RPG No Longer Opens At All

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hate having to create new threads and waste more people's time but I am in desperate need of help!
RPG Maker no longer opens whatsoever!
When I attempt to run it, the little title card with all the anime characters pulls up but the actual editor studio doesn't load anymore. When I check my task manager, it tells me that RPG Maker is running as a background process but never tells me that the program is actually running... Which it isn't! Steam says it's running just fine and my computer seems to think so too but it simply isn't there. (Example shown in picture)
I have already tried the following to try and fix the problem:
---Letting it "load" for up to two hours (I still get hours added to my play time btw)
---Uninstalling and reinstalling the program
---Signing out/in to steam
---Un/Reinstalling Steam itself
---Checking the integrity of the application files
---Restarting my computer multiple times
---Contacting the support team and waiting for two weeks (no response)
I really feel like I'm running out of options entirely. I have tried everything I know how to do. The program will not run at all and I am literally unable to do anything with the editor or make any progress on my project whatsoever. Any help would be incredibly appreciated as this project is very important to me personally and means so much to me. Thank you.

Attachments

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't use Steam, so I'm not going to be much assistance there ... but I know there's an option to check the integrity of an install, so maybe try that?

And completely out of the blue ... have you had an extra monitor attached to your computer at some point, and could it still be thinking you have it attached, and have RPG Maker running on that?

Do you get an icon in the taskbar for it? If you hover over it, does it show the little popup window as if it IS running? Try right-clicking on that little window and choose Maximize.

I've had both of these things happen with different programs in the past.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I don't know what happened with the steam version, but this has been going around. A lot. Even hit me. What worked for me was uninstalling it, and then when installing, selecting a different location to install to. However, this only work if you have a second hard drive to choose for a location. Steam won't let you have two locations on the same drive.

Now, if you don't have a second hard drive at your disposal, you're going to need to uninstall Steam itself... and reinstall in a different location and see if that works. :(

Edit: Of note, my broken Steam installation was missing important files such as the entire set of NewData folders. Uninstalling and reinstalling it did not help at all with that, but the new location did.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If missing files are not reinstalled by steam upon checking file integrity (or reinstalling it), then the steam download cache had been damaged and needs to be cleared before checking file integrity will work again. There are instructions how to do this in steam help, it's needed once a year on average.

If that is not the case, then a background program on your Computer is blocking execution of the editor. Most likely an AntiVirus falsely thinking MV is a virus, but could be anything in the background (there is a video capture program that blocks steam-ace but not MV for example).

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@taarna23 I tried what you described and it worked! Installing Steam in a different file location worked and my game runs again! Thank you all so much for your recommendations! Much appreciated! Crisis averted.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
@BurgerMasterMan Glad to be of help! I know how it feels to not get the confounded thing going, and not everyone has a fallback to the standalone version.

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this is helpful or not at this point, but the "don't install steam games in the default directory" rule has been around for a long time. I used to mod fallout 3 and Oblivion back in the day and one of the #3 solution under user error or mod conflict to problems was always to "move your steam library somewhere other than the default C: drive."

Perhaps given the recent prevalance in similar issues for rpgmaker some mod investigation into precisely why/ a stickied topic would be helpful to the community.

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Philosophus Vagus are you implying that problems similar to mine could be caused by the same thing? If so, investigations into the cause of this could be helpful overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Chaos17 wrote on Poryg's profile.
Hi, I am following your videos tutorials serie about coding on MV and I am at the third video. Thank you for making it but's a bit hard to follow since you don't show the whole plugin at the end. I had to screenshot the lines between 110-159 because you scrolled so fast on them.
:rtear:
I'm not sure if I should be happy for MZ, or sad for MV.
Not going to lie.... The update's cool and all, but I immediately ran to Mog's site and was like, "Update! Update! Update!" while breathing on the page of his Star Ocean Battle System plugin. :kaoswt:
Ho boi. I can already see the storm of ugly actor faces RTP customizable facesets from MZ are gonna flood. XD
<-- Meet Seith. He begins the story as an apprentice druid, learning to survive in the wilderness by communing with nature and honing his herbalism. Seith has a deep desire to understand the world around him. When wells of chaotic energy begin erupting from the land,corrupting plant, animal and man alike, Seith finds himself on a journey to discover just what this means for the fate of his home, the land of Myarr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James1998