RTP vs. Generated Character Portraits

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Warpmind, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. Warpmind

Warpmind Twisted Genius Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    So, I didn't see an existing thread on this question...

This bothers me a little: Why must the RTP facesets (and by the looks of it, a significant share of the resource packs etc.) be in a semiprofile, while the generator apparently is limited to full frontal mugshots?
    (This impracticality extends, obviously, to Game Character Hub as well, but that's merely a matter of unintended consequences at this point.)

Wouldn't it have been preferable to set up the character generator's resources for a semiprofile faceset instead? Considering how it kind of... breaks immersion with the RTP resources, it does seem a bit poorly thought through, y'know...

As a logical follow-up to my small gripe here, is there, in fact, a face generator set up for an RTP-style semiprofile?

2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If I were to guess I'd say what happened is they made the portraits for VX, then later with a new artist made the face generator.  The faces are done front forward because that's the easiest way to draw generator portraits, as long as you're mirroring the other side you only have to draw half as much.  I think there is a portrait generator made from parts edited from the RTP faces but I don't know where it is.  It's something to ask in "Resource Requests" though, not here.

3. Warpmind

Warpmind Twisted Genius Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Well, the initial question seemed more appropriate for this section of the forum, since it's a query on a design decision in the built-in character generator; the follow-up... could probably be asked in "Resource Requests", true, but it simply felt more appropriate to tie up the train of thought here.

4. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Here. Granted, not side profile, but RTP heroes to fit the generator sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I should probably finish this set. >.<;

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    Jaide likes this.
  5. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I know this is an old thread (and post) but does anyone know where I can find the generator parts Ksi used to make those awesome RTP character portraits? I've tried searching not just this site but the whole web (minus, of course, the big RPG Maker sites that no longer exist, sadly), but can't find anything, so I'm presuming either they were made by Ksi for this specific purpose (in which case, would it be possible to share them?) or on a non-English language or hard-to-find site that doesn't turn up in searches for the things I've been looking for.

In particular, I was after the headgear used, notably: the gold 'elf' circlet and purple hairclip (top image), purple or white headband (middle and bottom image) and the soldier's headgear and red beret (bottom image)... if someone else has at least those parts?

PS I know some forums don't like people 'bumping' old threads, but hopefully the mods here see why I posted in this thread specifically and didn't create a new post and then repost the images I was talking about... I can make a new thread in 'resource requests' if you prefer though?

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, you are right about necro posting, especially on such an old post.
    The absence of search results may be because we are have just moved the forum to new software and in the process links were messed up. It will take a couple of days to fix.

Once they are fixed, do another search in Resources because there are a lot of generator parts there. If you don't find them then yes, a new thread would be much better because people who know a lot about where resources are will be far more likely to look at that forum than in this one.

Closing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.