RPG with a lot of freedom

flofloh139

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi everyone, i like games where you have a lot of freedom with your actions and i remember finding a game that claimed to allow you to explore the full map right from the beginning, so long as you had the strengh to fight off the monsters, allowing you to get better gear if you played smart. However i can't seem to find it again, does anyone knows this game or another game with a lot of freedom ?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Video Games. Thank you.

Are you talking specifically about RPG Maker games?

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaojoy:I know no other RM games have more freedom than mine both in and out of the game. (Just skip tutorials and it's basically all the weird things to do.)
The only limitation to that kind of freedom is the development speed.
This is how it looks like 8 years.

However, the world has been reset last December for a Steam publish and an English localization system. (All previous story and graphics content are removed, leading to a total remake with a new story.)
Thus, it currently only has about 10 hours of content. (Details are in the steam pages links down below)

:kaojoy:Let me know if there are other RM games that have more than this level of freedom by any chance so that I will study them and make my game have even more freedom than that.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi everyone, i like games where you have a lot of freedom with your actions and i remember finding a game that claimed to allow you to explore the full map right from the beginning, so long as you had the strengh to fight off the monsters, allowing you to get better gear if you played smart. However i can't seem to find it again, does anyone knows this game or another game with a lot of freedom ?
Only game I know that ever claimed that, is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

orochi2k

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaoswt2:Wait...how about The Elder Scroll 3, The Elder Scroll 4, The Elder Scroll 5, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, Crusader King 1/2/3(That's kind of an RPG & Strategy & Simulation hybrid), 2077, GTA5, some Neverwinter Night modules, and tons of MMORPG.
:kaojoy:Those are the freedom level that I'm trying to approach.

Last edited:

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
:kaoswt2:Wait...how about The Elder Scroll 3, The Elder Scroll 4, The Elder Scroll 5, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, Crusader King 1/2/3(That's kind of an RPG & Strategy & Simulation hybrid), 2077, GTA5, some Neverwinter Night modules, and tons of MMORPG.

I only know Fallout, Cyberpunk 2077, and GTA, but those games don't let you explore the full map right from the beginning (excluding the tutorial, that is).

In Fallout, you'll die very quickly without the proper gear and preparation if you attempt to explore high-radiation places, such as The Glow (Fallout), Vault 87 (Fallout 3), or the Glowing Sea (Fallout 4). Sure, technically the game doesn't stop you from exploring those places, but no amount of "playing well" is going to help you there. At least not until you manage to get lots and lots of Rad-X and RadAway.

Cyberpunk 2077 does not even let you leave Watson before the lockdown ends. Except if you're a Street kid, because you've got a fast travel point. This is probably a bug or an oversight, since the devs pretty much removed any other way to leave Watson, except the fast travel point. Also, as far as I know, Arasaka Tower is off-limits until the very end.

Even GTA 5 doesn't let you explore the full map. I mean, sure, the entire overworld map is open to you, but there are a number of indoor places you can only enter during specific missions. Good luck trying to reach Ludendorff or trying to enter the Lifeinvader building or the FIB headquarters outside of the relevant mission.

Seriously, the only game I know of that ever claimed you could go anywhere right from the start (after the tutorial, that is) is Breath of the Wild.

orochi2k

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaoswt2:Well, I guess some compensation for the story and development resource limitation is there sometimes.
Still, I think I'm quite close to solving this by now.

Other than that, if we also count simulation RPG into the RPG category and only talking about map accessibility. Then Uncharted Waters IV is also a match. It just got an HD version while it is regional locked in western countries on Steam.

Last edited:

VCraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Other
I agree! Personally I played Fallout 2, 3, New Vegas and The Elder Scrolls Oblivion, they all have lots of freedom. Though they old games.
Not RPG games, but rather Strategy games with lots of freedom that I liked as well heroes of might and magic III (especially randomly generated maps) and Civilization.
Another game that comes to mind is action adventure with open world - Infamous The Second Son, the gameplay itself feels like freedom when playing this awesome game.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

At this point, "unique and diverse cast of characters" might as well be slang for Every Character is a Human-Sue.
I found an absolutely brilliant lifehack on the internet today.

Screenshot_760.jpg
It does sometimes get a little embarrassing that I often come here to ask for help with something and seldom have anything to actually show for it. If there is one thing though I can commend myself for, it's for sticking with an idea I've been tinkering with for this long now and gradually making headways. Even though I've been reserved about my progress, I can say I'm farther now than where I initially started.
I'm gonna put my project on pause for a tiny bit so I can explore the engine outside of it... Winging it can only get you so far LMFAO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmnet83