RPGmaker MV?

Gun2SV

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, i bought VX Ace a while back because my friend told me its good and its the latest... well he is clearly an idiot. is it worth to buy MV over VX Ace or nah?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[move]product discussion[/move]

From the outside (eventing and database), Ace and MV are almost identical and you can use Ace to learn the Makers while waiting for a sale of MV if you want to switch.

From the inside (script language) the two programs are absolutely incompatible, but that switch allowed the games done with MV to leave the limits of Ace.

Ace is windows-only, 640*480 max
MV is available on Windows, MacOS and Linux and can additionally deploy to mobile and web as well. And is no longer limited to 640*480, although you still need to be carefull on what resolutions are supported on which devices.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, honestly, VX Ace is still good. There are a lot of good reasons to stick with it, such as a more larger amount of resources, both commercial and free, Ruby is easy enough to learn to script with than Javascript and honestly with MV, you need a more powerful computer to run the games with due to them being made in HTML5, which is not older PC friendly.

The advantages of MV are that, as Andar stated, it has a much better window size without resorting to messy glitches and it's more portable in terms of platform distribution. The downsides is that Javascript has a slightly different learning curve and MV resources are still technically scarce by comparison because Ace can use XP, VX and its own resources without much modification.

They can still be used in MV at their native size, but you need plugins to change the way things are displayed at runtime. I still highly recommend VX Ace alongside MV since they are both very good engines. Choice is yours, really.

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm personally I disagree with you about scripting @djDarkX , I find Ruby absolutely incomprehensible, whereas I picked up JavaScript pretty quickly. I think it's a matter of personal preference.

I tried VXAce and MV, and I bought MV. It's been long enough that I can't tell you the differences in the editor features (which are relatively minor aside from the scripting/plugin language), but personally I liked MV better.

Both come with free trials from the RPGMakerWeb site. Why not try both and see which appeals to you?

Gun2SV

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks guys, @Llareian I tried MV, it does has more features and it is easier to use, but for some reason I find it more comfortable to use VX ace. but thanks a lot anyway, ill try to get MV later on ^^

Deletrius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yep, I have one
Primarily Uses
Other
I took a long time deciding between VX Ace and MV, too. When it comes to free resources, Ace probably still beats MV. I went with MV when I decided to parallax my maps and wanted 48*48 tiles to have more space to work with. If you don't intend to do that, I don't see any problems with using VX Ace. IF you decide to go with MV, you may not want to buy it immediately at the normal price. As long as you watch humblebundle and steam, you can get it cheap sooner or later. The editor features are very similar, so you can familiarize yourself with VX Ace in the meantime. Also, owning Ace means you can use Ace resources in MV if you want to, so no harm done ;)

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm personally I disagree with you about scripting @djDarkX , I find Ruby absolutely incomprehensible, whereas I picked up JavaScript pretty quickly. I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Well, Ruby was made to be a more newbie friendly language and that was the impression I got when I started learning it for my purposes in Ace. Javascript, through, whole other ball game for me.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here are the reasons you might want MV over Ace
  • You want to distribute your game in many platforms. And you don't want to answer a question like "Can I play your game on mobile" with "no" as answer
  • You prefer bigger resolution, and a bigger tileset size
  • You want to see it improved over time since MV support is currently more active and it gets update, unlike VXAce
  • You are familiar with JS rather than Ruby
  • You find no more new script in VXAce as (far as I know) Ace scripters stopped making script publicly for VXAce like it used to be (You can still request a feature though)
Here are the reasons you might want VXAce over MV
  • You want to stick in windows platform
  • You prefer smaller size of tileset (32x32)
  • You want to use MIDI
  • You are familiar with Ruby rather than JS
  • You already own more resources formatted for Ace rather than MV

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV and VX Ace or both equally worth owning, especially VX Ace for its assets.

Well, Ruby was made to be a more newbie friendly language and that was the impression I got when I started learning it for my purposes in Ace. Javascript, through, whole other ball game for me.
Ruby was made to look elegant, not necessarily be beginner friendly. It is great as a scripting language for automating tasks (sort of like Python is) but it isn't ideal for game development. Combine Ruby with Bash on a a UNIX system and you've got a very powerful setup to get stuff done. That said, I prefer JS for game development and Ruby is best left for automating tasks on a server system. JS has been becoming more and more powerful over the years and there may very well come a point where it becomes the most commonly used general purpose language.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.
Hey everyone! Not sure how many people know about Cafofo Music on Itch.io, but I highly recommend their Sound Effects! It is amazing quality AND quantity and best of all, they are having a 50% sale! I can't express how much I love sales.
Wow.... My last map GIF got 47 likes, 16 retweet and 2,105 views on Twitter in 24 hours. My game thread here's only got 3k views in 6-7 months. I guess building my Twitter was insanely worth it. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeoValinferno