RMMV RTP v3.0: Passive Skills! (Also out for mobile!)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RTP is a short, fast-paced RPG, with a heavy focus on battle encounters that forces players to think about their every move.

Recruit two Heroes at the start of the game that will help you beat the big, bad monsters! With nine different, playable classes, all with their own unique skill sets and specialties, multiple playthroughs are encouraged!

Battle against the forces of evil that invaded your hometown! But don't get over confident, as even the weakest of enemies are able to take big chunks of your life if you aren't careful! Use your skills wisely and manage your resources correctly, and you shall emerge victorious!

Random Hero selection and starting location at the beginning of every new game allow you, the player, to create your own story! No pesky dialogue boxes or long, drawn out cutscenes to slow you down!

Defeat the evil monsters, and ultimately, their all-powerful overlord to win the game and rescue the people! However, beating just the big boss is not the final challenge of the game! Can you achieve the fabled 11 star score at the end of the game by completing all the achievements in a single run!?

DOWNLOAD for WINDOWS
https://rpgmaker.net/games/9277/downloads/8581/
Current version: v3.01 (2018, March, 17)

DOWNLOAD for Mac OS X
https://rpgmaker.net/games/9277/downloads/8601/

DOWNLOAD for ANDROID
https://rpgmaker.net/games/9277/downloads/9290/

FEATURES
  • A short RPG that can be finished within 30 minutes.
  • 9 different playable Heroes.
  • Semi-randomised starting locations and maps.
  • Fast-paced, challenging turn-based combat.
  • A built-in achievement and scoring system.
  • 4 different final bosses.

CLASSES:
Warrior: The Warrior is a simple and beginner's-friendly Hero to play as. His playstyle largely revolves around drawing the attention of the enemies and reducing most of the incoming damage.

Ranger: The Ranger excels in hindering the enemy from doing large amounts of damage. But if needed, he can dish out large amounts of damage against big groups of enemies.

Mage: The Mage makes for an excellent support fighter, thanks to her ability to grant MP to every Hero in the party. She's also great at dealing damage, whether that be single-targeted or hitting every enemy on the field.

Paladin: The Paladin isn't afraid to take damage, instead, it fuels her own skill, allowing her to strike back at all enemies with part of the damage she has taken during a fight. When not taking damage, the Paladin can also shield herself and her allies from getting hurt!

Alchemist: The Alchemist is all about using crazy potions and likes to experiment with all sorts of things. But don't let the random nature of his skills fool you. The Alchemist has plenty of tools at his disposal to make himself a valuable ally at your side!

Cleric: The Cleric does what you'd expect her to do. But on top of healing her allies, she can also prevent her enemies from powering up, making her an outstanding support fighter.

Berserker: The Berserker likes to hit things hard, and so that's what he does best. Simply power him up at the start of a fight, and watch him proceed to slaughter his enemies with ease.

Assassin: The Assassin feels most at home in the shadows, where he's less likely to take hits from monsters. He also likes to wait for the best moment to strike, such as when an enemy is already bleeding, or when they lower their guard when charging an attack.

Warlock: The Warlock can summon a Minion at his side, giving you a 2 for the price of 1 kind of deal. While the Warlock can steal his enemy's fury to use for himself, his minion can power up itself and either assist in battle or return to dust and restore the Warlock in dire situations.

SCREENSHOTS

NOTES
I first started working on this game when RPG Maker MV released. The goal was to create a short RPG, entirely made with RTP assets (hence the game title). In the end, I did made a few minor custom graphics, but 99% of the game consist of RTP art and sound. I've also included a fair number of plugins for better playability and quality-of-life improvements that the vanilla editor couldn't provide. Another aim with this project was to create a game completely devoid of any dialogue, as I wanted the story to tell itself through gameplay and player imagination. It's just one of those things I've always admired of games that managed to achieve such a thing, and so, I wanted to try my hand at making one such game, myself.

