hsumi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I made the mistake of buying the official remaster of the XP soundtrack and discovered, like so many more unfortunate souls, that it was absolute burning garbage. So, I made it a project of my own to remaster the entire thing myself.
Permissions and credits:
If you want to use any of these in a project, you are free to do so on the condition you own a legal copy of RPG Maker XP or the official remaster. I would appreciate a credit for the arrangement, but this isn't necessary, as I am not the original composer, just the remaster...er.
Samples:

The full download can be found on my dropbox:
Download ahoy!
All tracks are in .ogg format and already rigged to loop properly when played in RPG Maker MV/MZ.
I'm also 100% open to constructive criticism on any of these.

Robert Reina

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
It´s perfect! Thank you so much, I loved it.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wherever you are...thank you!

AeroPergold

RPG Maker Nutcase
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I honestly didn't think the official remaster was that bad, but this, this is an improvement!

Eclipzodiac

Melodician
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good job!.
64 tracks :ewat:... that's a lot of commitment. Great feat.

hsumi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good job!.
64 tracks :ewat:... that's a lot of commitment. Great feat.
Thank you!
I'll be honest, when I did it I had a LOT of free time, and it only took an hour or two for each track (a little longer for ones that I continued to tweak after the first draft), because I used the original midi files from RPGMXP. All I did was run them through Synthfont and adjusted soundfonts/levels for each instrument channel, then pulled the exact metadata from the official Degica remaster to get them to loop correctly.
Which is why I said in the OP that you don't have to credit me if you use these remastered tracks, because all I did was tweak tracks that already existed, and reused existing metadata to loop them. All the data already existed, I just compiled it.

Ahuramazda

The Last Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I did the same thing back in 2014 when I got the garbage "remastered" OST -.-
I don't know who they got to do it, but they made all the track sound so hollow and overdid a lot of the echo/hollowing effects.

I did like you and took the original midi files, but I converted them to Stereo and added 4 more sound channels to them so they sound almost exactly like the original(just better/crisper). I added no other effects other than to make sure they were sound balanced across the board as much as possible (unlike how some of them were louder than others, so playing the BMG at 100% might have felt too loud.)

I also went in and edited the Meta Data manually and picked my own looping point within 1/1000 of a second, as some of the loops in the original had just a very tiny hiccup... might not have been that bad for some, but I have severe OCD and it was driving me nuts listening to them on loop.

Oddly enough though your "015 Theme 04" is so close to the version I made I really about cannot tell the difference until the 40 second+ mark where you added in harder/louder drum effects.

Just downloaded and going to listen to all of them to see if I would change anything or if they are satisfying as they are. :D

