Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hey all!

There is an issue in RPG Maker XP and VX where trying to create an encrypted archive for projects exceeding 128 MB results in a non-working installer.

To address this issue I have created a small Java application which allows you to encrypt your RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX games.

I.e. create the Game.rgssad or Game.rgss2a. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire...9xc9maz528fthak

It is also way faster because you don't have to wait for the installer to be created.

To use it place it in the same directory as your game.

Next run the .jar file, which can be done by double-clicking on it, pressing enter, etc. (Requires Java)

You now get the option to choose which maker the game is made with. (Hmm... why didn't I just check that automatically >_> )

In this case it is made with RPG Maker XP so I click on that button and close the Encryption Completed! dialog afters.

You should now see a new file called Game.rgssad

The Game.rgssad file contains all the Data and Graphics files, but not anything else.

So I suggest we copy the relevant files into a new directory which would equal the package the normal installer creates.

This is everything except the Data and Graphics folder, and the Game.rxproj file, which is only relevant to the actual game editor.

There, all ready to be played and packaged in what ever your prefer.

P.s. you can rename the Game.* files as long as they all have the same name. I.e. this is valid:

Download

http://www.mediafire...9xc9maz528fthak

*hugs*

- Zeriab

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Quite awesome. :)

Bit surprised that they didn't fix that bug officially. Considering they advertise for being commercial friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't think it would be considered a bug...

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
As far as I remember for XP it would tell you the encryption went just fine. The installer would just give you an error when you tried to install the game.

It most definitely is a bug, but a workaround is to remove the Audio folder, create encrypted archive, extract and put the audio folder back.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems ^^

*hugs*

Zeus81

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
A workaround is to right click the exe file and do "extract here" with WinRar, it simply is a splitted archive.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
A workaround is to right click the exe file and do "extract here" with WinRar, it simply is a splitted archive.
I think the issue is RM not being able to create the exe.

Zeus81

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
As long as I remember it creates the exe + additionnal .001, .002, etc... files, each 128Mo max.

Since it's bugged it don't work if we double click it but with winrar/7zip/izarc/whatever no prob.

Of course it's faster to use Zeriab's tool but, well, just sayin'

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I have heard that for some it simply split into archives while for others it didn't.

In the latter case there really isn't anything to do as the additional archives is not there.

The speed is of course also a good point. You can use this on smaller games to speed up the packaging process if you don't want to use the default installer.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
btw what's the difference between XP and VX encryption?

They both use the same algorithm. Do they just use different levels of compression?

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The only difference is the ending. .rgssad vs .rgss2a

The actual compression is identical.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
oh lol right this is an encrypter so you would need to know which extension to use.

I was thinking of decrypters that don't need to care.

starlord

Lead (Emma)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Taglish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
could you also make one for rmvx ace?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
^ does the issue exist in Ace? From what I remember, I was able to encrypt my Ace project that was about 200+MB (coz I encrypted with the RTP)

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
^-- which means it is not needed.

Thank you for the interest.

*hugs*

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^ Unless if someone make games which is over 3GB then it will be a problem. But it still impossible for this to happened.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Can VXA be supported?

I have a dll for loading rgss3a files which will be used for loading encrypted audio data and patch data, but it would be kind of strange to distribute rgss2a or rgssad archives along with rgss3a...

AllenYu1984

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Last edited:

AllenYu1984

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Please can you do for VX Ace and MV encryption if they have possibility, THX :)

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Ahh, missed your questions.

VXA uses a different encryption scheme. While it could provide some benefits in terms of speed I don't believe the value is enough to be worth the effort. VXA does not have the 128MB error, it is instead limited by its the 32-bit nature, which an encrypter can't really fix.

MV and MZ are completely different and they come with an encryption option that works fine.
Just tested encrypting an MZ project with 4k+ maps and a total size of 4.4 GB. It took like 1-2 minutes to deploy the project.

TL;DR: I won't add VX Ace, MV nor MZ encryption
*hugs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made my own pizza. First critique, more chicken next time.
My pumpkin! Anyone like Fallout?

It's not terrible, but could be better. This thing took me over an hour to carve. :kaophew:

Dad's watching a WWII documentary while I work on some cool assets for my games. I just love RPG Maker!
Also Happy Halloween! Dad's friend won't be coming unfortunately, but Dad will still be taking me to Boxi Park to have some fun tonight! I'll be posting a video on my YouTube channel of the show, and I'll be sure to post a link here.
"Nightmares exist outside of logic and there's little fun to be had in explanations. They're antithetical to the poetry of fear. In a horror story the victim keeps asking why, but there can be no explanation and there shouldn't be one..." - Stephen King
I feel people seek explanation and demand it sometimes in games, but in the horror genre, well, maybe you shouldn't have one. Silent Hill 1 comes to mind...
Managed to implement QSprite.

Always double check your plugin order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elvun