RPG Maker XP Graphics for RPG Maker MV (Tilesets and Characters)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by LadyBaskerville, Jan 11, 2017.

1. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cover.png
    (Download links at the bottom of the post)​

Now with character sheets!

I resized and reformatted the tilesets from RPG Maker XP for use in MV a while ago and thought I might as well share them here. As of now, I only upscaled the graphics using the "Fast" method of the RTP Scaler by RyanBram (which can be found here) and rearranged the tiles so that they can be used in RMMV. (Please note that you must own RPG Maker XP in order to use these tiles.)

As you can probably tell from the picture above, the result is by no means perfect - especially the autotiles have some issues - and I won't have time to fix them in the near future. These tiles are meant more as a base for you to work with and less as plug-and-play graphics, although they are ready for use in the engine.

If you don't like the resized tiles and would rather use the 32x32 pixel version of these tiles in MV (with a plugin to change the tilesize), you can find them in the VX Ace thread here.

The zip archive "XP Tilesets for MV" below contains:
    - one set of A1 autotiles
    - two sets of A2 autotiles (inside and outside)
    - one (incomplete) set of A4 autotiles
    - one set of A5 ground tiles
    - the 50 XP tilesheets reformatted for MV; they can be used in any of the B-E slots. Some of the original tilesheets are split into two MV tilesheets; those are named e.g. XP_to_MV_017-MineTown01a_PixelScaled.png and XP_to_MV_017-MineTown01b_PixelScaled.png, respectively.

There are duplicate tiles between the sheets; if you want to use your tilesets more efficiently, you will need to rearrange some tiles yourself (or wait until I find the time to do it ;) ).

The zip archive "XP Characters for MV" below contains all XP character graphics ready for use in MV (193 sheets, most of them single characters).

You can also download all tilesets and characters at once in the archive "XP Graphics for MV".

Terms of use

Free for commercial and non-commercial use in any RPG Maker engine, as long as you legally own RPG Maker XP. Optimized for MV.

Repost and edit as much as you want, but please link back to this thread if possible.

Credit:
    - Enterbrain for the original tiles
    - RyanBram for the scaling tool
    You don't need to credit me if you use these graphics, but I won't stop you if you do ;)

Feel free to post here about any issues you have with these tiles. Although I probably won't fix them in the near future, I will write them down in a to-do-list for when I have more time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. 10kk

10kk Parallel Process irl Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Going through it all, it looks pretty great considering the upscaling. VX's scaling didn't look quite as nice as this. Thanks for the pack.
    I look forward to any games that use this, such a classic tileset.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    LadyBaskerville likes this.
  3. Mato

Mato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    thank you very much i have been wanting to use XP tiles in MV forever i'll put them to good use and i am going to credit you XD

SkySurfer and LadyBaskerville like this.
  4. HappyDannyLovely

HappyDannyLovely Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow! XP has my favorite tilesets! I've been wanting to try to use them in MV. I hope I can do them justice! I also hope the sprites in MV look okay with them. If not, I'm pretty sure that I can open up my copy of XP, take some of the sprites there, and fudge them into MV. I saw a certain plugin make do it on YouTube. Ooh ... I wonder if I can make some Yanfly Doodads with the XP stuff?

SkySurfer likes this.
  5. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh yes, Doodads from the XP tiles would be great! For most of the character sprites from XP, you should be able to just crop away the first column of frames (exactly 1/4 of the image width) and put a $ at the start of the filename to make them ready for use in MV. I'm planning to do that for all XP sprites at one point, and also resize them so that they fit with the upscaled tiles.

HappyDannyLovely and SkySurfer like this.
  6. HappyDannyLovely

First Language:
    English
    OOHH! You're going to alter the sprites? AWESOME!

XP styled graphics with MV plugins and such ... hmmm ... perfect!

I'm going to experiment a bit with this too. Question, what resolution do you think the sprites should be at? 

I'm kind of bad at stuff like that.

SkySurfer likes this.
  7. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would scale them up by the same factor as the tiles: 150% (the tool I used does that automatically). The exact pixel size will be different from spritesheet to spritesheet, but that's no problem for the engine, as long as the frames are positioned correctly (in a grid of 3 across and 4 down for spritesheets with a $).

HappyDannyLovely likes this.
  8. wintyrbarnes

wintyrbarnes Jack of a Few Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much for doing this! I kept wanting to, but I could never get the motivation to compile autotiles so the idea fell by the wayside. :p These are going to come in super handy for me, so thank you very much!

