Rules say no videos in status posts, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So the forum rules say that no DIRECT links to videos are allowed in status posts.
However, when posting a link to a video from YouTube, it automatically turns into a direct link.
This is a major problem, because a lot of people are getting told off for doing this when they haven't actually broken any rules.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is a major problem, because a lot of people are getting told off for doing this when they haven't actually broken any rules.
The only time I've seen this was the time Kes told users not to put video, but it was quite a while ago while he wasn't aware of the site automatically embed the video. But apart from it, I don't see the warn everywhere. Where you get that "a lot of people are getting told"?

But for sure, the rules need an amendment

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I also don't see the "a lot of people" getting told off. Where are you seeing that?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Agreed. I have just gone through the last 10 pages of status updates (all that it will show me) and I see lots of videos in posts. The only one that has any kind of moderation comment is one that exceeded the 2 status updates in a day. Nothing at all was mentioned on any of the others. I think it's been a few weeks since I've seen the "don't post videos" comment, and when that was done someone replied saying the links turn into videos automatically. That's the last time I've seen it mentioned.

I think you must be looking at fairly old status updates if you're seeing a lot of them. Before the mods became aware of what was going on.

And nobody gets "told off". The mods have always been very calm and polite in "reminding" people on status feed rules.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe I'm missing it, but the status rules permiss videos as long as they do not violate terms in the "do not" list, such as asking for donations or advertising merch; just to name a few. If there is a discrepancy with another help page or something that is unclear, please let us know so we can edit it to be easier to understand. Also, to repeat Shaz, I know that tone is lost over text quite easily but anytime a mod approaches someone, it's just a gentle reminder. It can initially feel a little awkward to get a mod message but nothing we say is ever meant to belittle or embarrass.

ts50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay...
@Kes and @Shaz, I'm glad the mods have discovered this. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen mod messages on videos very recently.
@Ms Littlefish Well, the moderators did say no direct links to videos before. I'm glad to hear that last thing you said :)

ts50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mods didn't say no LINKS to videos. They said don't put the actual videos on the status update. Links were fine. Unfortunately now, the links are converted and the video is embedded.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Excuse me, but I did not say don't put "direct links" in Updates "several times in the past". I twice asked that people not put videos directly in Status Updates, and was told that the links were automatically converting and embedding the videos.

"Direct links" and "directly in" are two very different things.

ts50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Excuse me, but I did not say don't put "direct links" in Updates "several times in the past". I twice asked that people not put videos directly in Status Updates, and was told that the links were automatically converting and embedding the videos.

"Direct links" and "directly in" are two very different things.
Ah, my mistake :\
Sorry about that.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right. I can confirm that if I post a link to a video the software now automatically embeds it. This is true for forum posts as well as status updates, or even a response to a status update.

ts50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is it possible to disable that, or not?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nope. And since this question is answered, I'm closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Custom sleep sequence done! :kaopride:
fuY8hyg.gif
The other day I posted a merchant airship tileset and said it was overflow from my Advent Calendar. @Avery said something like "that's one way to flex!" Well, this morning I woke up and realized THAT I MISCOUNTED AND AM SHORT BY ONE DAY. My face and palm are now perfectly fused together.
Shin Megami Tensei V is really fun... and the music is sooo good.
*Saw a video of myself*
*Opens google*
*Search "How to delete my personality"*
Me: "I should make a quick prototype of my system to test early"
Also me: "Eh, drawing the character is more fun than actually making the game"
FFhEfyfUcAMOLjF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedepece