SthVidya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hi! Sorry for asking the same question in two categories, I'm not sure which one is the appropriate one for my issue. Feel free to delete whichever one is in the wrong category.
I actually just started this account, because I couldn't find a solution anywhere else, or even anyone with the same problem as me.
I've noticed a few weeks ago that most RPG Maker XP games I have now crash on startup: black screen for a few seconds while the game loads, as usual, and at the point where the game would normally start - the window just closes itself!
And it's so strange that some games are affected and others are not. I've never seen anything like it, and have no idea what's causing it. Did Windows Update mess something up again?
I've tried compatibility mode, changing the DPI scaling setting to "application", putting the "RGSS104E.dll" file in the game's folder - nothing works.
BTW, the affected games are all in English, so Japanese scripts are not the issue, either.
Please help!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This could be an audio or video driver problem, and yes, it could be caused by a windows update.

Determine the manufacturer of your audio and video cards and go to their site (not to Microsoft) and download the latest drivers.

Are these games you have made yourself, or that you have downloaded (are you playing the .exes or launching them from the editor)?

SthVidya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I do have the latest drivers, I update them regularly. And no, I didn't make the games, they're various freeware games downloaded from RPG Maker forums. They all worked fine until about a month ago.
If the issue was with drivers, I'd think none of them would work, but some do.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sounds like your antivirus or another protection program is blocking them.

that can either happen due to a true virus infection, or due to a false positive. And since false positives are caused by heuristic searches, and the heuristic database is changed with every antivirus update to keep track of newer viruses, that can happen out of nothing.
even the inconsistency is normal then because the different games loaded from the internet might have different versions of the launcher program.

you need to find out which of your protection programs is now blocking the games, then decide on whether it is a true infection or a false positive. And in case of false positive to tell the AV to allow them to run (whitelisting).

SthVidya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I tried turning off the antivirus already, but I'll see if whitelisting the exe files specifically will work, or maybe I need to whitelist them in the DEP settings. Maybe I even need to turn off Windows Defender? (Sigh, I really need to switch to Linux and learn how to use VMs one of these days.)
It's weird that with just one game the issue was solved by pasting the "RGSS104E.dll" file into the game's folder (only the "RGSS102E.dll" file is present in most of the games), but it didn't work with the other games that have the issue.

SthVidya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yep, what do you know, disabling Data Execution Prevention for the games' .exe files was the trick all along. ****ing Windows 10.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

headshot_headshot.jpg
The theory has been proved. Based on an invisible image's data(the big red dot in the previous image), RM can identify different parts of an enemy and do something respectively. :kaojoy:
Ok.. coding what should be a simple "everyone is petrified and therefore dead, now go to game over screen" shouldn't involve needing to become Dr. J and dunking from the free throw line(my way of saying "jumping through hoops").
Hmmmm... how many xrays til I get super powers?
..of the major old school series that began in the 80s- early 90s, I still haven't beaten 'a' Zelda game. Mario 64 was the first Mario I've beaten. I don't know if I should give that honor to Link to the Past or A Link Between Worlds(I currently own both). Well technically I've haven't beaten a Sonic either (Game Genie doesn't count =P).
headshot_headinfo.jpg
Time to add the "headshot" concept into the game so that people may actually aim at the heads when shooting zombies and get massive damage and armor-pen bonus as rewards. :kaojoy:
(The red area is just for visually debug purposes right now. But, it's possible that I will add something that displays the weak spots of enemies in the future.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanriosimp