RTP Editing - Make a Diagonally Facing Sprite

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
How to make diagonally facing character sprites, an RTP graphic editing tutorial, translated by Slimmmeiske2

Original Tutorial: http://foryou.opal.ne.jp/sfog/dotcharaquart.html

Pixel Art: Creating a simple diagonal sprite

To make a diagonal sprite, we’ll be cut and pasting sprites from a 4 direction sheet.

Using the facing left sprite and the facing down sprite, we’ll make one who’ll face down to the left.

Arrangement:

• Reduce the facing down’s width to half and cut out that half.
  • In case there’s no reduction fuction, it’s 2/5(12 or 13 pixels)from the right.
  • Take 3/5 from the left facing’s right(max. 20 pixels)and combine it with the facing down part.
  • Combine the facing down’s left hair part with the facing left’s right hair part.
  • Now place this combined hair on the body we combined earlier.
  • Shift the ears and eyes 2, 3 pixels.
  • Adjust the outline.
  • Shift the whole a bit to the right.
  • Complete!
Points to look it more diagonal:
  • The forehead in the facing down one is 5 pixels, diagonal it should be 4.
  • The ear should be between the facing down and facing left a bit to the left.
  • It’s easier if the left and right eye are at the same height.
  • If you darken the inner part of the right arm, you’ll get depth.
  • If you move the right arm and left arm 1 pixel up, it gives a depth of diagonal.
Conclusion:
And with this we end the tutorial. (Sorry for the abrupt end.) But you can do this in a short time period (around 3 minutes).

When you’re used to reducing and finding the right balance, you can exclude some other stuff and finish even in a shorter time period.

With such small scale pixel art, cut and pasting can help gaining time, which is a good thing.

Even if your game does not use 8 dimensional movement, the slanting sprites can create a stage like atmosphere.

ookami_lord

Best Lemon in the world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you grandmadeb!!

It was really helpful!

I'll use it! :)

The_Renegade_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Absolutely a great tutorial, it does take some time to get used to the process. This was my third and first successful try.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Masterofhearts - post some more of your goodies, so we can be impressed with you!

That one looks great! =]

lol, and know the tut works, too! =]

@Everyone, so glad it helps. OF course I did not write it, but as a budding GIMP image editor, I appreciate a good image editing tut, and couldn't resist sharing this with everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Nice to know it works indeed. :p

I never had the time to try it out, when I was translating this. ^^;

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never know if this work well with the kaduki charset..because they are not build in the same way so I doubt a little if this will give a good effect...

FeliPereira97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(sorry for reviving this thread)
Is it possible to make a program apply this pattern?

sorry, I just saw the warning about necro-posting in a thread. Please, ignore this comment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdramose