Rules about Recolored/Edited Default Tilesets (Help)

AquaticChaos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So to begin, I'm a lackluster pixel artist working on a game- more specifically, a demo- that I've dreamt of for 2+ years. Seeing as I'm having trouble with the maps, is it possible to sell the game- a free demo for now, until I get an artist- using default tilesets, even if they're recolored and/or edited?

If this isn't possible, what suggestions do you have? If it is, what about previous versions?

JtheDuelist

Just a dev who actually got a game finished
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as you own a legitimate licence to the engine in which the tiles originally belonged to, yes, but you have to credit Kadokawa somewhere, whether it is in a credits text file or in the end-game credits reel.

AquaticChaos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Right. I still have VX Ace and- I believe- 2003, but I'll be sure to do that. Much appreciated!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Note - if you use custom tilesets that others have created, make sure they allow for editing. I know that some people don't, because edits usually tend to look worse than the original, and it impacts the artist's reputation.

You also don't NEED to get tiles created. It's perfectly fine to sell the game using just RTP tiles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.
I survived Baudelaire and Bukowski, but I can't face C. Lispector. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aspaqi