VERSION HISTORY
V3.0 (2018, March, 16)
PASSIVE SKILLS & ACHIEVEMENTS
-Added passive skills. Each class has 3 unique passive skills that have a chance to get unlocked at 3 different points throughout the game. A character can unlock a unique passive skill by completing their class achievement.
-The class achievement for Warrior now requires the Warrior to endure 50+ HP worth of damage while under the effect of Taunt (damage counter is carried over from battle to battle, but is reset upon death).
-The class achievement for Ranger now requires the Ranger to strike 6+ foes using Nature Force (strike counter is carried over from battle to battle).
-Lowered the requirement for the class achievement for Paladin. (Now requires the Paladin to accumulate 25+ damage while under the effect of Martyr, down from 30+ times.)
-Lowered the requirement for the class achievement for Alchemist. (Now requires the Alchemist to cast Mad Science 6+ times, down from 10+ times.)
-Mage and Asssassin now get a count towards their respective achievements when a charging foe is defeated with their skills (Charge Shock with Mage, Backstab with Assassin).
-Changed the wording on some achievements for more clarity, and fixed a typo.
-Added an option to auto-skip passive skill unlock cutscenes in the options menu.
-Added an option to play the game in classic mode (disables passive skill unlocks) in the options menu.

COMBAT
-Adjusted the stats on most enemies and bosses.
-The duration of Charm state has been reduced to 2 turns, down from 3 turns.
-Removed the MP gauge for Minion.
-Lowered the chance for forest monsters to inflict Stun upon a hero.
-Replaced the text boxes with images for finding and using the Sharp Stone to break the prison door cell.

BOSSES
-Glaiviel, Lord of Evil will now break Seal Enrage when he enters Enraged mode.
-Updated Glaiviel, Lord of Evil's attack pattern.
-Aslas, King of Dragons will now break Seal Enrage when he enters Enraged mode.
-Updated Aslas, King of Dragons' attack pattern.
-Added an entrance animation for Engardien, Grace of Heavens.
-Engardien, Grace of Heavens now makes a sound when summoning an Elemental Blessing.
-Berserker will no longer stay affected by Dragon Fury's penalty after being resurrected during the Engardien, Grace of Heavens' boss battle.

MISCELLANEOUS
-Smart Glow is now smarter.
-Player glow will now correctly disappear while viewing the manual or the achievements window.
-The player character is no longer able to step away, right after beating a boss.
-The ghost kidnapping the girl in the town no longer runs away with her off-screen.
-Guards will now be busy holding the towns' gates instead of just standing there.
-Fixed a passibility issue on the town map.
-Teleportation events have been placed across the edges of all maps.
-Fixed a minor visual bug with the hanging rope on one of the evil lair maps.

MOBILE ONLY
-Customised the game icon graphic.
-Updated the options menu.
-Added a missing sound file that would result in an error upon challenging Glaiviel, Lord of Evil.
-Renamed the Elemental Blessings to prevent a lag issue during the Engardien, Grace of Heavens' boss battle:
*Earth Blessing is renamed to Terra.
*Ocean Blessing is renamed to Neptune.
*Sky Blessing is renamed to Saturn.
*Fire Blessing is renamed to Mars.

KNOWN ISSUES
-Options changed under title menu don't transfer over to a new game.
-Options reset to default when restarting the game.

V2.3 (2017, March, 17)
-Smart Glow is now smarter.
-The ghost kidnapping the girl in the town no longer runs away off-screen.
-Guards will now be busy holding the towns' gates instead of just standing there.
-Fixed a passibility issue on the town map.
V2.2 (2017, February, 28)
-The Manual and Achievements graphic no longer stay on the screen when interacting with an object on the field while it's up.
-The Manual graphic no longer stays on the screen in combat after cancelling it.
-The Manual graphic no longer keeps the player from moving after combat if it had been used.
-Fixed the bed graphics. The player character will now properly rest their head on the pillow instead of hiding underneath it.

V2.1 (2017, February, 20)
-The Manual can now be accessed during the player's turn in combat.
-Succubus's Immunity status is now displayed with the icon for Immortality, for clarity.
-Updated credits.

