RPG MZ semi-annoying multimonitor problem popped up.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MZ has been doing great with multi-monitor, and by great I mean it functioned how you'd expect most problems to work with multi-monitor, until... Well, I got a new monitor.

Now, when I'm right clicking within the window on my second monitor this happens?
1622915695055.png
(my mouse is positioned where the white square is when I right click and it appears there no matter where I right click, also, that's a new project to show that the problem is editor level for some reason)

There's nothing all that special about the monitor I bought, it's a 16:9 2k screen, 165 hertz with freesync. Not to mention, it's working fine on the new monitor itself, it's just doing this on the second monitor.

I've tried verifying integrity of the game on steam, tried changing resolution, tried changing the windows scaling, tried restarting multiple times and... it's still happening. Though, it was actually worse, at first, where the right click prompt would appear outside the screen and trying to open an event on the second screen would cause the event window to open outside
the screen, locking up the program until I hit escape.

Again, though, it works fine on the primary monitor.

Oddly enough, MV stopped glitching out(Right click appearing on primary monitor most of the time, as well as prompts opening on primary monitor) on multi-monitor at the same time this started happening. I have no idea what to do to fix this or why it's happening.

Edit: Literally uninstalled and reinstalled MZ and it still has the problem. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it worked fine with your previous "other" monitor and this only started when you replaced it with a new one, perhaps it's something in your monitor/display settings?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it worked fine with your previous "other" monitor and this only started when you replaced it with a new one, perhaps it's something in your monitor/display settings?
Yeah, been messing with that. I went to nvidia control panel and reset to factory defaults, messed around with app scaling, disabled the smoothing of app scaling, installed new drivers, changed resolution, changed orientation (portrait, horizontal, etc.), reinstalled MZ twice, changed the way the displays are positioned relative to one another in the display settings, tried a variety of new and old projects....

And it's still doing it. No matter which monitor is the primary and which is the secondary monitor, the secondary monitor always has the problem in the OP, so it's not like the new monitor actually has the problem specifically. I really don't get it, it's just a dell monitor, nothing special.

And this is only happening for MZ. The only other behavioral change is MV working properly with multi-monitor when it never used to. Every other program behaves as normal. I really, really, really don't get it.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry to double post, but I feel like there's one thing I haven't been able to change to fix this.

After reinstalling a couple of times there's something I've noticed: MZ, despite being uninstalled, still somehow remembers the last project I had opened and opens that (and on the second monitor in a weird, off-screen, position, no less) instead of going to the default no project open screen.

I figured this was kept in appdata or something, but when I uninstalled the rmmz appdata folder, it still kept the last project opened and the weird second monitor position. So, there's gotta be some place holding some borked data that can still be uninstalled.

TL;DR: How do you completely uninstall all data related to MZ (obviously not the projects). I'm using the steam version, if that helps.

Edit: Fixed-ish?

So,
I mean, this shouldn't work considering I tried just about everything imaginable from the system settings end of this, including turning off scaling and otherwise BUUUUUUTTTT...

I decided to mess around with compatibility settings for the EXE, tried windows 7 compatibility, windows 8, disabling fullscreen optimizations... finally I came down to "change high DPI settings", since my screens were 2k and 4k respectively, this obviously would apply.

Within that there's this:
1623012209570.png
Checking that box and pulling down system "fixes" the issue that did not exist beforehand.

If anyone has this issue in the future, I hope this helps? Still don't know what the cause is, because I adjusted every setting imaginable on the system end and reset factory defaults to just about everything.

Last edited:

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker has added support for high DPI screens starting with MV 1.5, but it seems the dev team never tested high DPI in a multi-monitor environment, so it makes sense that overriding high DPI scaling behavior works.
I've already noticed 2 other bugs also related to high DPI and multi-monitor and even wrote a feedback about it 2 days ago, though it still hasn't been approved by a mod.

All we can do for now is either use the primary monitor, override scaling behavior (and suffer through a blurry editor), or disable DPI scaling (and suffer through tiny UI elements that are barely visible).

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RPG Maker has added support for high DPI screens starting with MV 1.5, but it seems the dev team never tested high DPI in a multi-monitor environment, so it makes sense that overriding high DPI scaling behavior works.
I've already noticed 2 other bugs also related to high DPI and multi-monitor and even wrote a feedback about it 2 days ago, though it still hasn't been approved by a mod.

All we can do for now is either use the primary monitor, override scaling behavior (and suffer through a blurry editor), or disable DPI scaling (and suffer through tiny UI elements that are barely visible).
Now that you mention it I went from a 4k running at 1080p and a 1080p screen as the second monitor to running the 4k in 2k and replacing the 1080p with a 2k. So, yeah, that could be it.

And yeah, turning off DPI scaling makes everything a bit blurry.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Original Character Contest Winners Season 3 Pack! is now live!

I know it's a waste of time, but I decided to create a script that forces the RM2k game to always be in windowed mode. Just for fun anyway.
Rm2k.png
Coding some stuff. I just hope I'll be able to finish before school starts.
It's nice and breezy as well cool here, no AC needed! But keep you cozy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannesm