RPG without battles or using battle system for creative or non-combat mechanics?

OscarSouth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello!

I'm still pretty new to RMMV -- have been feeling my way around the program and watching a lot of tutorials. Also picked up the beautiful PVGames 2.5D graphics which bring back much nostalgia of Ultima Online experiences many years ago!
I'm quite deeply involved through two sides of my career with music and programming (data science) and love storytelling, so I'm seeing working with this engine as a great way to combine all these things.

With this in mind, I'm much more interested in creating beautiful and immersive environments, endearing characters and memorable scores than a traditionally 'competitive' game -- the characters and plot would really serve as motivators to experience and move through the artwork at a suitable pace.

I've been thinking about how a game could be designed so that battles are either not used (in favour of another repetitive mechanic) or even using the battle system for something creative that isn't necessarily battling at all (for example a more deeply philosophical encounter with an NPC, where a greater depth of dialogue and experience can be designed).

Has anyone else got any thoughts on this, or even any examples where creators have used a similar approach to battling in their games?

Thanks!
Oscar

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a "Magical Girl" type game I saw a topic about the other day where they use the battle system to question NPCs, gossip and gain clues. I thought that was pretty neat.

Last edited:

OscarSouth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a "Magical Girl" type game I saw a topic about the other day where they use the battle system to question NPCs, gossip and gain clues. I thought that was pretty neat.
Cheers! Couldn't track this down from a search and look around for related terms. If you could give me any more info (or even just the subforum) I'd appreciate that.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I edited my post with the link. :)

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of Horror RPG Maker games don't have battle systems. It's used mostly to tell a story and when a bad guy pops up, you run rather than fight. I saw one where you painted during battle scenes, too, though I forget all the details for that one. I think you could choose to paint the battler or talk.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could forego the battle scene altogether and create a puzzle type game reminiscent of King's Quest or Myst.
Myst focused on beautiful environments, music, and environmental puzzles; it was pretty great for its time.

I haven't played the newer King's Quest games, but the older ones from the 90's gave you 2D environments to explore with an avatar. Lots of riddles and puzzles to solve.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In 'Last Word' battles are done via dialogue choices. iirc, you collect topics of conversation by gossiping.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first RPG Maker game had a bunch of different mini-games and on-map challenges instead of battles. Good way to learn how to handle switches and variables.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
https://hadecynn.itch.io/monstruct

One of my favorite rpg maker games and a large part is using the 'default' battle system as a very unique puzzle game. I've also personally played with the idea of using the battle system in place of diplomacy and other forms of persuasion.

Dr. Delibird

Also known as HRforges
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having a stealth system where being spotted/found is what triggers the game over screen (or whatever fail state you want really) is a way to complete remove the battle system from the equation.

Actually yeah any game that doesn't have traditional conflict at it's core does well with this as you'd have no need for a traditional battle system in say a farming simulator buuuut you could use the battle scene as basically a menu for fertilizing/taking care of your crops where instead of attacks you have different watering, pruning, fertilizing options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

His tracks are always so wonderful.
In a narrative Choose Your Own Adventure-style RPG, do you prefer the narrative to be in 2nd person ("you saw", "you thought"), or 3rd person ("he saw", "he thought")?

What's your preference, and why?
So I have been wondering, if a scientist had to fight mano-a-mano, what kind of weapon he could use besides guns, injecting himself with Super Drug X, and piloting Mecha 13th?
3 hours of trying to figure out why my world creator was respawning stuff I wanted spliced out... Only to discover I foolishly trying to splice an object and not it's array position. *facepalms * Oh well at least some good came out of it, I remembered how much fun it is to squish Yanpi. :LZSexcite:
Since I have seen a few thing on MZ I can now tell that it will not be a disappointment. Seems like we got a product that kinda justifies its price to be honest. And you know I am hard to please and always honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisarosy