Tooi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, I've tried a lot of potential solutions and the problem still exists so I'm hoping to get some help here. :)

I had an old MSI laptop that used to run RPG Maker MV 1.61 perfectly. Playtests would run at 60fps and Deployment too. However the laptop itself was becoming unreliable, it took a very long time to boot and log in and would randomly freeze without warning as well as the screen going black. So I decided to buy a new laptop which is the Dell XPS 15 in hopes that I could keep working on my project without the issues I had before. However, despite this new laptop being a lot more powerful than my old one, playtests and deployment have a lot of lag and frame drops during gameplay fluctuating between 30-45 FPS and I'm not too sure why. I tried the project on a friends PC and it again ran perfectly at 60fps so it seems to just be my new laptop at fault.

I updated all drivers, tried putting exceptions in my graphics card settings and even made a new project but the problem still persists. Here are the specs:

kADg4CD.png

a2RGyAH.png

I'm really at a loss of what to do next but I won't lose hope yet. Thank you all for reading! :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is probably best in Tech Support.

I am therefore moving this.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV uses some graphics options, but the main power still comes from the CPU and only a part of the GPU helps (it isn't 3D after all).

That means that background programs that use up CPU cycles have more effect on its speed compared to games using 3D-engines.

Additionally, because MV uses HTML-code on local files some protection programs mistake that for virus access and try to block it, which also can slow things down.

I suggest instead of listing your hardware specs you should list your installed apps and we can check if there is anything known to interfere.

And third there is a possibility of a bad cloudsync - make sure that your project is NOT stored on a cloudsync'ed folder. You can use the cloud for distribution and manual backup (which means backup only if the editor is not running), but not for automatic backup.
And unfortunately Microsoft tries to get you to activate onedrive on your data without telling you about it or about its disadvantages for any program using database-type file access.

Tooi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV uses some graphics options, but the main power still comes from the CPU and only a part of the GPU helps (it isn't 3D after all).

That means that background programs that use up CPU cycles have more effect on its speed compared to games using 3D-engines.

Additionally, because MV uses HTML-code on local files some protection programs mistake that for virus access and try to block it, which also can slow things down.

I suggest instead of listing your hardware specs you should list your installed apps and we can check if there is anything known to interfere.

And third there is a possibility of a bad cloudsync - make sure that your project is NOT stored on a cloudsync'ed folder. You can use the cloud for distribution and manual backup (which means backup only if the editor is not running), but not for automatic backup.
And unfortunately Microsoft tries to get you to activate onedrive on your data without telling you about it or about its disadvantages for any program using database-type file access.

Thank you so much for your reply! For the cloudsync, I made sure to turn that off and remove it as I don't like cloud syncing in general unless I'm manually doing it so it can't be that.

As for the apps, here is a list of my installed apps! I haven't installed many since the laptop is relatively new so maybe it's something that's preinstalled that's giving issues?

WSqprdl.png
2d7mgq2.png
xvTM79E.png

Thanks again!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
none that I know to be problems - although there are some I don't know, and I didn't see any antivirus either?

Tooi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
none that I know to be problems - although there are some I don't know, and I didn't see any antivirus either?

I don't use any antivirus software at the moment. I'm not sure what is causing the framedrops and lag but again the laptop is new so it wouldn't have any installed apps that would be very intrusive I think? :(

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When play testing, try closing console and see if it helps

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Try to open your task manager and see if any program is on high load to your CPU and/or Hard Disk..

I bought a new laptop last month (an i5 8th gen CPU, 1050ti, 4GB RAM) , and the first few days it was way slower than what I expected but realized that it was continuously downloading and installing windows updates (which is probably a lot, and coupled with slow internet it took very long). After those were done, my laptop started running faster.

Also check if your laptop has settings for controlling CPU speed, it might be set to balance mode or slower.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just found out that MZ regional price on Steam in my place is much cheaper than MV.
Our water started to work again, now i don't have to fill up our toilet with water again.
Finally able to return to work after months of lockdown. My poor feet are hurting :( I need to get used to working again haha
My birthday was yesterday and tomorrow marks the day my grandpa died around 5-6 years ago. I think about him a lot, and surprisingly had grown to become interested in programming- something he'd done for a living among other things. Funny how life works. I'm just glad I was able to enjoy yesterday with my immediate family. Anyway- guess who's 9 + 10?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ciifer