Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
The heroes being grounded in reality in a universe where everything else is magical and fantastical. In a world filled with magical creatures and dragons and whatnot, there could be so much potential for the heroes, but they have to be the one thing grounded in reality. If they get a pet: it's almost ALWAYS a dog. If they get a mount, it's almost ALWAYS a horse. But the villains get to have whatever cool pets and companions that their hearts desire because ONLY the hero needs to be grounded in reality.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Somehow the villains knew where you were
This really encapsulates the problem. It isn't an issue for the villain to capture the hero (a common trope), it's a problem when it's done badly (not understanding how to use the trope), especially hilariously badly. And that's how I view most tropes, ALL have been done terribly, but very few are inherently incapable of being done well.

The heroes being grounded in reality in a universe where everything else is magical and fantastical.
Although this might be the second one I've seen that is never done well. This is fiction in a fantasy world where the characters are actual heroes. We're already this far away from reality, leaning this much into this awesome setting and story, why try to rein it back? Now, treating the mundane AS fantasy can work well; Meeting the broody elf blood mage in boob armor and finding they have a regular dog as this bizarre and otherworldly companion can do a lot for characterization, setting, and story.

mosoku

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What Benny said. I also hate overly noble heroes.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
The heroes being grounded in reality in a universe where everything else is magical and fantastical. In a world filled with magical creatures and dragons and whatnot, there could be so much potential for the heroes, but they have to be the one thing grounded in reality. If they get a pet: it's almost ALWAYS a dog. If they get a mount, it's almost ALWAYS a horse. But the villains get to have whatever cool pets and companions that their hearts desire because ONLY the hero needs to be grounded in reality.

This could be a means to make the viewer/reader connect better with the protagonist: In the Neverending Story, Atreyu rides a horse at the beginning of his quest in a world made of all the fantasies that have ever existed. Though he gets to ride a dragon later on.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Characters who act like jerks but no one ever calls them out.

Character races that are mainly aesthetic, i usually prefer them to be more allegorical or have some symbolism behind them.

Too many elements or elements that make no sense. I get that crystal, gum, and tomato may make a valid elementsl triangle in someones mind but its very unintuitive.

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Has anyone played a game in which the main healer is an exploitative, manipulative, dick? Healing for a price, just like all those inns. Whenever they see a tragedy, they think of ways to earn money or become famous. xD

Not exactly a game, but I've recently watched this anime, "Redo of Healer", where the protagonist is basically this.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Character races that are mainly aesthetic, i usually prefer them to be more allegorical or have some symbolism behind them.

Too many elements or elements that make no sense. I get that crystal, gum, and tomato may make a valid elementsl triangle in someones mind but its very unintuitive.
I like it when the jerks suffer. Hate when the MC saves them from a situation they put themselves in though

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Theres an ancient evil, hope is lost, random character is supposed to save the day
2) X-part-of-the-royal-family has been kidnapped, and you hero must save them
3) Magic is ending, you're the only one who can save it, because yes
4) Random pseudo bad dude must be stopped by you, whos a good guy, and pseudo bad dude becomes good and probably sacrifices itself to fix its mistakes
5) Any story where villain is villain because they were born that way and/or hero is hero because yes.
6) Any story with a bad excuse for world ending and/or that picks a random person to be a hero

stories NEED world building.

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like it when the jerks suffer. Hate when the MC saves them from a situation they put themselves in though
Depends on the actions of said jerk. But always ALWAYS, I like to see jerk fix their own junk. Consequences AND redemption. It's a good arc. I mean, you expect the arc for the MC. I'm never going to mind it being served around.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

My game actually has a jerk character but he is universally disliked at first. Unfortunately, his presence in the party is mandatory: narratively, he ends up accompanying the MC because he's running away from an angry mob and accidentally attaches himself to him with the most powerful binding spell in recorded history.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3

A lot of times, races are barely even aesthetic. Just change one minor thing about humans and call it a day. Same issues with not really giving them any lore or anything often apply regardless.

The last one, like how some Dragon Quest games have TWO separate fire elements? Frizz AND Sizz?

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
3) Magic is ending, you're the only one who can save it, because yes

Oh MAN. I can't tell you how much the "magic is dying" trope legitimately gets on my bad side. Everything else I've seen here other than maybe "the chosen one" has garnered a "oh that's cool" or "that could be fun if spun in the right way" from me.

Not this one though. Cause nine times out of ten I see it as literally killing the potential of a story. Made much worse if the reasoning is something like "technology is advancing so magic is dying" or "this object that controls the flow of magic is destroyed", like are you kidding?

The last one, like how some Dragon Quest games have TWO separate fire elements? Frizz AND Sizz?

My friend showed me that and I legitimately didn't understand the reasoning.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A lot of times, races are barely even aesthetic. Just change one minor thing about humans and call it a day. Same issues with not really giving them any lore or anything often apply regardless.

Lol why would they have 2 fire elements.

In my case its less about what a race can do or looks like and more about the themes under pinning them and for that to be well considered.

One good example is (accidentally cause they lifted them wholesale from another setting) Warhammer's beastmen. They represent Chaos, they are a combination of man and animal because society is in part opposite to capital C Chaos, they mutate uncontrollably, attack settlements and generally have no goal other than destruction.

To segue...i kinda dont like magic being super reliable rather than something kinda dangerous.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
To segue...i kinda dont like magic being super reliable rather than something kinda dangerous.
I'm not a fan of magic being reliable or explainable. By that I mean I'm not a fan of the magic = science approach so many fantasy stories seem to take. Magic is robbed of its wonder and mystery in favour of equations and predictability. It's never sit right with me. If I wanted nonsense science, I'd immerse myself in a space opera, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic stories, etc. I guess I'm in the minority on this, though. xD

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Lol why would they have 2 fire elements.

In my case its less about what a race can do or looks like and more about the themes under pinning them and for that to be well considered.

One good example is (accidentally cause they lifted them wholesale from another setting) Warhammer's beastmen. They represent Chaos, they are a combination of man and animal because society is in part opposite to capital C Chaos, they mutate uncontrollably, attack settlements and generally have no goal other than destruction.

I think one common misconception about animals, though, is that they are inherently Savage and dangerous. Most animals don't really have a way of harming people, and the vast majority of the ones that can harm humans usually do it out of self-defense. There are a few animals, though. Hippos and certain Predator animals can harm humans unprovoked, however. But oftentimes, the entire animal kingdom is usually treated that way.

Last edited:

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think one common misconception about animals, though, is that they are inherently Savage and dangerous. Most animals don't really have a way of harming people, and the vast majority of the ones that can harm humans usually do it out of self-defense. There are a few animals, though. Hippos and certain Predator animals can harm humans unprovoked, however. But oftentimes, the entire animal kingdom is usually treated that way.
Logically yes, but symbolically animals represent a more primal state of being. Heck, warhammer's beastsmen are usually goats or bulls because of the symbology related to Baphomet, the Minotaur, and the Golden Calf.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
Logically yes, but symbolically animals represent a more primal state of being. Heck, warhammer's beastsmen are usually goats or bulls because of the symbology related to Baphomet, the Minotaur, and the Golden Calf.
Hell, they even use Minotaurs in their armies. xD

The concept of animals representing the primal, untamed nature of man is extremely old. Have you ever seen some old imagery of werewolves? Funny how they don't always depict men turning into literal wolves, but men on all fours preying upon their fellow man, devouring their kin, etc. Seems more like a warning to keep our more bestial urges in check than anything else. A lot of folkloric creatures are like that, though.

Last edited:

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hell, they even use Minotaurs in their armies. xD

The concept of animals representing the primal, untamed nature of man is extremely old. Have you ever seen some old imagery of werewolves? Funny how they don't always depict men turning into literal wolves, but men on all fours preying upon their fellow man, devouring their kin, etc. Seems more like a warning to keep our more bestial urges in check than anything else. A lot of folkloric creatures are like that, though.
I mean they can use minotaurs but the only beastman player i know said they werent worth the points lol.

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Removed text because my reply ain't as big XD
Ah yes, getting blasted for 12,000 damage by Ultimate Attack and surviving it in battle, then moments later being killed by a dagger in a cutscene and now dead forever. Logic doesn't always play nice with RPGs for sure.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, I love that. It doesn't *annoy* me, per say, I just find it really funny. One game I was playing everyone has like 25000 HP. In a cutscene, the bad dude literally just backhands one of your party members and she's unconscious. That was clearly an excuse for the male hero to have a revenge scene or whatever, but come on.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The worst text you can get from a friend "You left your webcam on!!!
When you start recoloring your character because lawsuits are expensive:

lawsuits are bad.png
Been busy in Fort Myers and I'm spending tonight and tomorrow in Orlando. Then I go home on Tuesday by train (I take the Amtrak) and rest up before work on Wednesday.
I'm going to make a thread on the forum asking an interesting question... about the next RPG Maker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown-Tale