakis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hey, I'm new here. And I don't really know where to post things, so I'll start here.
    I was thinking of getting myself an rpg maker myself- RMXP- but I can't find many discussions about it and most of the other RPG makers are expensive in comparison...

So I want to know if the following features are things that I could add/are possible using RMXP:

Portrait/bust images:
    >I plan to make my own art. Including tilesets, sprites and portraits. But from what I've seen, most RPG games only include an image of a characters head. I would like to see if it's possible to add in images from the torso above. Like with games such as Corpse Party, Danganronpa, etc. So that I could convey a characters mood better than just their face, by using body language.

Adding your own music/art:
    >Like I mentioned before, I want to add my own artwork. But I also want to add in my own music. I assume it's fairly straightforward with images. Like replacing the example sprite/images given with your own. Although I would like some clarification for how this works.
    >As for music, I'm less familiar of. Say if I wanted to create my own music, would I have to use a digital software to create this music and then upload it to the RPG Maker? Or would I need something specific for it to work? Like a specific source I got the music from?

Adding gameplay systems:
    >I've heard from RM: MV that it's possible to add pluggins to add more to your game. I've also noticed that some people have been able to make their own relationship system using RM: VX ACE and I was wondering if a similar system is possible to create on RPG Maker XP.
    >I would like a relationship system/decision system that affects gameplay. One where conversations with characters leading to the final outcome of the game. Is it possible to create something like that?
    >Is it possible to create chapters in RPG Maker XP? Maybe also chapter selections?

Sorry if these questions may sound dumb. I'm fairly new to how RPG Makers work...

2. Corlagon

Corlagon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Almost anything can be done with scripting. Scripts and plug-ins for different Makers are almost always incompatible, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are pre-made XP scripts for most or all of the features you want already. They definitely sound doable.

And as for using your own resources, you would simply create them in the application of your choice, in a standard format such as PNG, MIDI or Ogg Vorbis, and put the files into your game's sub-directories to have them available.

Kakis likes this.
  3. Kakis

Kakis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Oh, thank you Corlagon!
    Do you perhaps know any websites or sources for the scripts I'm looking for? When I try to search for this for RMXP I can only find recommendations for VX or VX Ace. Or should a script from VX/VX Ace work for XP?

Also, for character portraits for XP, do you know if it can use bust images? Like this?
    https://rpgmaker.net/games/3831/images/24646/
    or if it's more like this:
    https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/497196

4. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    To all your questions: Yes.

Regarding busts: There's no build-in faceset/bust option, but there are scripts for it. Any script that allows facesets will in most cases also allow busts/portraits. ccoa's UMS is my go-to script when it comes to anything to do with the message system.

Chaos Project also still has a lot of RMXP scripts.

Scripts that are for VXAce or VX will 99,9% not work in XP, unless it's stated otherwise.

A relationship system can be done with eventing. I suggest you read up on variables for that. (Tutorials for VXAce or MV also work for XP in regards to this.)

Kakis likes this.
  5. Kakis

Kakis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Ah, ok. Thanks!

In that case, I'll try researching further into variables as it's something I'm not really familiar with. Though if you know any examples of a relationship events I could use or work from for RMXP then could you link me it? Thanks again!

6. DerVVulfman

DerVVulfman Resident Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Yep, that system does have a portrait system of sorts, though I am currently working upon a bust system that can be added into even the default message system. Hehe... I personally prefer woratana's Multiple Messages, even though I am hosting ccoa's scripts since her HDD crash of 2009.

Relationship systems have been crafted in many games, even with events. I have seen RPGMaker 2000 games that delivered multiple game outcomes based on the actions of the player in ... um... TENCHI MUYO like scenarios :D One guy, seven girls? Yeah, someone made a game like that with no scripts possible. That is if you're talking that type of relatioships.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unless you want a system out-of-the-box (no scripts) or are savvy enough to write your own, I suggest you steer away from XP.

It's an old, old, old system and nobody writes scripts for it anymore. There are three newer makers, and only the most recent two are getting any kind of love.

XP's scripting system is really archaic - badly designed classes that make it REALLY difficult to get scripts that work together.

There WERE scripts created for it, and you can probably find lists of what WAS available, but I've been reading that people are coming up with a lot of dead links and dropbox is no longer allowing links to pages for free, so you risk "finding" the scripts that you want, only to discover it's a dead link.

Aren't there sales on right now? I bet you could get the newer engines for a pretty good price if you look around and maybe wait a few more days.

mobiusclimber likes this.
  8. Kakis

Kakis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Ah, ok.
    I think I've also seen some old RPG games using relationship systems. I guess for me ideally, I'd imagine it would work something like: choose two dialogue options. One will increase your relationship (correct answer) and one will decrease (wrong answer). I'd like it to work so that if the player reaches a certain amount of the relationship, it could lead to a good or bad ending. So I guess it's sort of like a dating system, if that's what you're asking, hahah.

I don't know about the newer RPG makers...my alternative options would probably be RMMV or VX Ace. But from the last time I've looked, the pricing is pretty expensive for both. Besides, I'd prefer to use my own assets than the ones provided. My only real concern for XP is limitations in coding, scripting etc and of course nobody really seems to talk that much about it. But it seems from what I've heard there's quite a few things that can be achieved from it, surprisingly. And I do sort of like the old charm it has, like other RPG games I've heard of. Plus, XP has a pretty decent price for it. Same with RPG maker 2000, but it is an older platform. So I wasn't so sure to go for it. I've seen a Japanese creator called Charon create some interesting games using it.

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can use your own assets in any of the makers.

You can certainly do a lot with XP - don't get me wrong. You just won't get the scripting support for it that you would get with Ace and MV, and what scripts you CAN find might have compatibility issues when run together, because of the way the code was designed, and you might find it difficult to get help to solve them.

10. Kakis

Kakis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I see. Does RMXP often have these kind of problems with the design of the code then? Since personally, I'm not really a coder myself so this is all new to me. So long as the RPG has most of the functions I'm looking for, then I think I'll be fine with whichever one I choose. I'm looking for an RPG that can let me create my own bust images that allows me to add body language to the characters, relationship systems, maybe CG scenes and typical elements from old RPG games, like investigating objects and such. I do also want to take into consideration of mainly the visuals too, since some old RPG platforms make a lot of RPGs look similar with their menu screens and interface.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The problems with RMXP scripts only happens if you want to add custom scripts and several of them that affect the same functionality. The more you add, the more likely you're going to have problems. Scripts that affect completely different areas (like player movement vs battles) are unlikely to run into issues. But scripts that affect the same area (like adding two new options to the main menu) are going to have issues, because each of those needs to rewrite the menu functions.

You would have to get a third script written to "patch" the two together - yet another rewrite of the menu functions, adding the new logic from both scripts. This is where you might have problems getting assistance - a lot of people don't like editing other's scripts or making patches for scripts, and XP's scripts are very big and unwieldy. They're not pleasant to work with.

12. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I am severely going to disagree with that statement. I for one am still scripting with RPGMaker XP and I am receiving requests for the system. Just because a system is newer does not mean it is better. Everyone wishes to constantly upgrade their iPhones from one to the next if only for the latest and newest feature. But does that invalidate their older phone?

What WAS available may STILL BE available. There are hundreds of saved XP scripts at Save-Point, including the various scripts by Rataime, Near Fantastica, Trickster, and plenty more. And that's just the western scripters. Others from Japan include Fukuyama, Cogwheel, Claihm and more.... many in which I translated into English while also including their terms of usage. And there are sections that cover other forums that were closed or were in danger of closing, saving their script resources.

Clearly, the wish is to eliminate older systems to promote the newer ones. But they continue to drop features or make things less attractive so they can be returned later as a bonus. That is certain with the poor mapping system with any system after XP. VX removed so much from the mapping and reduced resolution in order to speed up the system, and VXAce's mapping may have returned some aspects such as terrain tags. However, the ridiculous tileset options and automated layering style is pathetic. And then you have MV that was designed to use a completely different tile size option so you had to abandon anything prior.

Oh. And rumor is, all development for MV is 'frozen'. Better get ready for the next one anyway. All MV content will be obsolete soon. But then again, MV discussion should be in MV discussion and not XP discussion.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did not say the newer ones are better. I am pointing out how few people do scripting for XP and how that's going to become a problem if the OP wants to use a number of scripts (or get a new one written).

YOU may be still scripting with XP. But dozens more are scripting with MV. Reasons don't matter. Facts are facts.

Are you saying it will be as easy for them to get a new script written for XP, or to get assistance with script incompatibilities, as it would be for someone who uses Ace or MV? I don't think it will be.

14. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    As long as those wish to promote new as better, those who promote will clearly state so.

I am one of those still making XP scripts and have been giving such assistance. So .... yeah, I do think it will be.

15. Kakis

Kakis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thank you both for your advice. I thought about it for a while and decided to settle on RMVX Ace, as it was on sale on steam. And also because when I searched online, I mostly got results for Vx ace.

16. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Fine enough. You'll certainly have more resources at your disposal. And it's far superior to its 2007 predecessor.

17. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    As someone who has had his longest running project STILL being made in XP, I can say it has a lot of benefits over the newer Makers. You;'re in a great place to start!