V2.0 (2016, December, 31)
-Updated the game to be compatible with RPG Maker MV v1.3.4.
-The game will no longer show a pop-up message when resetting the game.
-Player glow is now hidden while the Manual or Achievements window is opened.

V1.9 (2016, November, 18)
-The player character can now enter beds.
-The player character and other visual events will no longer disappear when the battle encounter animation plays.
-A soft glow will be displayed around the character, during nighttime. This can be turned off under Options.
-(v1.9.1) The glow effect can now be set to never show, only be showed during nighttime, or to always show.
-(v1.9.2) Automatic dash is now always enabled. To walk, hold the Shift key. Removed the Dash option from the Options menu.
-(v1.9.2) Pressing F4 to toggle fullscreen on or off should now correctly update the Fullscreen option in the Options menu.
-(v1.9.2) Fixed a bug that would sometimes fail to remove the glow effect at the Congratulations screen.
-The options menu now has a help text for each option.
-Glaiviel should now, hopefully, no longer fail to lower its target's defences when striking with Burning Sword.
-Updated credits.

V1.8 (2016, November, 12)
-The party now restores 50% of their missing HP and MP upon entering the final boss room.
-Paladin's Martyr accumulated damage should now be calculated correctly when enemies attack more than once per turn.
-Warlock's Bloodbath is now slightly stronger.
-Updated a few of the character profile texts.

-The lightningstorm weather effect will now disappear upon entering the final boss room.
-Fixed a number of combat event call inconsistencies.
-Removed a rare chance of granting an extra life towards the Survival achievement.
-Removed a rare debug message.

V1.7 (2016, November, 10)
-You can now press ESC during the credits to immediately return to the title screen.
-Fixed a bug that caused an error to appear when the party wiped, under certain circumstances.
-Fixed a bug that didn't count the achievement for Mage and Assassin.
-Fixed a bug that would sometimes delay the set locations for NPCs on the town square.

-Updated a number of skill descriptions for better clarity and consistency.
-Added coloured text for key numbers in skill descriptions.
-Added state icons in skill descriptions.
-Paladin's Retribution now also restores 3 MP to the user.
-Alchemist's Disorientation now makes the target only attack itself.
-Alchemist's Mad Science is now even madder!
-Cleric's Seal Enrage state will now be removed from the foe when Cleric dies in battle.
-Slightly lowered Glaiviel, Lord of Evil's stats.

V1.6 (2016, November, 7)
-The title screen menu no longer has a continue option.
-The title screen menu now has an exit game option.

-Added an option to the main menu to allow the player to return to the title screen.
-Completely disabled the Party Menu in combat.
-The "Level Up!" pop-up after beating a final boss is now set to appear after the explosions for a better effect.
-Updated the list of credits at the end of the game.

V1.5 (2016, October, 26)
-Death (State) has its icon changed to the icon as shown in the game's manual.
-Slightly modified the lay-out of Glaiviel, Lord of Evil's map to fix a depth issue.

-Slightly raised the power of Geolem, Shatterer of Continents' skills.
-Geolem, Shatterer of Continents is no longer affected by Confusion after Awakening.
-Geolem, Shatterer of Continents has slightly stronger HP regeneration before Awakening.
-Geolem, Shatterer of Continents is now granted HP regeneration for 2 turns when reaching critical points.
(Geolem, Shatterer of Continents was a little too much of a sitting duck, without too many ways of defending itself. These changes should make him a little tougher to rush it down.)

-Slightly raised the power of Aslas, King of Dragons' skills.
-Slightly raised the defences of Aslas, King of Dragons.
-Aslas, King of Dragons now has a chance to perform one more action each turn.
-Aslas, King of Dragons, while under the effect of Hibernate, no longer has its defences lowered and is now immune to Poison, Bleed and Charm.
(The previous update had weakened Aslas, King of Dragons a little too much to my liking. Still playing with ideas on how to best balance out his ability to threaten the party without feeling too strong. Looking for feedback on this boss fight.)

