chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Poppie's Mod System (WIP)
PMS for short (I can see the jokes already)

The plugin is about a few hundred lines long...

So, I wasn't able to find any mod systems for this engine anywhere. Being that I needed one for my game the only real option was to make my own, and i decided to make it a publicly available thing to anyone else who may wish to add such things to their own games. the following information will describe how it works and update progress, the mod system will allow the following things to be added to your games by your players;
  • [Data: Graphics: X] Actors
  • [Data: Graphics: ] Items
  • [Data: Graphics: ] Weapons
  • [Data: Graphics: ] Armors
  • [Data: Graphics: N] Classes
  • [Data: Graphics: N] Common Events
  • [Data: Graphics: X] Enemies
  • [Data: Graphics:] Skills
  • [Data: Graphics: ] States
  • [Data: Graphics: N] Troops

Currently custom tilesets are not something that i plan on making, however it might be something that gets added on down the road. Plugin commands that allow for setting up in game situations that normally would rely on database IDs which are no longer static to be done easily.

How it works
There is so much behind the scenes stuff it hurts my small brain

All it really does is it goes into the mods that are in the mod folder and gathers all the data that the mods want to add into the game, then slaps them into respective JSON files in the data folder. all this happens before it goes and loads the information, effectively hijacking the files before they are loaded and inserting our data into it (honestly i was surprised it was all that simple).

Planned features
I am dumb so these might take a bit

*Plugin commands to actually use modded data
*Key based mod encryption
*Allow custom icons to be loaded for items, equipment, states, ect...
*Allow custom enemy graphics.
*Allow custom event graphics.
*Allow custom Tileset graphics to be loaded.
*Possibly allow custom plugins to be added.

Suggested plugins
People smarter than me have already made some neat stuff

Some things wont be done by my plugin on it's own, I am just going to go and handle the dumb database/file side of modding. However some things others have already gotten to doing, such as loading maps by file.

CT_Bolt Read Map Data (This guy is the real MVP here)

Downloads
PMS v0.8:

Last edited:

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, this is awesome! Can't wait to see it released.

If I may suggest something, if possible, you should make it only be applied temporarily so that if a player closes the game, deletes the mod from the mod folder, and starts up the game again, their mod won't be present any longer.

It would also be a good thing if it worked with encrypted files somehow.

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, this is awesome! Can't wait to see it released.

If I may suggest something, if possible, you should make it only be applied temporarily so that if a player closes the game, deletes the mod from the mod folder, and starts up the game again, their mod won't be present any longer.

It would also be a good thing if it worked with encrypted files somehow.
Well the thing about encryption is that i am not smart enough to do it, i mean there might be a reasonable way to do it but that would require some searching to figure it out.

How it's set up is that it builds the new database to "Build_[insert thing].json" so the base files that belong to the game are not touched by the mod loader, so you can easily just delete the build files without having to worry about losing the base game's data.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well the thing about encryption is that i am not smart enough to do it, i mean there might be a reasonable way to do it but that would require some searching to figure it out.

How it's set up is that it builds the new database to "Build_[insert thing].json" so the base files that belong to the game are not touched by the mod loader, so you can easily just delete the build files without having to worry about losing the base game's data.
Okay perfect, that's how I thought it operated but I just wanted to make sure! It almost sounded like it added stuff to the base files. That solves the question about encryption too because it would work with it. Sweet :3

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay perfect, that's how I thought it operated but I just wanted to make sure! It almost sounded like it added stuff to the base files. That solves the question about encryption too because it would work with it. Sweet :3
Well how encryption would probably work would be Key based, basically the game you make would have a key to decrypt the mods, however if someone can decompile the game, they would be also able to decrypt the mods.

The mods wouldn't be encrypted the same way the game files are, the game files are their own thing and would be encrypted by the editor when you build the project. but mods that are added onto the game would have to use a different method.

