RPG Maker YouTubers

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by eat beans, May 26, 2018.

1. eat beans

eat beans A being of pure evil Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What are your favorite YouTubers that cover RPG Maker? Tutorials, reviews, etc.
    I personally recommend Nitro Rad, he has shown me many great RPG Maker games that I wouldn’t have been able to find otherwise

2. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love Driftwood Gaming, so much in fact, that I want to marry him! : D

3. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Driftwood with Tea (shipped) together :)

And Starmage's Let's Play videos. ^_^b

Sauteed_Onion and Guiguimu like this.
  4. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like a lot of Driftwood's videos, but sometimes he shows impatience and rushes through dialogues, or clearly loses interest but continues to push on, which really does no good to himself nor the game he's featuring. I dislike his irrational hate for anything default, having seen him praise games for using hard-to-read custom fonts over the default font (and no, having played tens of RPG Maker games with default font is not an excuse to hate on it). Looking past that, he does do a pretty good job at giving first impressions for a lot of RPG Maker games, and I like that he always finds things to like and dislike about the games he plays, and isn't afraid of fairly critiquing it.

Still, Studio Blue is probably my favourite. It does help they're 2 people doing the videos, so they can kind of play in on each other during commentary. I like their overall positive attitude, even when playing bad to mediocre projects that have barely received any playtesting before they were sent in. On the other hand, I'd wish they could just be a tad harsher sometimes, because sometimes, a developer really just needs to be told when something is bad and needs improving, so that they'll try harder next time, and that's something Studio Blue seems to be shy away from at times - or on certain points.

5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Driftwood Gaming is one of my favs. I like how @just1witness (Tea) is "collaborating" with him. It's more dynamic. Studio Blue is great, they can kind of go off on tangents but provide very useful advise and objective critiques. @Dutch Power Creations is good. His accent is thick but he's real and has good insight. ManlyBadAssHero plays some really out there RPGM games sometimes.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. Guiguimu

Guiguimu The best revenge is massive success Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My favs are Driftwood and Tea when together. (@just1witness you're going to marry??? *.*)
    Studio Blue and Echo607 are my next picks.
    I've watched a couple more but these were the ones I enjoyed the most.

7. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru [Null_Value] Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ...Oh yeah? Well, why don't you JUST MARRY HIM if you love him so much?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  8. DarkHyudrA

DarkHyudrA Actually I'm Enzonaki Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For a bunch of tutorials you may check SRDude's videos. They cover from the most basic stuff to rather advanced and have tutorials of his own plugins, they are all deep in details and have some jokes which reduces the boredom of watching it.

Guiguimu and starlight dream like this.
  9. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Is this a confession : O

10. Palin

Palin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've enjoyed all the folks mentioned above. I think I relate best with Steel's comments, as a fellow writer. In the past I've also enjoyed Benderwaffles (tutorials) and Indrah's RPG maker content - nobody can beat that seething sound in her voice as she tore into an "innocent" rpg maker dev!:)

11. Dankovsky

Dankovsky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    RU
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I only know of two RPGM letsplay Youtubers and I think they're the most notable ones.

Driftwood Gaming is definitely the most well known.He's shown me a lot of promising demos I loved to play myself.
    However I feel like he suffered a major burnout sometime in 2017 - some of his videos from that time were painful to watch, with lots of bashing and unwanted negativity towards the creators who sent him their (not good enough) games. That's what you get for playing too much RPG Maker demos, kids!
    I can also attest he tends to "speedrun" games not caring about dialogue or story or anything except getting to the end. That's why I think he's a great playtester but maybe not the greatest reviewer and analyst. But at least he gives honest reactions as a player and doesn't try to act or be someone he's not.
    I think he got better now that he's doing it with Tea after they've moved in together, and I think he also started to do paid videos where he's being nice (maybe sometimes too nice). Their videos are sometimes awkward to watch though, LOL! I mean, get a room you guys!

The second one is Echo607 who I'm surprised was mentioned only once before me.
    She is more of a developer and tutorial gal than a let's player but she has quite a few lets plays and I think she even tries to fully complete most games she lets-plays. Her trademark is her personal anime-ish voice acting which most adore and few loathe. As a creator she also has a somewhat vulnerable and emotional personality and some possible dark and troubling secrets but I still enjoy her videos to this day (it does look like she gave up on RPGM lately, although then just a couple days ago she released a full lets play series on a weird game).

I think after reading this thread I should be checking Studio Blue videos as they seem to delve deeper into actual game design and analytics (from first glance).

Oh and since you asked about any youtubers and not just lets players - I can totally recommend SumRandomDude. I mean, his video on his translation plugin is just... something.

And ALL of his videos are like this. What can I say, he lives up to his name. Yeeeeah.
    (not mentioned here: yanfly, victor sant, moghunter and all the other awesome plugin makers who also have their youtube channels)

Jhale M. and Studio Blue like this.
  12. Studio Blue

Studio Blue Studio Blue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah! Please check us out and let us know what you think. We're always looking for feedback.

And super, super THANKS to everyone who complimented us. We strive our hardest to offer help to developers and entertain our viewers. :)

Guiguimu, Jhale M., Kemsyn and 2 others like this.
  13. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I enjoy Nitrorad's work a lot. In terms of good RPG Maker focused channels his is honestly the only one I would consider to be genuinely good, not just in terms of production but also in terms of feedback and mechanical analysis.

