RTP Edit: Realistic World Map Tiles

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX/Ace Resources' started by Evan G., Mar 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Evan G.

Evan G. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    "Farewell, Boxland"

[​IMG]

I was a little disappointed with Ace's lack of non-boxy world map tiles, so I made my own. It's just an RTP edit and it probably should've been included in Ace from the start, so you don't need to credit me for using it.

The three files are:

(A1 Round Redo) - Edited water. Replace (Animation) with it in your Field tileset.

(A2 Round Redo) - Edited land. Replace (Ground) with it in your Field tileset.

(Round Straight Sections) - Layer 2 parts for smoothing out your land. Use these as page C, D, or E in your Field tileset.

The files are attached at the bottom of the post. All three are necessary to achieve the full effect of the tileset.

Known Issues

*Some island tiles (molten rock, crater, beige stone) aren't complete yet, but they should be easy to do. Desert is just missing smoothing tiles.*

*The mini-island tiles have a small piece of their shore embedded in the land tiles. This can be fixed by placing the adjacent grass tiles over them.*

*You can't combine different land types yet. I plan to fix this eventually.*

A1 Round Redo.png

A2 Round Redo.png

Round Straight Sections.png

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Strawberrycat24

Strawberrycat24 Yummy Kitty Member

First Language:
    English
    These are really good I especially like the effect they have on mapping. reminds me of the tales of series games...very smooth.

3. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Excellent job there, lemon, and I agree that this is something that should have been done in Ace. This will definitely come in hand in making a better style of world maps.

4. arcana23

arcana23 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you! I will use them! :lol:

5. Shin

Shin Veteran Veteran

Hmmm... I don't know... I kind like the squarish look of the RTP.

But the thing with what you did it there is that A1 is animated, but A2 is not. By putting round tiles of land on the A2, you had to complete its conners with water but a unanimated one.

IMO, this makes the set look weird when combined on a map. The result being that most of the water is animated but the conners around the land is not...

I tried something like that on VX (not Ace), but for a better result I had to put the tiles of land with animated corners on A1. It worked, but I used up most of the A1 and on VX you had to be careful with tile space usage, so I droped the idea.

There is a game on rpgmakervx.net that used some similar idea, it's Adela Isra by StormriderAngel.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  6. usiel

usiel Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    These are very beautiful so far. I hope the rest gets completed. I'll definately book mark this on the updates.

7. Zio

Zio Weekend Warrior Member

First Language:
    English
    Nice work,

May I ask you or anyone in this post a simple question on creating world map tiles? on your A1 tile set for the world map, what are the sizes for the different objects? guess what I am asking is to create an A1 tile set do the objects need to be any particular size? Or maybe someone can point me towards a tutorial on creating your own stuff?

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, they need to be a particular size. Look in the help file - it's all written out very clearly there, including how the different tiles behave when you use them and mix them together.

Specifically, in the Contents, go to RPG Maker VX Ace, Reference Material, Resource Standards, and then Tilesets.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  9. Zio

Zio Weekend Warrior Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the information Shaz but I am using Rpg maker VX, and when you say contents do you mean the game folder or on the website? because the website information I did not find very helpful.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :) Read my post again, which you quoted. I said "look in the help file ... specifically, in the Contents ...". Ace and VX have similar contents in the help file, so follow the same navigation.

(However, next time you have a specific question, you should open your own thread, and make it clear that you're using VX rather than Ace, because sometimes the answer will be different)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  11. dread

dread Warper Member

First Language:
    Engrish
    i personally am having an issue with this tile set. a "read me" or tutorial on how to use the tiles to create various effects would be appreciated for any future questions that may arise such as curving the land and making it flat as desired. again this is just an issue im having i dont know if anyone else is so feel free to bash me point out obvious fixes etc. i dont mind it

12. Evan G.

Evan G. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Your Tileset configuration should look like this:

[​IMG]

Also, you have to download all three of the files in the header post.

13. dread

dread Warper Member

First Language:
    Engrish
    i have all three sets and i have set up a different tile set my issue is curving the land as needed and placing the mountains and trees and so on on top of the land. when i try to do that the land disappears or is cut up instead of running along smoothly.

Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  14. Joporai124

Joporai124 Son of Ifrit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    looking good dude might use them.

15. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I didn't like the blocky feeling either. Im glad you edited them Evan.

16. Akiyama Midori

Akiyama Midori Currently working on final Last Bloodline - Demo 3 Member

Oh God! How beautiful!!

After apply this to my in progress game (For the Demo 2) all are mess up! But I fix them all and now, it's looks better and less square.

This is what I wanted!

-REMOVED-

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  17. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uhmm? What? One single post and you post your game's demo... in a resource thread?

18. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Akiyama Midori

If you want to shill your game, make a project thread

19. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Amazing in the never ending conquest to try and make maps in RMVX/Ace not look blocky! I love to see if you are able to apply this technique with other automap tiles. Great work! :)

20. Healey1991

Healey1991 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    This is so good! I almost forsake the World Map in my game because of the boxy-ness of the original, lol