RPGMaker MV Honours Project Ideas

Teodor Mihai

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
I've been using RPG maker VX ace for fun for a bout a year and a half now (whenever I had time). After I tried the trial edition of MV I gotta say I really liked it. So here is the kicker. Next year I gotta do my honours project for my 4th year of Software Engineering (starting in september). And I really dislike most of the projects suggested by the teachers. We have the opportunity to suggest our own projects so I figured I might try and suggest one related to RPG maker. I plan on buying MV at the end of june so I can get some experience with it. I was thinking of suggesting to a teacher that I expand on MV with multiple custom scripts / features  (for example a relationship towards other characters feature would be one of them)(also I like coding in javascript so hopefully that helps). What do you guyz think?  Do you have any ideas I could suggest for a project that involve RPG maker? Or any additional ideas towards scripts / features? (also please don't suggest art/music-intensive projects, as I am more of a coder (I am ok with spriting though)).

Thanks in advance!

watermark

Happy Holidays!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's a good idea that you want to focus on scripts.

First you should check out what the major scripters of the community such as Yanfly, Galv, DreamX, Vlue, etc. have done already. You can find Yanfly and some of the others here: http://yanfly.moe/friends

Then you should embark on creating some major features that they haven't covered already. It should be something that majorly improves or alters the engine in some way so your professor won't think you're just using someone else's software. I dunno, maybe make a full fledged SRPG engine with advanced pathfinding and AI or something. THAT is definitely code intensive. You get the point.

After this you can put up a resource site where everyone can download your scripts. Or you can use your scripts in a game as Practical Application of your work. Since you say you are not good with non-coder stuff, perhaps you can join a team in the Project Recruitment section. If you're interested, perhaps you can join our team. Learn more about us at our website http://www.watermarkrpg.com or check out some of our games in my signature. PM me if interested and we can discuss some possibilities.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to General Discussion - this is not really an MV support question. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Anthyny

Mantis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
While I have no real experience with what your professor might expect from you in 4th year Software Engineering, I'd think that he'd might want something a little more complex then something you put together with another company's software. If anything though, similar to what watermark said, it'd have to be something that drastically changed / added in terms of features that the engine doesn't already have.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure what has been done already, but one of the most intense things you can develop for RM as far as I know are battle systems. Surely there's a niche that hasn't been filled yet?

I don't know if the scope is as large (probably not) but another option could be a complete dungeon tools/puzzles kit (think Lufia II), including such things as swinging swords, hook shots that can either latch unto something and bring you to it or grab something and bring it to you, bombs, arrows, maybe a flame thrower of sorts, boxes you can push/pull, boxes you can lift and throw, objects you can cut, smash or light on fire, switches that react to bombs exploding or to being pressed by other events (the boxes you push & pull for instance), jumping, moving platforms you can actually move on, holes you can fall in or throw stuff in, auto-move tiles (conveyor belts) or sliding tiles (ice)... Climbing maybe? I don't know, any other idea that might fit this.

Teodor Mihai

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
Thank you all for your input. I really like the idea of a SRPG system, and I do have a few custom ones in mind. I will bring this up to the teacher that is in charge of the video games course after my exams, maybe he will be ok with it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?
YAY!!! My third help Guide STEAM integration in MV (High performance) has been posted!

Both the polls for the 3rd Original Character Contest ended with 5th place ties! So let's break those ties. Vote now for your favorite of the ones tied!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mariner2