Rules about Recolored/Edited Default Tilesets (Help)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by AquaticChaos, May 16, 2018.

1. AquaticChaos

AquaticChaos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So to begin, I'm a lackluster pixel artist working on a game- more specifically, a demo- that I've dreamt of for 2+ years. Seeing as I'm having trouble with the maps, is it possible to sell the game- a free demo for now, until I get an artist- using default tilesets, even if they're recolored and/or edited?

If this isn't possible, what suggestions do you have? If it is, what about previous versions?

JtheDuelist likes this.
  2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As long as you own a legitimate licence to the engine in which the tiles originally belonged to, yes, but you have to credit Kadokawa somewhere, whether it is in a credits text file or in the end-game credits reel.

Guiguimu likes this.
  3. AquaticChaos

AquaticChaos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right. I still have VX Ace and- I believe- 2003, but I'll be sure to do that. Much appreciated!

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Note - if you use custom tilesets that others have created, make sure they allow for editing. I know that some people don't, because edits usually tend to look worse than the original, and it impacts the artist's reputation.

You also don't NEED to get tiles created. It's perfectly fine to sell the game using just RTP tiles.