Rune Skills (Skill System)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by mjshi, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vance Raehart

Vance Raehart Story writer/Aspiring Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think that's a good idea actually, u should implement that as well.

2. GSR

GSR Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese (BR)
    @mjshi Can you change your plugin to be able to put an icon on the choice list text? Just to be more dinamic

Or just alow to do some like this: \i[27]Add, \i[2]Execute %sMP, \[23]Clear All, \i[0]Cancel 

Thanks, by the way I am from Brazil, do you speak portuguese also? 

3. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Other than Spanish words being similar in appearance to Portugese (so I can understand a little), no, I do not. I speak English, Chinese, and am learning Spanish ^^.

As for icons, those shouldn't take too long either-- I'll see what I can do, but I'm a bit busy at the moment and don't really have the time to be writing anything. To implement graphics like icons, I'll need to stop and think for awhile about how I want to go about it.

Like above, I'll notify you if I do get around to it, but right now I can't do much more than answer a few quick questions or write something that doesn't require too much time spent thinking.

GSR likes this.
  4. hppyniss

hppyniss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @mjshi, THANK YOU FOR THIS. This is exactly what I have been looking for in my magic-heavy, witch school game. If you ever get around to adding the combo save mechanic, please let me know. I'm coming up with a clunky workaround, but it would be really neat to have this in a future update. (Totally get that you're busy, though!)

One quick question for you: Is there a way to remove the topmost window? I think it's always empty, and I'm hoping to streamline the rune menu as much as possible. I suppose I can peek around in the json file again, but I know very, very little about javascript and would not want to break something else in the process. 

Thanks again! You are amazing :)  

5. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @hppyniss Sure, that's a quick edit. Dropbox file has been updated.

6. hppyniss

hppyniss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @mjshi Wow thank you for doing this so quickly! This is perfect.

7. hppyniss

hppyniss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    (Message to mods: I hope this isn't double posting! I have a new question -- let me know if I should avoid this/DM mjshi in the future!)

@mjshi Another quick question for you. I've set up the runes system in all of the necessary areas, and it works beautifully (and adds SO much to my combat, so THANK YOU!!) However, if I save the game and reopen the save file, I get the "Type error: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined" after I add the first rune in battle. I've tried adding the setup runes command to all of the maps (so that regardless of which map the save file opens to, the setup still occurs), but that didn't work (it was a very noobish guess, anyway.) 

I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong ... have you ever encountered this/have any tips? 

8. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @hppyniss 

Adding setup runes to every map should not be necessary.

I did as you said (save the game and reopen the save file) and I'm not experiencing this error. Could you send over a project (preferably of a small size) that shows this error or provide steps to encounter this error from a fresh new project?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
  9. hppyniss

hppyniss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @mjshi Yep! I'll send you what I have. Thank you so much. 

FYI -  I have a few of Yanfly's battle plugins (and also a timed action plugin from SmRndmDde), and the runes seem to play nicely with these plugins. Right now I'm moving the plugins around to test different load orders, but to no avail. Anyway, this'll all show up in your inbox in a moment.

10. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Actually, @hppyniss, I think I found the issue-- it's in the rune's setup routine. 

I've updated the plugin so that it no longer needs to be set up before running-- everything automatically runs at Scene_Title's initial boot up.

This will not work with certain plugins that skip the title screen entirely. Honestly it depends on what skip title plugin you're using.

11. hppyniss

hppyniss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
  12. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @hppyniss All links will point toward the correct file since all links point to the dropbox file.

13. hppyniss

hppyniss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @mjshi BEAUTIFUL! It works! There's a funky black space on the title screen now (I'm just using the generic RPG maker title screen), but I can totally live with that or work it into the design. You rock.

Edited to add: the black space is where the screen was extended using Yanfly's core engine resolution, in case you ever need/want to fix this. My title screen will ultimately just be a solid black background anyway, so it's not a problem for me. 

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
  14. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    update 1.01a

Fixed to work correctly with Yanfly Core, added instructions in help file as to what to do if runes aren't displaying.

@hppyniss That black space issue has been fixed with the latest update.

15. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In light of the various plugins that modify the title screen--

update 1.01b

Rune skill initialization has been swapped to at the initialization of the map instead. If this is an issue, please contact me and we can try to work out an alternative. However, I expect that this change ought to increase compatibility as fewer plugins overwrite map initialization in complicated ways.

after some testing, it has been revealed that maps actually load multiple times, which may end up lagging the game a bit.

Initialization has been transferred to on data file load, which should only occur once and be compatible with battle tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  16. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello.
    It feels weird to be mentioning it on someone else's topic...

I made an edit to this plugin for my personal use, with mjshi's permission. There were some things I wanted to change for my own game.

I decided to share because, why not, so I tried to make it a highly customizeable. I am not completelly satisfied, but I think the only thing mjshi did that I did not in my version was the different modes of skill costs, but in exchange I made my version compatible with YEP_SkillCore, or at least it seems so in my tests (also with YEP_TargetCore, or so I hope, and can't think of any other YEP plugin that would need another change).

So, that's it. mjshi asked for me to mention it in her topic when it was ready if I wished to made it public, and I don't see why not make it so, so...

Link to my version

17. silversmithfara

silversmithfara Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am having trouble adding runes to the pool. It simply won't allow it... what do I do?

18. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @silversmithfara Check the spoiler tag in the first post, did you follow all the steps?

19. xXAinSophAurXx

xXAinSophAurXx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Holy crap this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, you are quickly becoming a favorite of mine!!

20. silversmithfara

silversmithfara Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did, yes. The problem I'm having is it opens the Add Rune menu in battle, but the add command is grayed out.