I used to follow both @Driftwood Gaming but found the videos started getting way too long. Maybe its the Lets Play format of the videos... I know its a lot less effort than making an edited video but a lot of his critiques of games could be summed up in 5 - 10 minutes but end up taking over an hour. (I also struggle to tell the difference between most of the game titles he covers, they all look the same to me for the most part). He knows his way around the engine and on that front I find his advice good, but he doesn't seem to have an eye for design so a lot of the time his blind praise for custom assets even if they look bad (hard to read fonts, clashing art aesthetics, etc) really rubs me the wrong way. I feel like first impressions should only be the first 309 minutes of a game MAX, if your game cant capture someone in the first 30 minutes its doomed from the start. Some quality control before playing wouldn't hurt either to weed out the completely broken or boring games, just send the creator written advice and ask them to resubmit it when its fixed. He has a format and it works for his fans, its just not for me, at least not anymore and I feel his advice is often a mixed bag in terms of usefulness.

I have found a lot of SRDudes tutorials very helpful, same with Echo607 though I don't specifically follow either of them.

Jhale M. likes this.
  14. Lothloran

Lothloran Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I watch Echo607 because she sounds hot. Legitimately the only reason. Apart from that, I've used a few tutorials from a few people, generally I google the problem I'm having and see if there are any videos on the subject and if there are, I'll watch them.
    Straight up, Echo607 sounds almost as hot as lilypichu, almost.

15. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Driftwood is the most consistent and is great.

I wish SRDudes and Echo607 did more tutorials and tips. Those were fantastic videos.

16. IguanaGuy

IguanaGuy Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Echo's tutorials and her tips and tricks vids are the best to me. Her fun voice keeps me listening even when it gets into heavy scripting stuff. She also uses plugins and event processing in creative ways that are outside the normal so I like learning how to push MV in new ways. For example - someone should check out her "Mini Map" video sometime or what she does with Yanfly's Gab Chat plugin. I also didn't see mentioned that YANFLY has all those youtube videos that show how to use his plugins, so there's a lifesaver when you can't make heads or tails of the written plugin information. Really - a big thanks to anyone who puts something out there to try and help other game makers though!

Jhale M. likes this.
  17. Kemsyn

Kemsyn Not bad...for a human. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Driftwood Gaming for sure. Idk why but I kinda enjoyed watching him rage at bad RPG Maker games and it pushed me to make my game better as I didn't wanna create one of them. I also enjoy watching Studio Blue and NeoSoulGamer as the feedback gives me ideas on how I can improve my own work too.

18. BerryB

BerryB Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let me give my assessment on every RPGM youtuber (at least those who do reviews/let's plays) I've seen so far.

- Nitrorad: Promotes RPG maker games that actually have a decent potential to be good. His reviews are well polished and well thought out. His game review catalogues are what kinda ticked me off a bit since most of it were either horror oriented or story driven. OFF, Lisa and Heartbeat were a couple of exceptions. Understandable though.

- Driftwood: His first impression qualities were interesting during the early years. Recently though, he's doing far less and won't do it freely for your game unless you pay him. A little too conscious about promoting and selling himself out, in my honest opinion. His quality is decent but personally his standards for graphical quality and consistency is not that high (as long as its not default, he'll likely like it to a degree.). And as such, his critical view of it is far less detailed than other people's perspectives. He is now joined by TeaGaming or Just1Witness here on the forums, I believe.

- Echo607: Generally one of the most popular RPG Maker youtuber. Her focus is mostly on tips and tricks which are helpful, somewhat concise and very intriguing to watch. With at least a motivational speech as the last tip of the video. Can't say she has artistic consistency, but she is passionate about RPG maker and her voice seems to be her strongest trademark. Positivity is also one of her assets.

- Studio Blue: Two people team making lets plays. Generally very positive yet aren't the most critical of the bunch. Very enthusiastic and energetic to some degree. They are less enjoyed if you're looking for a proper critique, but they are enjoying it as much as they can with every game they played and it shows. Recently, they have been a lot more critical, but still retains their trademark positivity. Something I can get by.

- NeoSoulGamer - Critical, detailed and clear. His reviews as lets plays gives insightful information on game design in general and he is rarely biased towards a specific game. Pointing out both negatives and positives. Granted, maybe consistency and opinions may differ based on his thoughts. But otherwise, he is relatively solid as a reviewer.

- Starmage: Same as Studio Blue, but he's alone and far more positive than them. His major drawback is his audio quality. But considering his circumstance, it is understandable.

I have seen others. But those are the only ones I have proper opinions with or are far too biased on a negative scale for me to make a proper judgment on them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  19. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nitro Rad got me back into RPG Maker after a series of absences, though tbh I discovered him through that Drake and Josh review and didn't realize he covered RPG Maker stuff until a month ago. That said, it's a little disappointing that he only really covers the "weird" and "horror" side of RPG Maker. It always seems like more traditional RPGs made in RPG Maker get the short end of the stick.

Outside of him, I don't really follow much RPG Maker YouTubers. I used to follow Hahn Deathspark's stuff (and even did collabs with him a few times) but he deleted all of his content at some point. It was a shame because he did fun lets plays of RPG Maker games, critical but not harsh about it.

Jhale M. likes this.
  20. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    It seems that a relatively reliable place to discover RPG Maker YouTubers is to look at the sidebar(s) on the right when you are viewing their channel pages. I went on one of these YouTuber's pages and saw nearly all of the ones mentioned in this thread on the sidebar.

starlight dream and Verdelite like this.