Currently known issue: Game error upon party defeat under certain circumstances. Should not affect normal gameplay, other than skipping over the Game Over screen if it occurs.

V1.4 (2016, October, 23)
-Updated to work with RPG Maker MV v1.3.3.
-Fixed incorrect stats on a few of the monsters.
-A level up message will now pop-up after an enemy group is defeated.
-Slightly lowered the damage of Aslas, King of Dragons' Attack and Charged Breath.
-Aslas, King of Dragons is ordered to Hibernate again when falling below 50% HP for the first time.
-Aslas, King of Dragons can no longer damage Minion while it's under the effect of Immortal Bones.

-(Mac OS X only): The starter Hero will now be randomised correctly.
Currently known issue: Game error upon party defeat under certain circumstances. Should not affect gameplay, other than skipping over the Game Over screen if it occurs.

V1.3 (2016, October, 16)
-Updated a few skill activation texts
-Paladin's Retribution skill description now correctly displays the damage accumulated in Vampire encounters.

-Glaiviel, Lord of Evil can no longer Enrage while under the effect of Cleric's Seal Enrage.
-Slightly increased Glaiviel, Lord of Evil's stats.

V1.2 (2016, October, 15)
-Having the timer run out during a battle encounter no longer kicks the player out of the fight.
-Warrior is now able to counterattack Fairies.

Engardien, Grace of Heavens boss fight:
-Warrior is now able to counterattack Engardien, Grace of Heavens.
-Berserker no longer has his Power boost from Anger reset at the end of every turn.
-Screen no longer continues to flash after the fight is over.

V1.1 (2016, October, 12)
-Attack (stat) is renamed to Power.
-Magic Attack (stat) is renamed to M.Power.
-Reworded several skills to be clearer and fit in the updated stat terms.
(I realised how confusing it was how Attack could refer to either the command or the stat, but with the changes, it should be easier to understand the difference between the two.)

-Ranger's Soothe now decreases an enemy's by 25% (changed from 33%).
-Ranger's Preparation, in addition to its original effect, now doubles the power of Attack.
(These changes should, hopefully, make Soothe less often the superior option, while still retaining some of its usefulness. Doubling the power of Ranger's Attack under the effects of Preparation should make it feel more worth it to make use of its effect, rather than simply keeping Preparation up as a back-up heal.)

-Berserker's Attack and Anger now restore 20% HP under the effect of Rampage (changed from 15%).
-Berserker's Rampage now takes away 10% HP per turn. (changed from 15%)
-Berserker's Blood Rain slightly has its damage increased.
(Berserker was always one of the tougher classes to play, but he might have been a little too tough, with not enough ways to make a comeback at low health, due to the drawback effect of Rampage. Lowering the drawback, and offering a way for Berserker to heal without immediately losing Rampage's effect again, should allow the Berserker to stay on the offensive more often.)

-Slightly lowered Engardien, Grace of Heaven's HP.
-Slightly decreased the initial heal done by Ocean's Blessing onto Engardien, Grace of Heavens, when spawned through the casting of Elemental Dominance.
(Engardien, Grace of Heavens's boss fight felt a little too drawn out, especially compared to the other boss fights. Slightly lowering her health and her regenerative boosts at certain points during the fight should help cut down the time to finish her off.)

-Added missing sound files.
(dayum you, RPG Maker. I asked you to only exclude files not used.)

V1.0 (2016, October, 10)
-Original release.
(Yay!)

Last edited:

Rinobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Error - Failed to load: audio/se/Blow3.ogg as soon as I exit the starting location with any class.

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I get the same error. 

Rinobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Blow1 is also missing. I added the files into the project myself; currently playing.

Edit: Finished the game.

00_test_progress1.PNG00_test_progress2.PNG00_test_progress3.PNG

I don't recall seeing a single animation in battle. They're either missing like the sound effect files, or were never included; i don't know.

I only completed it once, so consider this a first impression, not a review.