Edit:
I'll leave my comments here for each track, so this might be long enough for a spoiler.
01 Battle 1: Very close to the original, very pleasing. Volume is balanced nicely.
02 Battle 2: Sounds a bit hollow/echo heavy to me, Drum levels are pretty high compared to other sound levels. Not bad, but would modify a wee bit myself.
03 Battle 3: Once again, hearing the hollow/echo sound effects, making it miss some of the oomph the original had. Still, not bad.
04 Battle 4: Still slightly hollow on this one, but you can still get the jist of the urgency in the music track. Feels like a bouncy boss fight or a more dire normal battle.
05 Boss 1: Very small bit hollow, but still very close to the original... this one is a good listen.
06 Boss 2: Very, very good rendition of this one. Almost a perfect match to the original. (Also, I hated doing this track back in the day...)
07 Boss 3: Hollow and really heavy on the bass, doesn't sound bad, but feels kinda far from the original to me.
08 Boss 4: This was actually a good use of the hollowing/echoing effect to help lower the volume levels of the track, I think this one is more gentle on the ears than the original. Very nice.
09 Last Boss 1: As one of my favorite tracks from the original I am going to judge hard on this one. This is a really good version of it, and even though it has some extra effects for volume and whatnot throughout I really like it.
10 Last Boss 2: Sounds almost like the original, but with a bit of hollow in the middle-ish parts I can hear. Not too bad.
11 Last Boss 3: Once again, another favorite track here and plays a major part at a boss fight in my game, so judging a bit harder. Just a wee bit of Hollow to it negating some of the urgency I feel the piano and trumpets give from the original, but I would use it in my game if I hadn't already made my own version :D
12 Theme 1: A bit hollow, but still loyal to the original. Glad you can still hear the bells past the 0:38 second mark. Not bad.
13 Theme 2: I really cannot tell the difference between yours, mine, and the original just about on this one. Very well made!
14 Theme 3: Feels like the drums past the 0:25 mark a a tad over volumed compared to the rest of the track, otherwise feels good.
15 Theme 4: Title screen theme for my game, so judging harder once again. Very well retained the sound and proper volume throughout, very well made.
16 Theme 5: Oh God... I hated this track.... I HATED IT. (not your fault, its this track...) I feel like your version actually has a bit more better sound quality than the original, but I really cannot force myself to listen to this track more than 1-2 times each.
17 Theme 6: The higher notes past 0:10 feel a bit too shrill, they were making my ears ring a small amount, but otherwise feels really close to the original.
18 Field 1: Another very well made and close to the original track. Very nice!
19 Field 2: Feels a little hollow from the start, but still a good bouncy theme to listen to.
20 Field 3: I can hear the hollow in this one, but unlike a lot of track it actually works here pretty good due to the general mellow sounds of the track. Good job.
21 Field 4: This ones hollow effect made it lose a lot of the oomph I feel it had in the original version. Can't say I'm a fan, sadly.
22 Field 5: Same as above, feels like the hollowing effect used removed a lot of the tracks charm.
23 Town 1: This one is a very good version of the original.
24 Town 2: This one is also a very good version of the original. Very hard to tell the difference.
25 Town 3: There is a bit of a difference from the original here, but not in a bad way. Either version is really soothing to the ears.
26 Town 4: The "hoof clicking" in your version is actually more solid than the original... reminds me of riding Yoshi on Super Mario World, not a bad effect though. Good version.
27 Town 5: The volumes in this track feel off somehow, but it still feels otherwise loyal to the original track.
28 Town 6: This is a really good sounding track. A very small amount of the hollow sound to it, esp in the middle 0:30 section where the string sounding instrument was located. Still not bad.
29 Town 7: Very good and close to the original, no complaints.
30 Town 8: Tuned down the bagpipes WAY too much and boosted the other audio a bit too far. Doesn't feel good compared to the original.
31 Castle 1: This is a good version of the track, would easily be interchangeable with the original.
32 Church 1: Your version is MUCH easier on the ears than the original. I would actually use yours over mine due to this fact. ;)
33 Ship 1: Feels a tad hollow and like the volume balance was a bit on the low end... except for that drum drum drum all throughout that wasn't in the original as dominant.
34 Heaven 1: A very important track for my game, so heavy judgement incoming. I love the fact that it actually sounds like there are mild vocals in this. There are some other smaller volume imbalances in it, esp with some of the higher pitched notes, but the "vocals" effect I am hear more than makes up for this. Very well made!
35 Dungeon 1: The volume did a bit of an odd fluctuation within the first 10 seconds where it came up and then went back down, felt... odd to me. Otherwise the track is easily on par for the original version. Good work here.
36 Dungeon 2: The "bone beats" as I call them at the start are so plain and missing the echo effect from the original... I had to make sure my speaker didn't come unplugged because of how Midi it still felt. Once the Drums kicked in it wasn't as bad, but I think the original had more personality for this track.
37 Dungeon 3: This one is actually really well made as well. Not quite as crisp as the original, but close enough its still pleasing to listen to.
38 Dungeon 4: Drums mid-track are more upbeat than the original, but not bad enough to warrant any complaints. Nice listen here.
39 Dungeon 5: This one was torture on the ears when I edited it, so Ill judge based on 1 listen. Much more gentle on the ears compared to the original, very good volume balancing. Real good job handling this one.
40 Dungeon 6: Very close to the original. Good work on this one.
41 Dungeon 7: Slightly adjusted volumes compared to the original, but feels very loyal to it. Not bad at all.
42 Dungeon 8: Another track that is major to my game, so judging hardly again. This is a really, really good version of this track... boosting the drums really helped a lot. Very nice!
43 Positive 1: One of 3 main overworld themes in my game, so judging hard again. Drums were boosted pretty well, but I think keeping them in line with the trumpets in the track would have held it closer to the original. This isn't bad, but Ill pass for the original.
44 Positive 2: You version has more total volume than the original, but still holds very true to it. No real issues here.
45 Positive 3: I almost cannot tell the difference on this one. Very well made and extremely close to the original.
46 Positive 4: Part of the Finale of my game, so I am judging pretty tough again. Sadly I think this might actually be one of the ONLY track I like from the "official" XP remaster. The original version, this version, and my version are all incredibly close to being the same. A joy to listen to!
47 Positive 5: Yet another massively annoying track to listen to in general. I'll try judging based from 1 listen, but my poor ears! Your version is hollowed out a lot compared to the original, but at the same time I do not seeing this as a bad thing in this case... each version has its charm. A nice variant on this track.
48 Positive 6: This one is a bit hollowed out compared to the original, but it is close enough to still be appealing to listen to.
49 Positive 7: Music from my games first "dungeon", so judging on it a bit harder. I like your harder drum hits... gives more of a dire feeling to the track. I would say either version would be suitable for the dungeon I made. Good listen!
50 Positive 8: Sounds a bit hollow compared to the original, but not enough to complain about it. Sounds good.
51 Positive 9: This was perhaps the HARDEST song for me to find the looping point to. I had to listen to this song 100s of times, so hearing it again is bringing back some minor PTSD of finding that loop.
Very well made rendition of this track. Hard to tell the major differences apart from adjusted volumes.
52 Negative 1: Instant hollow feeling as soon as the track started. The amount of loss from this effect really hurts this track to me.
53 Negative 2: Once again, hollowing effect strikes and really damages the original oomph the track had. :/
54 Negative 3: Hollowed out and volume is very low on this one for some reason, doesn't feel good.
55 Negative 4: I actually like the extra effects in this one to some of the more subtle instruments, makes the track less loud as the original, but adds more mystery flavor to it. Good Job.
56 Negative 5: This track really needed some negative volume balance compared to the original, but I feel like it might have a bit too much of the hollowing effect and some of the other sound effects are... kinda abrupt and feel a bit too odd sounding. Not bad, but not perfect? This one is kinda hard to properly judge due to its nature.
57 negative 6: A small amount of hollowing, but still feels very good compared to the original. Good work on this one.
58 Slow 1: Lowered the volume just enough that the ears wont cry from the higher pitched notes from the original. Otherwise a very well made version.
59 Slow 2: Hollowed out a bit, but it works. This would be interchangeable with the original in my opinion.
60 Slow 3: So close to the original you almost cannot tell the difference. Perfectly made!
61 Slow 4: Another one that is very, very good and close to the original. Very nice!
62 Slow 5: OK, this is like 4 or 5 in a row now that have been nearly spot on... I really am listening to them and judging... maybe Slow track are just perfect already and barely need any changes. Very nice version.
63 Slow 6: Music box is really badly distorted from the original... It still kinda has the music box to it, but when I started the track I had to instantly open the original to make sure I was listening to the correct theme. The original could use some volume tweaking, but sounded better imo.
64 Slow 7: Mild hollowing, but not enough to make this track bad to listen to. Well done!

Sorry if I nitpicked you so hard, but I wanted to give honest and clear opinions :D In case you couldn't tell one of my major dislikes of any "remaster" is when they did like they did with the Official XP Remaster and excessively Hollowing out how the music sounds, and stacking on the not-needed Echoing effects. Whoever they hired to do them really did not make them feel true to the original, and I hope they didn't pay prime $$$ for the work...

Edit 2: tagging @hsumi so they know this comment was edited and will get notified to see the judgements. :D

Last edited:

hsumi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main critique I had for my first draft was that the percussion was a bit light, resulting in the tracks feeling a bit "thin", so I did tend to lean heavier into the percussive/bass channels when I went back in to tweak them.

NessaKrystal

Nessa
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So i can use this in a MZ game as long as i have xp?

davidnguyen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to use your version (but sadly can't) over the official remaster for a non-rpg maker engine.
The official one can be used in a non-rpg maker engine. If you used the original midi files
and remastered them, I guess that count as official RTP so it cannot be used in a non-rpg
maker engine so beware!

hsumi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did use the metadata from the official remaster so provided you own a legit copy of the official remaster, I don't see why you couldn't use my version. This is the first I'm hearing that you can't use the RTP assets in a non-RPG maker engine provided you own a legal copy of the engine or the remaster.

davidnguyen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
See VX Ace RTP (it should be the same for XP):
So for example if you use Unity you can't use them.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! I’d like to ask where is a good place to start logging about my game dev progress as production of my game goes forth
In one of our campus classrooms was a bag full of stuff people forgot there... my bag. That I forgot there xD
You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wither37