Side note:
This mod system could also allow you to add patches and updates without having to release a whole new version of the game.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Side note:
This mod system could also allow you to add patches and updates without having to release a whole new version of the game.
I can see how that would be sort of useful, but you don't have to release a new version of the game. Updates can contain only the files you updated. I'm fairly certain that RPG Maker by default loads things from the game folder before it loads things that have been encrypted, so if you have a patch for a map, you only have to include that map in an update file in the correct location instead of including your entire encrypted file that contains every map. If I'm wrong on that I'd be happy to be corrected, though.
Having updates be slotted in the "mod" folder would be a little chaotic, too.
You could get a slightly smaller file size if you were doing something like adding or modifying an enemy, or changing an actor, or something, I suppose. Not by much, though.

I'm also not worried about encrypting mods, btw. I was just making sure that mods would work with encrypted game files because I wasn't sure whether you meant that the mod data would be added into the original data or if the game would load the mod data after it had already loaded the original data. Since it is the latter, yeah, encryption doesn't matter :) at least to me.

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can see how that would be sort of useful, but you don't have to release a new version of the game. Updates can contain only the files you updated. I'm fairly certain that RPG Maker by default loads things from the game folder before it loads things that have been encrypted, so if you have a patch for a map, you only have to include that map in an update file in the correct location instead of including your entire encrypted file that contains every map. If I'm wrong on that I'd be happy to be corrected, though.
Having updates be slotted in the "mod" folder would be a little chaotic, too.
You could get a slightly smaller file size if you were doing something like adding or modifying an enemy, or changing an actor, or something, I suppose. Not by much, though.

I'm also not worried about encrypting mods, btw. I was just making sure that mods would work with encrypted game files because I wasn't sure whether you meant that the mod data would be added into the original data or if the game would load the mod data after it had already loaded the original data. Since it is the latter, yeah, encryption doesn't matter :) at least to me.
Oh, no mods will work regardless of if the game is encrypted or not, and how it works is like this;
Before the game goes and loads it's assets, it's told to go build a series of files, these files are modded databases.
then the game looks at these new files as it's told to load them.

Honestly the system is nothing all that complex So far at least until i do the graphics part

Hoped that helped to explain things!

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The system now lets you get an item by name, all you have to do is use a simple function, specify a name and amount, and boom, it changes the inventory even including modded items.

It also lets you make it so that you can use a custom graphic for the items! including weapons and armor.

(this part was probably the most headache inducing.)

The order i will be doing things in is;
*Custom state graphics
*Custom Skill graphics
*Figuring out how to allow custom event graphics
*Custom actor face graphics
*Custom actor character graphics
*Custom actor SV battle graphics
*Custom Enemy graphics

Stick around! I plan on getting this pretty much completely done within the next couple days.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice! Can't wait till it's finished

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a quick update;
status effects now have custom icons as well! It was a little annoying due to the fact that...states dont have a simple ".meta" to them, had to get data from a string.

Next step is skills!

Kinda great to finally be able to not at all have to deal with the restrictions of only being able to use files in a predetermined location, allows for much easier messing around...and of course mods!

And of course this also works with modded states!

Edit: just wanted to give a little peek to show it works with battles too:

Last edited:

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Changing the graphics of events party members and even vehicles is now possible to do by just specifying the file you want to change them to!
Here is a video preveiw of it doing it's thing.

the remaining things to work on before v1.0 is released;
Enemy graphics
face graphics
Some more public functions

and that's it!

(edit; the video is laggy becuase obs hates existing with anything else running on my 2 core laptop)

Aethers

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
This is something I want to eventually have, very cool!

I hope you would complete the graphics mod support.

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sadly the plugin has been put on hold, My laptop died and until i can get replacement parts i am unable to access the project.
if memory serves me right i had even made a secondary version that worked with mv3d....which wasn't a fun task to figure out.

• Wow
Reactions: J-G

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Pootscooter wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey @Pharonix, just wondering what you're up to lately and if you've had an opportunity to check out the LTBS thread in the past few days...(a couple of us could really use your expertise). Hope you are well and Happy Thanksgiving!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoetsoi