Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was wonder how to code for rmvxa. So i try to learn with the Slip into Ruby lesson on the forum.

Honestly, I can't understand too much

Do I need to learn Ruby before RGSS3 or I could learn RGSS 3 instantly?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
RGSS3 is a library of code, meaning it just adds functionality to Ruby that is used in the game. Ruby is the language you need to get familiar with and be able to use, and then RGSS3 is something you'll learn as you program in RPG Maker. RGSS3 is just functions, essentially, so you need to learn Ruby first.

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RGSS3 is a library of code, meaning it just adds functionality to Ruby that is used in the game. Ruby is the language you need to get familiar with and be able to use, and then RGSS3 is something you'll learn as you program in RPG Maker. RGSS3 is just functions, essentially, so you need to learn Ruby first.

If i need to learn ruby first, what version of it should i start with?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
RPG Maker VX Ace uses 1.9.3, I believe. In my experience, the best way to learn something is to do it, but everyone is different. I just sat down and starting trying to make things on my own and learned programming logic and Ruby as I went on in time. It will take time for you to learn and understand everything, but you'll improve as you go. For example, my first publicly released script for Ace back in 2013 is honestly an abomination and needs to stop existing.

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
thank you for helping :)  Last question Do you know some good ruby lesson by video for beginner like me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I didn't really use videos to learn, but I've used videos from this channel in the past to learn some. You can learn just about any programming language or other interesting topics from this channel, so I certainly recommend it. Here's a link to the Ruby playlist.

Edit: In the event that the link is broken in the future, the channel name is The New Boston, and they have a nice website available at https://thenewboston.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made the "My Beating Mystery" board today:
3ENFLSC.png

in Grim Trigger episodes 3 & 4, the main characters play a Clue rip-off board game called "My Beating Mystery" (haha), so of course I had to draw the board for it. Can't decide if I wanna add blood or not
Jeez...
I finally decide, after several ppl asking me to, to create a gamethread about project M... And my internet craps out on me halfway through the process :(
making my first game is like trying to stuff all my experience with old games into one
so its slow and painful when i dont get it right... i bet the next game is gonna be finished earlier!
When you don't find any time to work... :kaocry:
First Ten Minutes of my Caretaker inspired game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taixengclub