alorix

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I've been slowly working on a game where you can to pick and play as a monster. I have at least 14 monsters planed to choose from, but I'm not sure if RPG Maker XP  can even DO that? Can any of the RPG makers?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The database can handle 999 actors, as you can see by using the change maximum button on RMXP - same for later makers.

I think one game had a selection of 250 actors or so - but that did show the main problem with such numbers: the player no longer cares because the actors aren't unique enough to be different.

So the limit is not technical, but by your ideas - how many different actors/monsters can you define in a way that they aren't red goblin, green gobline, yellow goblin and so on?

alorix

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
The database can handle 999 actors, as you can see by using the change maximum button on RMXP - same for later makers.

I think one game had a selection of 250 actors or so - but that did show the main problem with such numbers: the player no longer cares because the actors aren't unique enough to be different.

So the limit is not technical, but by your ideas - how many different actors/monsters can you define in a way that they aren't red goblin, green gobline, yellow goblin and so on?

That Part I think i'll be ok with. The unique Monsters. I'm a character designer so i think i'll be ok. 

But I just wasn't sure if it was possible to have 14 options for a playable race.

Frozen_Phoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Make sure the playable characters are different enough to be worth it. A party of 4 or idk monsters would be better than playing as each one individually I think.

alorix

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Make sure the playable characters are different enough to be worth it. A party of 4 or idk monsters would be better than playing as each one individually I think.

What do you mean by Different?  Do you mean design or gameplay?

Frozen_Phoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you mean by Different?  Do you mean design or gameplay?

Both. It's better if the characters have distinct looks and play styles to give a reason to pick one character over another.

alorix

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Both. It's better if the characters have distinct looks and play styles to give a reason to pick one character over another.

I would have had character selection because of aesthetic  reasons.

Also the playable races range from Naga, to Centaur to Giant Spider to Chimera. All types. i have 14 diffrence playable races. 

Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian.
Primarily Uses
I suggest you look at some of Final Fantasy V's classes, many follow the same archetype, but they all add something new that goes along well with the basics.

alorix

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A

Also the playable races range from Naga, to Centaur to Giant Spider to Chimera. All types. i have 14 diffrence playable races. 

I suggest you look at some of Final Fantasy V's classes, many follow the same archetype, but they all add something new that goes along well with the basics.

IDK what that means cause i've never played ANY final fantasy game.

Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian.
Primarily Uses

Um...Well, they're all derivatives of basic RPG classes, but some have unique gimmicks, equipment restrictions, magic movesets, ways of gaining their skills, etc.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_V_jobs

Have a quick glance if you want.

Authumbla

Listen To My Soundcloud Fam?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

You should give them a shot! They're very archetypical, but they'll really help give you some pointers on what to do and what not to do in an RPG.

Creating fourteen different monster types seems interesting, but you'll have to put a lot of work into differentiating them. It's not completely impossible - Risk of Rain is a roguelike run-and-gun with twelve characters and almost no dialogue. Despite this, the descriptions of each character's abilities gives you a pretty good idea of what they're like. For example, the Commando seems like a cool tough guy (think Duke Nukem), the Enforcer is sort of a brave cop, HAN-D is a big brutal robot, and the Chef is just goofy.

Some of the characters are distinctly better than others (HAN-D is really, really hard to use properly), so you can create a sort of selectable difficulty level by balancing their various abilities around that - that might help make the game replayable, which you're probably hoping for since there are fourteen playable characters.

alorix

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
You should give them a shot! They're very archetypical, but they'll really help give you some pointers on what to do and what not to do in an RPG.

Creating fourteen different monster types seems interesting, but you'll have to put a lot of work into differentiating them. It's not completely impossible - Risk of Rain is a roguelike run-and-gun with twelve characters and almost no dialogue. Despite this, the descriptions of each character's abilities gives you a pretty good idea of what they're like. For example, the Commando seems like a cool tough guy (think Duke Nukem), the Enforcer is sort of a brave cop, HAN-D is a big brutal robot, and the Chef is just goofy.

Some of the characters are distinctly better than others (HAN-D is really, really hard to use properly), so you can create a sort of selectable difficulty level by balancing their various abilities around that - that might help make the game replayable, which you're probably hoping for since there are fourteen playable characters.

Well i wasn't going to give each species abilities, more of just like visual kinda thing. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It might be a little bit boring and tedious, but building that database of armor, items, weapons and skills are super important.
More words of wisdom: Trying to make everyone happy will just make you miserable.
Ads: "Up to 90% off"
Reality: 9 items at 10% Off, one item at 90% off
if you were working on a rhythm-based retro fighting game, would you rather have the jumps take up two beats (one for jumping, one for landing) or just one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insaneaphobe