RSSBSACE: Reedo's Simple Side Battle System Ace Edition

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by Reedo, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Hiek

Hiek Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Last time I heard, Yanfly's visual battlers had problems, I did have a thread where I made some fixes, but then people found other problems.

I don't think Yanfly's battlers would be a good choice, unless he updated it without me knowing from the passed month or 2.

But if you want, here is my fix.

YEA | Visual Battlers - Addon + Fix

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    What problems? I don't have problems with it... at least nothing game breaking...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  3. Hiek

Hiek Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    People have said something about attack animations, and also this

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    That's normal since your sprite doesn't have a down animation since visual battlers use the default spritesheets...

Well, it does have its limitations coz it was meant to only provide actor battlers, nothing else... Which is why I only suggest it if you only need the battlers themselves... 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  5. BeardBro

BeardBro I think this line's mostly filler. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @adiktuzmiko:

Yes, I could use Yanfly's visual battlers instead, and I will end up doing so if need be. However, I mentioned the glitch simply because it would be a shame if that tiny issue was the only roadblock preventing the two scripts from working together cooperatively. I'd make a patch myself, but I'm pretty green when it comes to RGSS3.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    well, just wait until the glitch is fixed... 

7. Megablackdragon31

Megablackdragon31 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Nice update Reedo.

I recommend this script,if you want a easy to use battle system...

You can use kread ex animated battlers if you want something more advanced... But Kread ex is not active lately,so you must wait if support is needed. Yanfly is inactive since 2012,so I doubt  that visual battler is updated at least for now...

All we can do is wait,they have lives after all.

Excuse me for my bad English and greetings from Argentina.

PD: Battle Symphony is another good option,but i hate that moonwalking...

For example,even if the character is petrified or parallized,it continues moving.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  8. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hiya Mac,

Do you have a link to the version of the Yanfly script that you are using?

Also, how would you like to see this issue resolved?  Only have the RSSBS attack animations, or only the Yanfly animations?  I'm sure I can disable my own; I can probably disable her's as well.

I still have to work out a solution for ranged weapons and weapons that don't swing (like fists) so I can probably address this issue while I'm at it.

9. BeardBro

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here you go.

As a designer, I think it would be confusing to have animations occur on enemy battlers but not player battlers. If you could disable Yanfly's attack animation, that would be perfect. Also, whenever I attempt to escape from battle but fail, the battle scene freezes and is unresponsive. The bug does not occur when 'Escape' is successful.

Thanks, Reedo!

Reedo likes this.
  10. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well if ya dad'gum chickens would stand and fight we wouldn't have any issues!

Ha!  Kidding!!

Thanks for the heads up - I'll see if I can figure out what I screwed up on the escape failure. 

I've got a change in place to allow for weapons to do a "punching" motion (move toward the enemy, then away) or to pulse like items/skills, or to just display without any motion.  I'll take a look at Miss Yanfly's script and see if I can incorporate a fix there as well.  Finally I'll try to track down this escape failure bug.

Guess I'm a little further out on the next update than I thought.  :p

11. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well that wasn't as bad as I thought.  The 1.7 update is posted.  :)

@Macatlas,

Thanks so much for the contributions!  It turns out that the Yanfly fix was something I should have been doing anyway.  It doesn't really matter that the problem showed up with Yanfly's script because I had already redirected the animation so should only have passed on any that I did not redirect (basically the enemies) to the base method (e.g. Yanfly's script).  But the cool part about it showing up in Yanfly's script is that now the two are confirmed compatible!  Yay!  :)

Also the escape bug was something stupid that I did - or failed to do... LOL the game engine was expecting a return value (of false) and I forgot to provide one so it hung on nil.

Not sure where'bouts in MO you are, but I get to SF now and then (not that far really) so I'll gladly buy you a beer if you're in the neighborhood hahaha!  :D

BeardBro likes this.
  12. Captain dundun dun dundun

Captain dundun dun dundun Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ha Ha this is great! Thank you Mr. Reedo!

Reedo likes this.
  13. BeardBro

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Reedo:

Thank ye' kindly! I'll be using this script a lot in the days to come!

SF? You Arkansians and your lingo... haha. Anyways, no problem, I'm glad I could help. I may take you up on that offer sometime! 

Reedo likes this.
  14. xDrahcir

xDrahcir Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Im having a problem with it's compatibility to the Yanfly Victory Aftermath script.

