Rune Skills (Skill System)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by mjshi, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeees! I'm so excited about it!
    Thank you very much @mjshi :kaothx:

2. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I found myself with a bit of free time over the weekend, and that means only one thing: a new update! And it's a big one :kaojoy:

update 1.2

Added rune result window for "learned" skill combos, overhauled max rune count to allow for greater customizability.

The rune result window displays the resulting skill when that skill has been learned:
    We start off with no combos learned.
    upload_2018-4-7_17-23-17.png

After casting "Flame" once, the result shows up in the window:
    upload_2018-4-7_17-24-11.png

Also, I've added a lot of features to the max rune count system! Not only does it now allow for parameter-based scaling, it also features a "lunatic mode" (if you're familiar with Yanfly) where you can code in your own formulas to evaluate!

From the help file:
    upload_2018-4-7_17-29-54.png

I've also added a maxrunes cap value (both default & actor-based) to offset the potential OP-ness of this kind of dynamic scaling.

More information on this "cap" and other new stuff can be found in the help file ^^

Arkaik, Garge and tale like this.
  3. chobokid

chobokid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is looking awesome :)

4. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just like Magic!
    You're awesome @mjshi !:kaothx:

5. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @chobokid Thanks!

@Arkaik You're welcome ^^ It was a good suggestion! I suspect people were getting tired of defining the max runes for everything. Plus, it makes a lot more sense for runes to scale with magic attack or MP or something like that.

Arkaik likes this.
  6. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @mjshi i've been trying to put to work what i planned but it just don't fit with Yanfly Equip Skills.
    I tried to do this:

1st: Set the skill Fire Orb as rune type and magic type too (with Yanfly Multitype Skills);
    2nd: Set the Rune Type as an exception (with Yanfly Equip Skills Allowed Types), otherwise i couldn't use the Rune Magic properly as the Equip Skill Plugin changes the way skills works (i.e. all skills are treated the same so you can equip any type of skills).
    3rd: When i test the battle, it just doesn't work as i want. The runes (Orbs) appears in rune magic, but i'd like to set them to appears as normal skills too. So all the classes could use the Orb Spells and only the Orb Mages could combine them to cast more powerful ones.

Is that possible to set something to be like this? For exemple, the Fire Orb could be used as a single spell to cast "Fira", but can be combined by the Orb Mages with the Water Orb to cast "Boiling Water" as well.

7. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There's no way to have skills be two different types in the default editor, but there's a workaround:
    Have the <runes> tag of Fira to be <runes: FIRE_ORB_ID>. That way, if your rune combination is just the one rune, it'll cast Fira.

edit: You may want there to be multiple copies of Fire Orb-- that is, if you want Fira to show up in skills too have the actor learn both Fira and Fire Orb.

Arkaik likes this.
  8. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought about it, it'll be a little bit difficult, but I'll try to do it. :kaopride:

mjshi likes this.
  9. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @mjshi sorry for being annoying, but do you have plans to still update this plugin?
    Here's my problem: I'm trying to do it in a way player can combine skills to use some powerful ones, but i'm trying to use Yanfly's equip skill plugin and they seem to bem uncompatible in the way both skills could be used. Rune Skills never appears in battle command unless if i use another script that changes battle command, but this way i can't call the "Skills" command (since the YEP plugin changes the way skills works in a way to only the equipped ones could be used) only specific ones (Special, Magic, etc.). Guess I can't do what I want. :kaocry:

10. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Arkaik I'll take a look Friday afternoon, currently a bit busy at the moment. Meanwhile, if you've the time, you could set up a test project with your plugins and maybe 1 event to battle with that shows this issue, that would really help me to get this done faster! :kaohi:

Arkaik likes this.
  11. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll do it ASAP! Thank you very much @mjshi ! :kaojoy:

12. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @mjshi i've been trying to solve my problem and just find out how to solve my problem.
    I just allowed to show up any skill learned and it (almost) works as I want, but i'd like to set some skills (passive skills) to never appears as Runes.
    Can you help me with this? Something to "lock" a skill so it cannot be used (and doesn't appears in Rune Magic command)?

Edit: Also there's something maybe you find interest to do. What you think about multiple rune magics? For example, aside rune magic we could create something like "Geomancy" so the failure results, MP cost formula, skill types, etc. would be completely different from the Rune Magic.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  13. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Arkaik Just don't tag the skill as a rune skill and it won't show up in the rune list (so set its skill type to something else in the database).

Also, for your suggestion-- I don't know if it's really all that useful specifically, but I get your general idea-- have different fail magics. I could add that as an actor-specific thing, so like a <fail_rune> tag or something. I'll consider adding it, currently it's exam week and I'm super busy but I'll get back to you at the end of May!

Arkaik likes this.
  14. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just suggested some kind of "lock feature" because I turn on the "Include All" feature and i don't want passive skills to show up.
    About the fail_rune tag, it would be awesome! Thanks a lot as always, you're amazing! :kaojoy:

15. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Arkaik
    Super quick possible fix, I'll merge this into the code when I have time and fix errors later
    Most likely it doesn't work but this is all I can give you for now, let me know if it does though!

Tag the skill with <excludefromlist>

find these lines (around 597ish)

Code:
    Window_RuneList.prototype.includes = function(item) {
        return item && (RuneSkills.IncludeAll || item.stypeId === this._stypeId);
    };

replace it with this
    Code:
    Window_RuneList.prototype.includes = function(item) {
        return item && (RuneSkills.IncludeAll || item.stypeId === this._stypeId) && !item.meta.excludefromlist;
    };
    edit might change the actual notetag name in the release version but if it works it works xD

Arkaik and tale like this.
  16. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Works like a charm!
    Thank you very much, @mjshi SUPER! :kaojoy:

Edit: Also this is something great, for even the blank skills I used to separate things in Database won't show up anymore. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  17. Junane

Junane Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi @mjshi, I'm having problems using this beautiful plugin to set up a series of attacks only accessible using these runes.

I've got three skills (Ten, Chi, Jin) on skill IDs 75, 76 and 77 respectively. Problem is, my Fire Blast skill uses <runes: 76, 75> and <runes: 77, 75> in its' notebox but when I put in Jin > Ten or Chi > Ten in the rune window, it returns as my Return Attack skill (skill ID 78, simply 100 damage back to user) instead of the expected Fire Blast. Also happens with my Fuma Shuriken skill (which requires one of any of those three skills).

EDIT: I found that Jin > Ten works but not Chi > Ten; what's up with that?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  18. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Junane
    For skills that can be cast with multiple rune combinations, you need to do
    <rune0:
    <rune1:
    <rune2:
    etc

instead of just
    <runes:

More details are in the help file ^^

Arkaik likes this.
  19. Junane

Junane Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! That was actually a little confusing as I initially thought that meant the individual runes had rune combinations themselves.

20. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Arkaik and tale like this.