Normal attacks are too weak. I know the game is focused around strategy, but each character only has 4 skills (one binary so 5 hectically?). This creates a problem in situations where you just want to finish off the last enemy and conserve some MP for the next battle (can barely deal 10% HP damage). I'm pretty sure I was over-level, and normal attack was still worthless. If it did... twice as much damage as it does already or restored some MP it'd be more useful.

During my first run, I pretty much died as soon as I went into a boss area. I feel like a had a bad class combination (Warrior, Berserker, and Mage). I won't review those classes since I don't spend much time with them... I will say that Berserker just felt suicidal without a decent payoff. Again, didn't spend much time with these classes so keep that in mind.

I really liked the Paladin class, she felt pretty balanced overall. Incredibly useful as both a guardian and damage dealer.

The alchemist was kinda OP. Very MP efficient with powerful AoEs and a skill that pretty much always makes an enemy damage themselves and skip their turn. The HP/MP swap is a pretty situational skill, so I kinda get why his MP gains are setup like that. I did like the class, but he carried pretty hard.

Ranger would really benefit from a stronger normal attack to go with his status infliction ability. I say this because ALL of his other skills are situational. Don't get me wrong, they're all good skills in their own way, but not always useful. His time to shine came towards the end of the game when I encountered the vampires (lol one shot), and the final boss. Just kept using sooth to half the bosses damage... he wasn't really useful for much else, but useful nonetheless. (Wasn't able to land a single poison or bleed with him the entire game)

The final boss was fun. Enjoyed the music, enjoyed the battle. Poison/Bleed seemed kinda powerful against him, not sure if that was intended. Actually, all of the enemies were well designed and interesting (save the ones in the starting town).

It was a little odd playing an RPG with no items or equipment, but I didn't hate it. I don't see any reason to disable saves though. Sure, it's meant to be played in one shot, but most people aren't okay with losing all of their progress just because they made a silly mistake or something came up IRL (happened to me). The game was short, but I wouldn't describe it as "fast paced" since the turn-based battle system combined with the utter inability to end battles quickly really slows it down.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Error - Failed to load: audio/se/Blow3.ogg as soon as I exit the starting location with any class.

I get the same error. 

Strange, I used the editor packaging thing and told it to only exclude unused files. I have re-uploaded the game with the missing file added.

I don't recall seeing a single animation in battle. They're either missing like the sound effect files, or were never included; i don't know.

No, that's correct, I removed all battle animations from the game to avoid things from slowing down.

I only completed it once, so consider this a first impression, not a review.

Normal attacks are too weak. I know the game is focused around strategy, but each character only has 4 skills (one binary so 5 hectically?). This creates a problem in situations where you just want to finish off the last enemy and conserve some MP for the next battle (can barely deal 10% HP damage). I'm pretty sure I was over-level, and normal attack was still worthless. If it did... twice as much damage as it does already or restored some MP it'd be more useful.

I don't think I want Attacks to do more damage, but I might consider having them restore some MP, as I really don't want players to rely too much on Attack. They're meant to be weak, unless you have a buffed Berserker.

During my first run, I pretty much died as soon as I went into a boss area. I feel like a had a bad class combination (Warrior, Berserker, and Mage). I won't review those classes since I don't spend much time with them... I will say that Berserker just felt suicidal without a decent payoff. Again, didn't spend much time with these classes so keep that in mind.

I'll say that Berserker is probably the most difficult character to play, and he does need some babysitting to get his chance to shine. But once he starts rolling, he can easily turn the tide in battle. He's also very strong against some of the bosses if you build up his power for a finishing Dragon Fury hit,

I really liked the Paladin class, she felt pretty balanced overall. Incredibly useful as both a guardian and damage dealer.

The alchemist was kinda OP. Very MP efficient with powerful AoEs and a skill that pretty much always makes an enemy damage themselves and skip their turn. The HP/MP swap is a pretty situational skill, so I kinda get why his MP gains are setup like that. I did like the class, but he carried pretty hard.

Due to his random nature, I made Alchemist a little stronger than the other classes (and by stronger, I mean giving him a bit more survivability and let him cast spells more often). From my experience, I don't think he's OP, but I'm never sad to see one in my party.

