Rules && Guidelines

Discussion in 'Code-Off Challenge' started by ??????, May 29, 2014.

1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Code-Off Challenge was created so that script writers (coders) have a place to hone their talents. Similar to other events, the Code-Off Challenge will be a regular event held on a monthly / bi-monthly (every second month) basis. The frequency will be determined by various factors, such as the previous challenge's script complexity (people need a break now and then) and the previous challenge's participant count (if no one participates - there is no event).​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    The Code-Off Challenge is an event where by the participants all write a similar script. The script will be determined by the community prior to the event starting. Once the chosen script has been finalized, the event will begin.​
    Participants will be able to submit their entry anytime prior to the event end date, which will vary depending on complexity of the script.​
    When the event end date has been reached, the voting will begin.​
    When voting has finished, the winner(s) will be announced.​
     ​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    By writing a script that others are also writing, you will instantly gain a comparison against your own code. The more people that participate, the more code you will have to compare against. Obviously each participant would check the other entries. They would attempt to understand what they done, why they done it this way, what advantages/disadvantages does this have compared to the code you wrote? Is their style of coding more appealing to you than the way you like to write your own code?​
    Did they use methods you had never heard of - what do they do?​
    In short, the point of participating in such an event is - you will become better at both writing and understanding code for RPG Maker.​
    ( Don't forget the bragging rights :p )​
     ​
     ​

[​IMG]
    Okay, I can do that...​
    • All general forum rules apply. If you are unsure of these, you can find them HERE.
    • All scripts submitted must be NEW. (no linking to previous scripts you have written)
    • You can only submit a script if YOU have written it.
    • Coding used must be native to RPG Maker VX Ace. (RGSS3 ONLY - no alternative languages or dll's allowed)
    • No changes can be made to the script once voting begins. (once voting is finished you can update if you wish)
    • Submitted scripts MUST be publicly accessible. This means that the project itself needs to be zipped and submitted, not the compressed project. A separate folder containing only the script in a .txt file - along with any required images is also recommended.
    • To submit a script you should PM either myself (Dekita) or Shaz via prior to the closing date of the contest with details of your submitted script.
    REMEMBER
    When chatting in a thread, keep to the thread topic.
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    EVERYONE. Whether you write scripts or use them you can benefit from participating in the Code-Off challenges.​
    If you can write scripts, enter the competition, compare you code against others. Obtain those 'all important' bragging rights. Enhance your script writing abilities. Level up them stats!!​
    If you use scripts you can check out the entries, vote for who's script you like best, who's script has those little things that make you 'ooohhh' or even, vote for the script that appeals to the gamer in you.​
    Everyone can provide feedback, positive and constructive, which will contribute towards the script writers becoming better and subsequently, their scripts.​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Entering a script into these events is easy. Simply make your script publicly accessible and then, within the event thread, link to your script and state that you wish to enter. Each events initial post will be updated regularly to ensure all entries are easily accessed.​
    When entering your script, please ensure that you have stated (within your script) your name.​
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Q - How will people vote? ​
    A - A link will be given (each event) when voting begins. The initial post will be updated to reflect this.​
     ​
    Q - Can I vote for myself?​
    A - NO! This does not reflect an accurate representation of how good your script is.​
     ​
    Q - Can I post my script on another site, my blog for example?​
    A - Yes, you can. As long as the script is easily accessed by others to view. Pastebin for example, wordpress blogs, dropbox and even websites dedicated to your scripts are all examples of places you can upload your script to.​
     ​
    Q - Does the script need to adhere to particular usage rights? For example, Does it have to be free to use commercially?​
    A - The script's usage rights are determined by you - the writer. If you wish for your script to only be available for NON-Commercial games, that is your right!​
    Please state your terms and conditions within your submitted script.​
    ...​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Zeriab, Shaz, Dalph and 2 others like this.
  2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ohhh this sounds like fun! I wish I could join, but my coding isn't on par to join a contest. But this will be nice to see who doe's who and what doe's what.

3. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Seeing that there isn't much going on, I've started my own series of challenges as well.

It is not limited to scripting, though scripting may be required to provide more efficient solutions. You may use any technique that you can think of. What's important is whether you're able to solve the problem or not, and how you solved it.

And of course, that it runs in RPG Maker.

Here's the first challenge: http://himeworks.com/2014/12/rmdev-challenge-dynamically-ordered-choice-selections/

I can make a topic for it as well if you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
    Balrogic likes this.