RMVX [RSE] Eremidia: Archivist's Curse (d/h Chessmaster's Challenge)

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A game by my bro @richter_h

This is a silly, cute and really tough game; not for the casuals. It's a culmination of the work of various artists--brought to life in a curated world. I've followed this game for a little while, and I was so very happy to have been given the chance to playtest it from early on to its final form.

It combines the great aspects of achievement hunting with rewards of collecting new and awesome characters to customize a party. Each character is unique and has various strengths and weaknesses, so combinations of teams is always an interesting endeavor. Battles are pretty straight forward and interesting, but they can be difficult. Trial and error are the way to go.

The music is great, the art is beautiful and the characters--though they don't say anything--are full of life. The sprites are wonderfully created and each little character is memorable. You'll easily find a favorite, this I promise.

If you haven't tried it, I really suggest you do, you wont be disappointed. If you manage to find a bug--let richter_h know too!

Also--read the bios, because yes. ^_^

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Congrats on finishing this up. I’ve been following this for a while and the growth in each iteration has been fun to play.
I’ll have to give this final build a try :)

A game by my bro @richter_h

This is a silly, cute and really tough game; not for the casuals. It's a culmination of the work of various artists--brought to life in a curated world. I've followed this game for a little while, and I was so very happy to have been given the chance to playtest it from early on to its final form.

It combines the great aspects of achievement hunting with rewards of collecting new and awesome characters to customize a party. Each character is unique and has various strengths and weaknesses, so combinations of teams is always an interesting endeavor. Battles are pretty straight forward and interesting, but they can be difficult. Trial and error are the way to go.

The music is great, the art is beautiful and the characters--though they don't say anything--are full of life. The sprites are wonderfully created and each little character is memorable. You'll easily find a favorite, this I promise.

If you haven't tried it, I really suggest you do, you wont be disappointed. If you manage to find a bug--let richter_h know too!

Also--read the bios, because yes. ^_^

Much appreciated, fellas. It's my pleasure to deliver the best I can make for people especially those outside the circle. And yeah, like @samkfj said, don't hesitate to tell me if you find any bugs in the game.

----

Also, there's another patch has been uploaded. The patch fixes several issues in the latest Chessmaster's Challenge version as well as several changes in enemy encounters, especially in the last room of each Path.

What's new? (note: some changes are undocumented on CHANGELOG)

General
- Fixed Cyclone Drive effect doesn't give any benefits listed in its description

Battle
- Fixed method call error when entering game over screen
- Fixed method call error on victory
- Fixed "counter death" flag doesn't reset after battle ends, resulting in occassional premature death in the next battle
- Fixed Master Staff upgrade effects doesn't affect certain skills at the start of battle

Character
- Fixed Ryuna's Hungry Fist Master Staff upgrade doesn't remove cooldown at first turn

Enemy
- Fifth room encounter in Medium path, second run changed
- Now party will be pitted against Howl and Arphage instead of just Howl
- Fifth room encounters in Hard Path, second and third run changed
- Mary will now appear in Hard path, second run; Abyssal Guards will be removed immediately when battle starts
- Levia will appear in Hard path, third run

You can check the game here >> https://richter-h.itch.io/chessmasters-challenge
Hope you like Chessmaster's Challenge. Also, if you're interested, join our discord server: https://discord.gg/u2EU9BT

And that's all for now. Cheers~

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
A new patch for Chessmaster's Challenge v1.7 is now here.

bq3kHS.png

This patch fixes several issues in the latest Chessmaster's Challenge as well as some rebalances over playable characters and enemies alike. Also, in this patch, several items got reworked to give player a little more boost in combat.

likeaboss.gif

What's new?

- Black Tonic now fully heals target
- Health Stone and Ether Stone now heals more HP/MP when consumed
- Grace Amulet now heals more when used
- Buckler, Just Shield and Miller Shield now blocks more damage in much better chance
- Stat-booster equips now grant more stat bonuses

- Fixed crash when trying to using scrolls in battle
- Fixed summoned unit turn doesn't shifted properly
- Fixed overlapping state animation on several state inflicts

- Fixed speed stat is based on base Agility instead of total Agility
- Fixed crash when Ithelden, El Rufa and Terra Verde use activable equipments

- Reworked Andy and Howl's skills
- Several damage-related balances over characters i.e. Ronald, Rachel
- Fixed bug that caused by Theo's Fatal Bond and several AoE abilities

- Bosses now have 25% damage resistance by default (previously 10%)
- Fixed Bosses' speed bonus accidentally multiplied

Check CHANGELOG for more info.

Along with this patch note, there will be an event held in Crescent Sun server: Chessboard Reckoning. It's a contest where players must score as much points as possible in the Hall of Pawnsmoor. Rules, scoring criteria, and prizes are still undisclosed by now, but we will pick three winners for this event. Stay tuned for more info about the event!

You can check the game here >> https://richter-h.itch.io/chessmasters-challenge
Hope you like Chessmaster's Challenge. Also, if you're interested, join our discord server: https://discord.gg/u2EU9BT

That's all for now.
Hope you like Chessmaster's Challenge. Cheers~

8bitBartabas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've still gotta play this new patch, but I can say if it's even better than the previous version I played, I'm really excited!

For anyone who hasn't played it, check it out it's really fun. Don't get discouraged at the start because it's a challenge, but once you get the hang of it, it's a really fun game.

Chuck4688

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This game is very inspiring. I would really like to know how to make those menus. They looked great! Thanks for this @richter_h !! Will definitely play this!

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've still gotta play this new patch, but I can say if it's even better than the previous version I played, I'm really excited!

For anyone who hasn't played it, check it out it's really fun. Don't get discouraged at the start because it's a challenge, but once you get the hang of it, it's a really fun game.

Much appreciated for your kind words, Bart.

This game is very inspiring. I would really like to know how to make those menus. They looked great! Thanks for this @richter_h !! Will definitely play this!

The menus are mostly custom-made, and since I had to tailor some of those with existing features, I'd say there are a lot of works to get it done, let alone working flawlessly. You're welcome, man.

---------

And now, a little update.

Yes, I've broken my own oath but please bear with me for a moment.
The latest patch for Chessmaster's Challenge is now up and ready to download.

What's new?
  • Skills and spells now can deal critical damage
  • Fixed barrier-type spells (i.e. Almashield Omega) still bypasses damage
  • Fixed critical damage popups for certain crit-based abilities
  • Fixed issues around invisibility-related abilities (i.e. Wind Walk, Dead Ringer)
  • Skills and spells now can be amplified by INT
    • 2% spell amplification boost per 1 INT point
    • Enemies don't benefit this perk
  • Updated character arts of Aluna, Laila, Ningrum and Tyas
  • Reworked Nella (both Nella and Dark Nella), Selvanias, Tyas, Trance, McGraves, and Charon
  • Several minor tweaks over the rest of roster

If you have downloaded the game before, you can grab the patch and apply it to the game folder directly.

As always, you can grab the game here >> https://richter-h.itch.io/chessmasters-challenge

This wraps up the entire Chessmaster's Challenge development for this year.
And before I forgot, since 2020 is now around the corner, I gotta say happy holidays for everyone in this server. Have a good one!

Cheers~

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played your game. There's a game breaking bug at the end of the video.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I played your game. There's a game breaking bug at the end of the video.

Woke up in the morning to see a notification on my phone. Watched it and I've made a reply to the video as well.
And for the gamebreaking bug, I've taken note of that, and I'll include the fix in an update that will be available soon.

Thank you very much for playing it. Cheers!

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If this game had a rating, what do you think it would be?

Does this game have anything inappropriate?

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lilly From what I've seen, E For Everyone. There's no profanity or nudity. I haven't seen any drug use or gambling either. The only thing might be the violence but it's Cartoon Violence and only takes place during combat. Just your standard RPG video game violence.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
6gqJxB.png

It's been a year since the last update, huh.

Anyway, there are some stuff to be told about this project.

First of all, Project Dungeon has come so far to the point it becomes more of an arcade-like turn-based game and less of a narrative RPG. I admit it, it's not only because I'm not good at writing; it's too taxing for me to write an elaborate, cohesive story that can stick around in the project I'm working on.
Also, I'm more excited about working on game mechanics than writing down a story. Yes, I can write some bits of lore around, but not on an epic scale.

That said, I preferred it this way, and it's already proven since 2018 when v1.6 came out. And this is the exact reason why I wrote this devlog: to tell you about its current state, despite the lack of updates and/or information outside Crescent Sun discord server.

Yes, v1.8 is in the making, and it has a lot of new stuff. Like, a lot of it.

KuEw94.png

In the latest version of Chessmaster's Challenge, the game starts with a simple premise: you are given four characters, then you enter three avenues, each comprises five rooms where you meet your opponent to take on, and once you cleared all of the three avenues, you're free to challenge the Chessmaster in the finale.
Oh, you're given more options along your journey with up to 60 unlockable characters.

In the next version, however, it's gonna have a little change of course. You'll be pitted in the Hall of Pawnsmoor like in the previous version, and you'll make your way out of it with characters you get and/or unlock as you make progress. However, it has a twist now:

Introducing, Dark Alley.

mo7KQp.png

Instead of ramming through five rooms within three avenues, now you can find access to the "inner side" of the Library called "Dark Alley". Basically, it's a series of nodes and lines representing rooms where you can navigate through, like a dungeon.