Ranger would really benefit from a stronger normal attack to go with his status infliction ability. I say this because ALL of his other skills are situational. Don't get me wrong, they're all good skills in their own way, but not always useful. His time to shine came towards the end of the game when I encountered the vampires (lol one shot), and the final boss. Just kept using sooth to half the bosses damage... he wasn't really useful for much else, but useful nonetheless. (Wasn't able to land a single poison or bleed with him the entire game)

I kind of agree on that, that Ranger rarely gets to Attack, because in most cases, it's better to use Soothe. I'll think about it, and maybe buff his Attack a little in the next update. Other than that, I think Ranger is one of the strongest classes, but his weakness is his inability to do decent damage when there's only 1 target on the field.

The final boss was fun. Enjoyed the music, enjoyed the battle. Poison/Bleed seemed kinda powerful against him, not sure if that was intended. Actually, all of the enemies were well designed and interesting (save the ones in the starting town).

It was a little odd playing an RPG with no items or equipment, but I didn't hate it. I don't see any reason to disable saves though. Sure, it's meant to be played in one shot, but most people aren't okay with losing all of their progress just because they made a silly mistake or something came up IRL (happened to me). The game was short, but I wouldn't describe it as "fast paced" since the turn-based battle system combined with the utter inability to end battles quickly really slows it down.

I know this was going to be brought up, and I don't think I can say anything to justify the lack of a save. The idea behind it is that I don't want people to get attached to their party, and since the game can easily be finished within an hour, losing a party doesn't really matter.

I don't see why a game can't be fast-paced solely because it's turn-based, but if you were taking long in battles, you were either playing overly defensive, or you just happened to have one of the slowest team compositions. Also, keep in mind that the game is meant to be played through multiple times. The more you play it, the faster you'll get through it, as you learn how each of the classes function and know what the monsters are capable of doing.

(comments in bold in the spoiler text)

Thanks a lot for playing, and for the detailed first impressions. :D Also, congrats on beating the game, lol. :)

Udumori

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Milennin, the combat in your game is great!

I love the custom combat system: It's fresh and requires some tactical forethought.

In fact, it's so great that I want to try something similar.

I won't attest to any balancing or specifics like Rinobi, but coming from a place where most RM games' combat have been cut from the same cloth, your system is unique.

I played two games so far, and ended up trying to speed through the ghosts once outside of the town.

In part because I was only testing it out, and in part because there are only so many ghosts I can take in a row.

In both games I ended up croaking to the Castle Gatekeepers.

But yeah, what you've done is pretty cool.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Milennin, the combat in your game is great!

I love the custom combat system: It's fresh and requires some tactical forethought.

In fact, it's so great that I want to try something similar.

I won't attest to any balancing or specifics like Rinobi, but coming from a place where most RM games' combat have been cut from the same cloth, your system is unique.

I played two games so far, and ended up trying to speed through the ghosts once outside of the town.

In part because I was only testing it out, and in part because there are only so many ghosts I can take in a row.

In both games I ended up croaking to the Castle Gatekeepers.

But yeah, what you've done is pretty cool.

Thanks, man. I'm glad you've had fun with the game. :) Also, good luck if you ever attempt another run. :D

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there any possibility of a Mac version?

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any possibility of a Mac version?

Sorry, completely forgot about it. I have one added now to the main post. Let me know if it works for you. :)

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin Thank you.

And I can't open the Game... although it is definitely for the right operating system this time.  Oh well.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin  Just that the file can't be opened.  It looks like your regular RPG Maker MV icon, but clicking on it doesn't work.

Don't worry about it.  As you said, you don't have a Mac to test things, and you shouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time making it compatible for one person.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Milennin  Just that the file can't be opened.  It looks like your regular RPG Maker MV icon, but clicking on it doesn't work.

Don't worry about it.  As you said, you don't have a Mac to test things, and you shouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time making it compatible for one person.

It really bothers me, though. Well, with the newly updated RPG Maker MV and trying something a little different, I updated the download for Mac. If this new one doesn't work, then I don't know what to do.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, so I completed my first run through of your game.