SkySurfer and LadyBaskerville like this.
  9. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just added the character sprites! I hope I got all the $s and !s correct.

HappyDannyLovely likes this.
  10. HappyDannyLovely

First Language:
    English
    You're awesome! I wish I had enough time to do all the cool stuff you do!

11. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Photoshop actions and batch editing. It saves sooo much time ;)

kaukusaki likes this.
  12. kattywompus

kattywompus trash bunny Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you thank you thank you! I got XP around Christmas with the explicit plan to convert the tiles for use in XP, and then got too lazy to actually do it. You're a hero!

13. cyberwaffle

cyberwaffle cyberwaffle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am in the process of converting a massive amount of XP tiles to MV could you describe your process? I have been using Shaz's converter and then running it through Waifu converter 2x. Is that what you did? Could you help me convert these water tiles to MV because I have been unsuccesful.

14. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There were two steps in my process: Reformatting and resizing. I always reformatted the graphics first - that way, I got a set of 32x32 tiles that could be used in VX Ace (or in MV with Shaz's Change Tile Size plugin). Also, if I'm not happy with the upscaling, I can just go back to the smaller tiles and try a different algorithm without having to reformat everything again.

I haven't used Shaz's converter, so I'm not sure what it does - maybe it automates some of the following steps.

Reformatting:
    XP tile and character animations have 4 frames instead of Ace/MV's 3, so first of all I would remove either the left or the right block of tiles (make sure to crop away exactly one quarter of the image's width).
    Changing the autotile itself to the new format is a bit tricky; what I did was to only take the four corner pieces of the 3x3 tile block at the bottom of the autotile and put them next to each other in a 2x2 "circle", deleting the five tiles between them. Then I moved over the square with the outer corners in the upper right so that the entire autotile fits inside a 2x3 tile grid. That method is by no means perfect, but easy to automate in a photoshop action, and imo it works well enough as a starting point. If you see any issues with the tiles later, you can manually fix them up without having to redo the autotile completely.
    Finally, I copied the autotile over onto a corresponding VX Ace tilesheet (should be A1 for animated water tiles). If you don't have VX Ace, just take a tileset from MV, scale it down to 2/3, and use that as a guide instead.

For resizing, I uses RyanBrams Pixel Scaler tool, which works quite well for pixel art on the "Fast" method and upscales to 150% automatically (it was originally linked in the first post, but due to the forum update the link now doesn't go to the correct post directly - it's towards the bottom of the second page). Unfortunately, it only upscales one file at the time, which makes upscaling a large number of graphics rather tedious. If Waifu works better for you, go with that. (Last time I tried it, it couldn't resize to 150% directly, so you might have to downscale the image afterwards.)

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

15. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are really beautiful. I use MV, but I was curious to see why so many people loved and missed the RPG Maker XP Graphics. What I love the most of all these graphics you have shared so kindly, is that they all have a certain ARTISTIC CONSISTENCY: everything matches with everything, and everything goes well with everything (what we don't have yet in MV, alas). Thanks again for sharing!

16. Darmok0

Darmok0 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great Job. Excellent work.

17. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello @LadyBaskerville . I wanted to ask, does anybody knows which Tileset is this one on the video?
    I've been trying to find it to download it but nobody has been able yet to give any information.
    I believe I heard Drifty say that, a while ago, when they first put this out, they gave you the ability to convert previous versions of RPGMaker tilesets, and MV came with more tilesets, assets, skills and items, but in some point they took that out for no reason whatsoever.
    I'd really appreciate if someone could please point out where to find these tilesets to download them for free.
    Thanks

18. Mieze

Mieze Maker Freak Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    WOW YOU AWESOME!!!! I LOVE IT
    THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

19. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andronius It's a mixture of different tilesets, combined with parallax mapping. I don't recognize all of it, but part is simply RTP (edits?), the houses in the first town are from the pack "Fantastic Buildings: Medieval" which you can buy in the store here or on steam. I have seen the trees somewhere before, but I don't remember who made them. If you are looking for a specific tile, you might find better answers in Resource Requests, or search through the MV resources forum yourself.

I haven't heard about additional "official" tilesets or the ability to convert older tilesets for MV, unless you mean the sci-fi assets in the "Base Resources" folder (at least that's what I think it's called) that come with the program - they are not automatically included in a new project to reduce the filesize. The larger database is somewhere in the MV program folder, but I think Drifty explains that in the video you linked to. I can't use my PC at the moment, so I can't check right now.

Andronius likes this.