ItsTforThree

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, I've been using VXAce since 2017, and I'm reluctant on changing to MZ. On one side, it's a new engine that will likely still be up to standard by the time I finish my 1-2 year project. On the other side, it's a script heavy project, and since I know nothing about scripts, I mostly rely on scripts posted online. Because of its age, VXAce has way more scripts posted that I can use. Is it better to use MZ or VXAce?

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like MZ, so I use it. I rarely ever have a hard time finding plugins to do what I need and the engine is pretty user-friendly. On the other hand, if you're already familiar with Ace, I think it can do anything MZ can, and you're right about the number of existing scripts. If you already own MZ (or if there's a good sale, maybe), it might be worth trying out for a while, but it's probably not something you need for the quality of your final project.

Ronyunderen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
use mv or mz and make a game for mobile.

Pasteleptic

Costan's Sin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In my humble opinion, stick with VXAce until you finish your current project. If you're looking for a cutting-edge engine, I'd wait until RPG Maker Unite is released; there will be many QOL changes, especially on the development side of things.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Continue with Ace until you are finished with the project(s) you are working on if you have lots of scripts in them, otherwise you can move to MZ. The number of plugins for MZ is quite large now.
If you happen to come across a feature that is not available in MZ then making a plugin request will spark someone to make it. Even if it's paid for.
I've been working on my game for 6 years now and I keep procrastinating (and helping others) instead of just working on my game. I'm like 10% complete with over 400 scripts.

Ingwer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A few additional things you could (or should) consider are the following:

- Are your specs sufficient for an upgrade to MZ? If Ace may run better for you this could be an advantage in staying with it
- What do you plan to achieve with your project? If you plan to do something more up to date and serious, MZ would be better for future use.
- How far are you with your project? Have you worked on it already or "only" set up the scripts - which of course also can be worth keeping it within Ace at that point

That said, also consider that
- Ace is still a stable and powerful tool, although by being ten years old, it obviously will show its age in certain limits, how things are presented and handled, as well as the engine itself being not up to modern standards, as well
- MZ, while being more powerful and modernized, did change up some of the work flow and certain characteristics you have to get comfortable with at first - not by much, but still something to keep in mind

Lastly, how in-depth is your project at this point? While it is true that probably anything you can add as script for Ace has a counterpart for MZ, how much time have you invested into relying on how exactly a certain script works or presents itself in your game. Did you change stuff in it to some extent to make it more custom? How does your game "feel" in its entirety?
Depending on what your answer is, this feeling and what you can make to replicate the same result with Plugins for MZ can differ by a lot. Which of course normally wouldn't be an issue - but it gets us back to the question of how much you've already invested into your current project in Ace.

If it's clearly worth it to you for what MZ basically means as an upgrade, you can certainly make the switch. If your project is important to you for what it is in Ace already, I would keep it within that engine and make the jump afterwards.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The main game of my trilo/saga 50%OFF on Steam..... its now or never more
I swap between Ace and MZ so I can stay fresh but - what do you mean you can use subfolders in the plugin's folder for easier organization!?
Did some new music again, praise be. To the next song!
Watch Studio Blue play Numina by starlit in our latest RPG Maker Games Critique stream starting NOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guihguih27