RMMV Run common event in battle after skill selection, but before target selection?

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a tricky one that's stumping me! It miiiiight be a job for a plugin but something tells me this is doable with script calls somehow ...

I'd love to have the flexibility to run a common event in battle between skill selection, and target selection. For example:

In battle, you choose heal. This requires a target. However, immediately after choosing the heal skill, a common event plays (perhaps a sound effect plays, or a picture is shown). Then, when the target is chosen, another CE plays removing the picture and perhaps playing another SE, though this part can be handled within the existing skill page.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this one! Thanks :LZSsmile: :LZSjoy: :LZSsmile:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
something tells me this is doable with script calls somehow ...
Nope. By default, the common event attached to a skill is only run after the damage is calculated. And troop events wouldn't let you run something at this particular point. So ...

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Thank you.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm... Perhaps with Yanfly's skill core plugin it is possible. Using in skill notetag
<pre-damage eval>
$gameTemp.reserveCommonEvent(commonEventId)
</pre-damage eval>

But your troop event you need to move to common events
See more about that plugin

Last edited:

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm... Perhaps with Yanfly's skill core plugin it is possible. Using in skill notetag
<pre-damage eval>
$gameTemp.reserveCommonEvent(commonEventId)
</pre-damage eval>

But your troop event you need to move to common events
See more about that plugin

Huh ... I didn't think the YEP skill plugin had that capability. I will give this a shot, but I'm a little confused what you meant by moving the troop event to common event. Could you perhaps clarify?

Thanks!

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In simple words: If you have troop event like this (an example)
Screenshot_1.png

Then you just select all, cut out and paste it in empty common event:
Screenshot_2.png

So in this example our event has ID 52, therefore in place commonEventId from my prev post you put number 52. It should run that common event... But right now... I have doubts... <pre-damage eval> is executed on selected and confirmed target... If I'm mistaken, then Yanfly's Selection Control plugin will do?

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In simple words: If you have troop event like this (an example)
View attachment 197010

Then you just select all, cut out and paste it in empty common event:
View attachment 197011

So in this example our event has ID 52, therefore in place commonEventId from my prev post you put number 52. It should run that common event... But right now... I have doubts... <pre-damage eval> is executed on selected and confirmed target... If I'm mistaken, then Yanfly's Selection Control plugin will do?

Ah I understand now. I will give this a shot and let you know if it is a success.

Thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it would also help if you tell us what you want that common event to do.

target selection is part of the skill properties, and I can't think of anything that would make sense to run between skill selection and target selection.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it would also help if you tell us what you want that common event to do.

target selection is part of the skill properties, and I can't think of anything that would make sense to run between skill selection and target selection.
My goals are mostly aesthetic but they arise from an issue I actually came across. Maybe being more specific might give a better idea.

Specifically, I've noticed that when I'm playing RPGM games, and even testing my own game, I will choose a skill, and then I sort of get distracted by something irl, then come back, and the game is waiting for me to choose a target. But, I've forgotten what skill I've chosen!
Yes, I could back out and re-choose the skill, but this feels like an opportunity for an aesthetic upgrade.

So, immediately after choosing a skill that has a target (like heal), I'd like to have a flashy image show, like a "HEAL" graphic onscreen. Upon choosing target, I could even append "-> [Target]" immediately before the skill completes.

I'm still trying to work out Soulrender's suggestion, but if you or anyone has any thoughts on how I could manage this without using a totally revamped battle plugin, that sure would be cool!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nice idea, but wrong way to go about it.
Common events are much more than a way to display a picture, and that much more requires a number of things that would not fit well with that moment in the battle sequence.

Or in other words, your original proposal is like saying "I want to purchase a 40-ton-truck to transport a single letter to my neighbour ten meter down our small street". It can be done that way, but it is excessive and where do you park the truck afterwards in your small side-street...

I suggest asking for a plugin that specifically does that one function with a notetag to decide on the picture, like "read notetag of current skill for filename of picture to display during target selection"

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nice idea, but wrong way to go about it.
Common events are much more than a way to display a picture, and that much more requires a number of things that would not fit well with that moment in the battle sequence.

Or in other words, your original proposal is like saying "I want to purchase a 40-ton-truck to transport a single letter to my neighbour ten meter down our small street". It can be done that way, but it is excessive and where do you park the truck afterwards in your small side-street...

I suggest asking for a plugin that specifically does that one function with a notetag to decide on the picture, like "read notetag of current skill for filename of picture to display during target selection"
LOL your analogy made me laugh ... I think I have come to depend on common events as the "swiss army knives" of RPGM. They always seem to come to the rescue.

I will try my luck and see if anyone is able to provide a compact plugin, thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A common event IS a good way to insert developer options into sections where they were not supposed to go (especially if you want something dynamic instead of notetags).
It's just that that specific point in the engine is a bad place to redirect to a game_interpreter, especially if you are not deactivating the other event commands that could really mess up there.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBV