RPGVX - Invisible event causes black screen?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX' started by wigglyfingers, Feb 16, 2015.

1. wigglyfingers

wigglyfingers Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I compressed my game to check if it works and there's a problem!

I have an event where the player goes to the door and it asks the player he if or she would like to go out and gives them a choice. Fact is that two tiles in front of the player, the player can't move forward and if they press x to do something then it fades to black. Afterward it's gone all black you can still open the menu and everything but you just can't see.

[​IMG]
    ^^^ a screenshot, maybe this is happening because I have too many events in a map?

The red square is where the player bumps into nothing and the screen fades to black if they interact with it. 

[​IMG]
    ^^^ EDIT: The event page of the event that the player should be interacting with. During playtesting it's fine, just when I've compressed the game, then the problem happens. ;_;

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What scripts are you using? Do you have a parallaxed background on the "to" map? Any chance your parallaxed map (if that's what you're using) isn't being included in the compressed file? Any chance the script you're using uses the File. commands to load it? I know they won't work on a compressed project.

I'm assuming you're saying it actually appears to transfer the player to the correct map, but it's just not showing the map?

What happens if you change the switch BEFORE the transfer command?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  3. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My guess was going to be that it's the transfer command.  But, I can't think why that would cause an issue.  It just struck me as odd to have it in that order when I've always kind of learned that you do transfer commands last in an event to avoid general bugginess.

If the transfer is working, it has to be something else to do with the map you're being transferred to.  Can you tell if the player moves on the black screen?  Can you see the player on top of the black screen, or are they all black as well?

If you can see the player on top of the black screen, it's likely a problem with something you did with mapping (perhaps the parallex thing that Shaz mentions).  If you can't see the player either, I would guess you have an auto-run or parallel process event running on the new map you transferred into that is "fade to black" command, but you don't have a "fade in" command present to return the screen to normal.

4. wigglyfingers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I fixed the problem by deleting some pages in the event. And now there's another problem which involves graphics for actors going missing! Although I don't know whether or not I should post this problem in the same thread or make a new topic....

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it only when the game is compressed?

Why did you delete event pages? Did you try the suggestions we gave you? You didn't give any feedback on results, or answer any of our questions. Not much point asking for help if you're going to ignore it and go off on your own tangent ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  6. wigglyfingers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I really appreciate your help and I'm sorry for not giving you feedback properly. So um...

What was meant to happen was that the player tranfers to a new map and a cutscene happens immediately after the player gets transfered. What actually happened was the player got caught in an invisible space and it faded to black once interacting with it.

^^^ The map

^^^red box is where the player bumps into nothing

Everything turns black, even the player. Just like if you fade out screen but forgot to put fade in screen. 

It's just when the game is compressed that this happens. During play testing it's totally fine. I tried placing the switch before the command and that didn't do any change. I checked all the graphics and parallaxes to see if they were all there (they were.) The only scripts I have are Modern Algebra's Advanced messaging scripts and a Map Anti-lag script.

I deleted some pages in the event so instead of having 6 pages I have 4 and it works fine now. But now when the cutscene happens, the actor graphics are missing. It's like solving a problem and getting more.

I hope I'm not 'double-posting'?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you use spoilers, you can just use the img tag to add your images - you don't have to make them a link to an external page.

When you compressed the game, did you tell it to include RTP? I don't think that's the issue here, as even if you said not to, if you're still playing it on the same computer that has RPG Maker installed, it'd find the RTP anyway.

Can you put it back to the way it was (did you make a backup before deleting event pages)? Can you load the project up so I can take a look?

8. wigglyfingers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry for replying so, so late. Sadly I didn't back things up to where things started going wrong.

I exported two versions with RTP and without, both having the same result.

I'm planning to start the whole project over? Maybe doing it over in a new project might it could fix the problem, and I would definitely back it up this time. ^^'

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    After the transfer, do you do a Fade In?

Your comment about "after I compressed my game" initially made me think it worked okay when you were testing from the editor, but the problem only happened after the compression, so I was looking for things that might behave differently before/after compressing. But reading again, it seems that might have been a bit of a red herring, as you never actually said (at least in your first post) that it was ever working BEFORE you compressed the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015