Stuff within the rooms are your reason to explore those murky places: parchments and gemstones, aside from collecting EXP points for your party members. Those items are essential for your characters--we'll come to that later. In the Dark Alley, hazards are lurking around and might greet you in one of the nodes, either normally or by surprise. This is where Curio Level comes into play, as it determines the number of loots you can find in the alley as well as the level of enemies you may encounter.

And of course, it won't be just regular mobs you'll find in the alleys.

y5R6Ki.png

Some new bosses make their appearances in the Dark Alley (like that castle above) as well as some recurring ones. Replacing the usual Book Creatures, they're usually stationed in boss nodes in higher-level Alleys, packing heat and challenges for whoever stumbled upon their domains. They hold valuable drops necessary for your upcoming progress as well as for your party members' benefits, but in order to get those, you need to take them down fast and efficiently.

Once you take down either Book Creatures or one of the bosses, expect an increase of the Alley's Curio Level.

hZN7ym.png

Curio Level is basically the level, depth, or floor of the Alley. Nothing too special about it besides a couple of things that get affected by on what level you're currently in.

Starting at level 1, it determines the difficulty level of the alley you're in, as well as the quality of items you can find in treasure nodes and enemies, may drop when they're defeated. It can go up (by winning the battle in one of the boss nodes) or down (by losing in any encounters). In higher levels, high-quality parchments and gemstones drop more often but enemies are tougher.

And of course, the exploration is limited by Exploration Point (a.k.a. EP), so if you somehow run out of EP, you will be forced back to the Hall. Your progress will be saved, so don't worry if you somehow managed to reach a certain corner of the alley.

E97XZn.png

Now you might wonder: What the parchments and gemstones are used for? Well, it's for two things you may need to take on the challenges in high-level alleys as well as the main show: crafting, and promotion.

20JSwC.png

Now, instead of getting rare equipment from either Well of Fortune or random chests, you need to craft them. By talking to Ruby, you can craft equipment for your party members, which are generally having distinct effects compared to those found in random chests or on sale in the shop. The requirements to make one is available in the Dark Alley, which may or may not be your reason to get into there.

This feature was introduced back in v1.5 but shelved due to how the game handles loots at the beginning of v1.6. And today, crafting makes its appearance back as both a material sink and a proper way to improve your party members' stats and perks.

XQB95f.png

Unlike the latest version, now the companions start at their lowest and need to be promoted in order to unlock their fullest potentials--including their ultimate abilities. In this case, you'll need the gemstones and other materials for promotional purposes. This is the reason or one of the reasons to delve into the Dark Alley.
It's yet another service Ruby will offer alongside crafting equipment. Can't miss it.

While most companions are alright at their base value, promotion is necessary to crank up their capabilities to eleven, making them still relevant--if not better--in higher Alley levels and the later rounds of Chessmaster matches. So make sure to give them the upgrade gift whenever possible.

We've talked a lot about the Dark Alley and some other good stuff related to it. Now, how about the Chessmaster's Challenge itself?
Well, of course, it's changed as well. Instead of just winning one finale match, now it's rearranged into a series of match you can take on.

Nw88x5.png

In a short description, now you're really playing against him in a 10-rounds match set. Even now it's possible to take the first round from get-away with the first characters you've got at the beginning of the game, too.
This change of direction is based on the aspects I've mentioned before, and besides, in this game, he's the real deal, so it's appropriate to make his match matters.

HoWqHc.png

Everytime you win a match, you will be rewarded with stuff that cannot be found either in Dark Alley or in the shops, including new crafting recipes. Some equipment is really powerful, costs a bit more of materials, and generally useful depending on your lineups or playstyle.

And by the way, here's some footage of some new and already implemented features described above.

For now, the endgame is still in the making--the possibilities for what determines the end of the game are still open, but I'll leave it that way till the end of the year.

Actually, there are some more things to show here but apparently most of those are clips that too big to be included in this devlog and too small to be uploaded in YouTube, so... yeah. You can check it out more in the discord server; in fact, most devlog stuff are posted there almost weekly, so if you want to keep in touch with this project's development, you can join into the server.

If you want to give it a try, you can DM me for an access to the build, or you can join Crescent Sun discord server for more info about the upcoming version of Chessmaster's Challenge.

That's all from me for now. Cheers!

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
A lil bump since we're close to the next "stable" build where another game mode is making its way into the project: Tutorial mode.
Here's a clip of what it has to offer.

Might as well make the new version of the game to be RSE material, idk.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This takes me back. Almost like nostalgia playing these eremidia games. Keep up the solid work!
Also I gotta say the thumbnail girl is a real cutie.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
This takes me back. Almost like nostalgia playing these eremidia games. Keep up the solid work!
Also I gotta say the thumbnail girl is a real cutie.
Much appreciated!

The game has changed a lot over the years. For now I'm doing my best on the writing since I've got a handful of feedback around it (spoiler: currently it's beyond saving. Could have some help on this part), and I've got some backlog alongside the bugs/glitches people have told me these couple of months.

As for the girl, she's the one you'll see often in the 1.8 build. One of my finest works, I'd say.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello again.

So, after taking several tests, the game is now available to download.
The game is an improvement of its predecessor (namely, back when it was Chessmaster's Challenge), with additional contents, several QoL stuff, and a streamlined storyline. Some of the major improvements are:
  • Two game modes: Chessmaster's Match, where the player must win at least 10 matches against the Chessmaster; and Dark Alley, where the player can unlock more companions and gather materials for crafting gears as well as promoting the existing companions;
  • Tutorial mode, which is separated from the main game--consider it as the "virtual reality" level;
  • It's now possible to choose Dark Alley levels;
  • The reintroduction of the Crafting feature as well as the new Promotion feature;
  • Improved inventory management with "Take All" option and Shared Stash;
  • The introduction of regional bosses in Dark Alley exploration mode; and
  • Several bug fixes addressed in both previous versions and the v1.8 closed beta version.

To download the game, you can grab it here https://richter-h.itch.io/project-chessmaster

It was a blast working on the new version of this dragged-out project, no cap. From this point, I'm thinking of adding the postponed contents for the game as well as adding some more game modes. If you have suggestions, critics, or feedback for the game, let me know by posting a reply on this thread.

That's all for now. Cheers!

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
A new build for Archivist's Curse v1.8 is now available for download!

This build is a continuation as well as several fixes addressed mostly to Dark Alley and battle-related stuff.
What's new?
  • A brand-new way to unlock artifacts (now it works alongside Curio Level update, which means the only way to get the recipe is to clear a Dark Alley level);
  • Dark Alley maps, except the neutral one, now have map rotations. The side effect of this is now the map progress will be wiped out once leaving the map;
  • Strange Shard now no longer gives negative buff on party members;
  • Chessmaster Match now grants reward on win condition;
  • QoL stuff around inventory system;
  • Reworked "delay" mechanism on the battle;
  • Added some boss-related achievements;
  • Several rebalances around playable characters and enemies; and
  • Several minor bug fixes.

Check CHANGELOG for more info.

To download the game, click here.

Note that the game's current build is not 100% error-proof. Some aspects of the game may not work properly; don't hesitate to reach me if you find any bugs/glitches when playing Archivist's Curse v1.8.

Also, old savefiles from RC1 build ((might)) work on RC2, although it's much advisable to start over a new game instead.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bump for an update which was pushed a week ago but somehow I forgot to post it here as well.
This update marks the finalization of Archivist's Curse version 1.8.0.

What's new?
  • Random bosses now start appearing from Level 2 instead of Level 3
  • Several minor fixes
From this point, the development will be focused more on the contents as well as a new game mode which has been planned since last year. Future contents will also include some more levels, unlockables, and perhaps a more solid endgame scenario for players to test their party lineups and builds.

As for the story, there are some leads in the game that involves Ruby as well as some "survivors" which we'll come back to that later. Stay tuned for more information about the aforementioned contents.

To download the game, click here.

Note that the game's current build is not 100% error-proof. Some aspects of the game may not work properly; don't hesitate to reach me if you find any bugs/glitches when playing Archivist's Curse v1.8.

Also, old savefiles from RC1 and RC2 build ((might)) work on this version, although it's much advisable to start over a new game instead.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a case. Get all the evidence to prosecute some bad guys. :kaojoy:
But, the game development schedule delayed. :kaoswt2:
The moral of the story: No good deed goes unpunished... I guess...
Except that, nothing to see here. :kaoswt2:
just beat ff7 original for the first time since 2010. having played remake last year, I have a much better appreciation for the original oddly enough. I still like some of the character presentation in remake more, but the original's got a lot going for it.
Ever reach that moment in your life when your juggling a dozen or more projects that you know will never be made but don't have the heart to delete them? Ugh, I hate those moments...
:kaosigh: Why must you hurt me so?
my main character isn't the warrior of light or the chosen one, he's a self righteous, invasive try hard who gets ahead of himself and makes a critical error, resulting in a downward moral spiral that, eventually, leads him to truths that make him a better man, and im DAMN proud of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tocurse