RTP Score.png

My final boss was the elemental one.

So, here are my thoughts on the game:

There's definitely replayability with the game.  I experimented with a few different parties before sticking with this one to the end.  The semi-random aspect is handled well.

Battles seemed to drag on for a while, even against the regular foes.  Intelligent skill use did allow lots of damage to be dealt, but it also required lots of set-up.   I liked how some skills morphed into other skills when used, and in the absence of items, having skills that restored MP was crucial.  But again, it often felt like I was just waiting around for a chance to meaningfully attack the enemy.

Still, you deserve credit for the eventing and/or scripting in the battles and good use of plugins.  And while some things could have worked better / been faster paced, the battle system is original as turn-based RPGs go.

It would have been good to have some sort of notification of when we gained levels.  I didn't even notice until later (levels 6-5-4 before the final boss), and it made some of the random battles feel meaningless.  And of course, fighting many of them would decrease one's speed score.

But it's clear that you put effort into the game, and it could be worth another play sometime to see what other classes and bosses there are.

And once again, thank you for your efforts in making the game Mac-compatible.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congrats on beating it, and glad to see that you liked it. :D

It would have been good to have some sort of notification of when we gained levels.  I didn't even notice until later (levels 6-5-4 before the final boss), and it made some of the random battles feel meaningless.  And of course, fighting many of them would decrease one's speed score.

Thanks for all the useful feedback. Quoting the last part, just to say that I can see what you mean with the level-ups, and that it's certainly something I could add in the next update. It was actually something I'd thought about doing when it was still in development, but I totally forgot about it, lol, so thanks for reminding me about it.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, I did another round:

RTP II.png

Boss: Lord of Evil.   This guy was a lot simpler than the elemental boss.

It seems the classes can make all the difference in the experience.  The Berserker's ability to accumulate Attack Power quickly and his huge buff made normal attacks a reliable source of damage.  Though I would have gotten another star here for the survival bonus if I hadn't chosen to use its ultimate attack.  I miscalculated, and thought it would do more damage, letting me wipe out the boss before the next turn (it didn't).  Actually, no.  I got the class bonus because of that, if I'm not mistaken, so it evens out.  The Warrior's Taunt and Riposte were also effective for controlling the flow of battle.  As a result, the battles were a lot faster paced, and more enjoyable this time.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I did another round:

View attachment 50464

Boss: Lord of Evil.   This guy was a lot simpler than the elemental boss.

It seems the classes can make all the difference in the experience.  The Berserker's ability to accumulate Attack Power quickly and his huge buff made normal attacks a reliable source of damage.  Though I would have gotten another star here for the survival bonus if I hadn't chosen to use its ultimate attack.  I miscalculated, and thought it would do more damage, letting me wipe out the boss before the next turn (it didn't).  Actually, no.  I got the class bonus because of that, if I'm not mistaken, so it evens out.  The Warrior's Taunt and Riposte were also effective for controlling the flow of battle.  As a result, the battles were a lot faster paced, and more enjoyable this time.

Which boss did you face the second time?

And yeah, there can be quite the difference in clearing time between parties. I saw your first clear had Cleric and Paladin, both of which are pretty slow. Berserker is the best class when it comes to damage, but he's risky to play as a result of that, as he lacks the skills to deal with Charge and Enrage.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin  That's why the Warrior's Taunt and Riposte was so useful.  It covered a weakness of the team in a different way.

The boss was the: 

Lord of Evil

But one always seems to start with Cleric... or are other starts possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.
140 Thousand words, take one down, toss it around, discover I hate the direction I went and decide to start a complete rewrite.
I like being a butt to people.
Dirtnap wrote on Tyler Warren's profile.
Hi Tyler,

My name is Sean, I am the owner of an indie studio, and I am looking to get some paid art work done. I am working with MV, but our programmer will be heavily modifying it.

If you are interested, or would like to hear more, I can provide my personal e-mail address.

S.G.
The stream will be live shortly with some more Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BwadeZ