I get this error only when your battle script is in:

Script 'Yanfly Victory After' line 442: TypeError occurred.

no marshal_dump is defined for class Sprite_Base

I've placed it above and below, checked the settings, and I don't know how to fix it :(

Would I have to post this error on the victory aftermath script, too?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  15. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for catching this one.  There is nothing you could have done to prevent it.  Miss Yanfly needed a deep-copy of the actor for her level up scene and would have no way of knowing that I had stuck a Game_Character instance on there.  I've added a bit of code to temporarily remove the Game_Character instance while her script needs to make the deep-copy, and then I put them back.  In retrospect as I write this, I might could have (*sigh* been here too long...) just modified the accessibility of my Game_Character variable but that would then take other refactoring as well.  Maybe I'll still do it later, but this solution works fine for now.

Anyway, version 1.7a has been posted and contains the fix for this.  Thanks again!

16. xDrahcir

xDrahcir Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    K, it works now.  Thanks for the fix :D

17. comprisedpuma

comprisedpuma Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Reedo, I have 1.7a for my game and I get an error when I command my actors to attack without a weapon equipped.

Script 'RSSBSACE' line 551: NoMethodError occurred.undefined method `icon_index' for nil:NilClassEdit:  Is there a way I can make the "punch" animation go further?  I use it for my "orb" weapons and I would like for it to seem like the orb flies very far before coming back.

Edit 2:  Is it possible to make the actors wait until spell animations are complete before moving back into their position?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  18. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Good catch on the bug, thank you.  Version 1.7b has been posted with this fix for this.  There are now two more options to specify the icon to use when there is no weapon equipped as well as the style of the icon motion.

I'll see about adding more options to modify the punch distance.  The problem is that you don't have much time before the action is over (especially if using YEA which speeds up some of the battle process).  So if you try to go too far, you may not come back.

I'll also see about adding options for the actor layout.  I was initially just trying to cut down on the number of options, but I can add those back in easily enough I suppose.

For now, you can go to line 458 & 459:

gc.reedo_action_sprite.x += (gc.reedo_action_sprite_increment * 0.4)

And change the 0.4 to a higher number (0.5 or 0.6) to make the icon go faster.  Then go to the next line:

gc.reedo_action_sprite_increment *= -1 if (gc.reedo_action_sprite.x < gc.reedo_shadow_sprite.x - 32) || (gc.reedo_action_sprite.x > gc.reedo_shadow_sprite.x)

And change the gc.reedo_shadow_sprite.x - 32 to a number bigger than 32, like 48.  That will make the icon go further.

As for the actor layout, first change the ACTOR_START_LEFT at the top of the options to something like 12.  Then go to line 315:

left += REEDO_SBS::ACTOR_STAGGER_HORZ if i % 2 == 0

And change it to:

left += REEDO_SBS::ACTOR_STAGGER_HORZ * i

That should give you roughly the layout you're looking for.

19. comprisedpuma

comprisedpuma Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yes, thank you Reedo.  I was able to mess around with the script a little bit and get the two fixes I desired in terms of icon/actor placement.  I will insert the fix for 1.7b to make it not crash when no weapons are equipped.  Is it possible for you to tell me which lines exactly have changed?  I've made my own personal alterations to some of the code and it would be nice to not have to do them all over again.  If it is scattered all over the place then I will just bear with it and do it again :)

What about getting actors to "wait" for animations to complete before moving back into the line?  I tried placing the "wait_for_animation" method in a few spots in the code (specifically before the lines that tell them to move back into place, and also in between the two if statements that determine if the actor is NOT guarding) with no luck.

Perhaps this is a Yanfly issue?

20. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, first, I realized as I made the last post that explaining how to make the mod was more work than actually doing it :headshake:    So I've done it. :p

I'll post the update here in a sec (going to keep the same version number and consider it part of today's update).  Its just a couple new option variables for the values mentioned above.

If you have more changes than that, here's where the bug fix is at:

def execute_action (should be around line 550)

iconidx = -1 if @subject.current_action.item.is_a?(RPG::Skill) if @subject.current_action.item.id == REEDO_SBS::ATTACK_SKILL_ID iconidx = @subject.weapons[0].icon_index if @subject.weapons[0] iconidx = REEDO_SBS::UNARMED_ICON if iconidx < 0 if iconidx == REEDO_SBS::UNARMED_ICON gc.reedo_action_style = REEDO_SBS::UNARMED_STYLE elsif REEDO_SBS::NO_MOVE_WEAPON_TYPES.include?(@subject.weapons[0].wtype_id) gc.reedo_action_style = 3 #noneSo you are going to change the starting value of iconidx from 0 to -1.  You'll add the extra checks for setting iconidx.  You'll add a new statement to the If block.  Then just make sure you go up to the options and add those new UNARMED_ option variables.

NOTICE TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS

The above change is already in the script.  You do not need to do this yourself.  This info is only for comprisedpuma's particular case.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013