RSSBSACE: Reedo's Simple Side Battle System Ace Edition

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by Reedo, Sep 17, 2013.

1. composite.event

composite.event Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Apologies for how little I know about scripting. I was hoping to find the answer to the current issue that I'm having.

Your script is amazing, and is exactly what I was looking for. However: I am coming across an error message in

line 618 which exits me out of my playtest as soon as it occurs.

The scenario is such that during the battle, once the main character's HP becomes 60% or less, an additional

character will join the fray to protect him, and they then-- ideally-- defeat the foe together. 

However, when that moment comes, and the protector attempts to join the battle, what happens is this:

The dialogue comes up fine, the battle seems ready to progress, but the sprite for the newly-arrived character

doesn't show up at all. The sprite for the character who has been there since the beginning of the battle is there,

but the new character doesn't show up-- although her name appears on the party list. I can attack with the original

character, but trying to attack with the new character causes the error message:

Script RSSBSACE line 618 : NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'x' for nil:NilClass

Currently, the only other script I'm running is SoulPour777's Game Over screen, which asks whether one wants

to quit or continue, so I don't think it's a negative interaction between the two. 

Thank you for any assistance anyone might be able to provide. I recognize that there are limitations, especially

since I am not a coder of any kind, and if I need to rework my scene I understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Torqus

Torqus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is the best sideview system I've seen yet, simple and beautiful.

An option to flip battlers and enemies would be nice (I prefer player on the left and enemy on the right).

But the main improvement would be popups appearing on top of the characters just like happens to enemies.

3. Awesomeguy2561

Awesomeguy2561 Awesome Member

First Language:
    English
    Screenshot 2015-10-21 18.22.12.png

I got this error message, I didn't do anything to the script. 

Help?

4. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Where did you place it, it should be above all other custom scripts unless you have hud adjustments, in that case it goes under those ones.

5. Awesomeguy2561

First Language:
    English
    Now i put it above all my scripts but I still got the same error message.

6. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Did you start a new save file after inserting the script? 

7. Awesomeguy2561

First Language:
    English
    Yea, I started a new game and now it works thanks!

8. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No problem, just remember every time you insert a new script you need to start a new save to make everything work properly.

9. bearsona

bearsona Warper Member

When I copy and paste the code from this topic to VX ace it pastes it all as one giant line...so the script doesnt work properly -_-''

Anyone know why this might be happening or is it just because of how he provided the script? thanks

Here's an example of whats going on when i try to plug and play the script, as you can see its only creating ONE line in VX ace ...is this is a windows 10 thing or because its in a quote weirdly spaced? hope someone can help thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    rdvid likes this.
  10. ZionSairin

ZionSairin Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Out of curiosity, is there a way to just get one clean swing? I feel like my character looks rather silly waving his sword around randomly in a serious setting.

11. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I apologize but I was unable to get a working VX ACE environment going so I can't do much to test any edits to the script.  It's also been a while since I've worked with any Ruby and probably won't use it much anymore.  If I get any time to play with RPG Maker it will most likely be spent converting some of my other scripts to JavaScript for MV (this script is no longer useful in MV but some of the others are).

You should be able to get past this issue though with a simple code edit... just test for nil on line 585 and skip the following code if there is no reedo_guard value.  I suspect you've just run into my override for default guard behavior and it is failing when there is no guard action available.  Skipping the code which cares about the guard action should be safe to do (shouldn't have unintended consequences) and should resolve the error.

12. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English

Not sure if you still need help on this since it was so long ago, but I would need to know the means by which you cause a new actor to join the battle.  If there is no script involved then I guess it is an event configuration of some sort?  The problem likely lies in the fact that the battle scene is setup at the beginning of battle so there is some initialization that would have to take place for a character to join mid-battle.  There should be a loop in the script's battle initialization that goes through the party actors and creates the battler sprites.  You would need to duplicate the functionality in that loop for the character that is joining the fight mid-battle.

13. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, I'm sure this is a fairly simple code edit... I don't remember if I swing a number of times or for a duration but it should be possible to shorten the swing time or number of swings.  When they fix the forums I'll try looking at the code and see if I can point you toward the line to edit.

14. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Can someone explain what I need to add or change to implement this exactly, sorry know next to nothing when it comes to this stuff and its for a project I've invested a great deal of time into.

15. Reedo

Reedo Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hopefully the code formatting issues on this forum will be fixed in a few days.  When that happens I'll see if I can issue a fix for this.

Vox Novus likes this.
  16. Limit-Breaker13

Limit-Breaker13 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I got this error upon trying to start a fight, can someone please tell me how to fix this, thanks.

Error.PNG

17. OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice Warper Member

Hi everybody, hope you're having a fine day.
    I know it's been a while since this topic was created but I just got back to playing around with RPGm VxAce and found your script, wich is amazing by the way.
    It works just fine but I have one question to ask : is there any possibility to change the appareance of the players ?
    I've created some custom battlers for my characters (see picture) and I'd like to use them into your script instead of the inmap characters

I just can't find a way to make the script to use these battlers images instead of the moving characters.

Thanks all for your help and have a great day !

battlers.gif

18. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    I really want to adjust the distance between the individual sprites, and their locations etc on the battle screen - which part of the script do I modify to do this?

I'm using some rather large sprites, and they're essentially standing on top of each-other now, so I'd like to fix that.

19. rdvid

rdvid Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Hi, I am new into this, I am searching for a simple side view battle, and yours seems to work fine, but I cant make it work on my game, it is supposed that I just copy-paste it from here? Or what I do I have to do? I hope you can help me. Because I am about to desert this game. My problem is the same as someone from above, I copy the script but it only appears as a massive line and everything is in green, thus not reading it as ti should. Can you provide some help please?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2016
  20. rdvid

rdvid Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    I have the ame problem as you. Did you find  way to overcome the problem?