'Runic Enchantment' with 'Yanfly Convert Damage' - Notetag ignored as a rune.

LeeOccleshaw

Stone Dragon Workshop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am attempting to use both of these scripts together but the Convert Damage notetag (<convert hp physical: +x%>) does not work when used as a Runic Enchantment weapon rune. This is a shame as I'd like to offer players the ability to add these features to their weapons via the Runic Enchantment system.

The Convert Damage notetag works when used regularly as a notetag specifically on the weapon but it is not working as a rune (runes are armours in the database, the traits/stats from the armour carries over onto the weapon when used as a rune).

The scripts:

Kread-EX Runic Enchantment

https://grimoirecastle.wordpress.com/rgss3-scripts/gameplay-scripts/runic-enchantment/comment-page-1/

Yanfly Convert Damage

https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/gameplay-scripts/convert-damage/

Does anyone have any experience with this or understand, more clearly, how the Runic Enchantment script handles using the armours as runes? Runic Enchantment seems to ignore extra custom notetags despite reading the notetag to allow it to be a rune in the first place - I presumed it would read all of the set notetags if that's the case, not just the ones indicating that it is a weapon rune. If anyone can help I will credit them in the game, along with a free copy (once/if the game has been finished of course!) and give them free virtual hugs for life.

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeOccleshaw

Stone Dragon Workshop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm still wondering if anyone can understand this and if they know if it's possible to get them to work together. Thanks!

zadck

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So, Runic Enhancement pretty much just reads the features box to the best of my knowledge. It'd take a fairly large script modification I think to make it do anything else. That said, that's plenty enough that several work arounds are available through that. Convert Damage can be tagged on a state, right? Here's what you can do, all through eventing and the Features box that Runic Enhancement should read. This should in theory work with absolutely any notetag that can be used on a state, so feel free to use it for more lunatic effects and such later and even more creative runes (I may myself after thinking this through!). You'll need (or probably want) Yanfly's Basetroop utility, and probably Yanfly's script to hide skills.

A few things to set up:

First, make a skill. This will be the activator for the convert damage. Tag it with <hide always> so it doesn't confuse players (or don't, make it usable never and put it into a skill catagory for passive effects). Name it what you want to show up in the Runic enhancement window.

On the rune you want to have convert damage, have it give the actor the skill you made.

Lastly, make a state. Don't give it an icon, this will be a hidden state (unless you DO want it displayed to give the player that information, then give it an icon). But do give it the convert damage tag.

Now the fun part. Go into your troops tab, and make a page on your base troop that is set to activate at turn 0. Here, make a conditional branch for each actor in your game, asking if the skill is learned. If it is, apply the state you made to them. (There's probably a quicker way to check everyone with script, but I actually just opened my own thread to ask the question I'd need to know to answer how to do that, haha!)

The effect should be that at the start of any battle, the game will check to see if any of the actors have a rune that gives them the skill, which will apply the state that has the note tag properly working. Because the state doesn't have an icon, it shouldn't show up on your characters under most battle systems (shouldn't on Yanfly's or Symphony anyway). This doesn't actually take too long to set up for each rune either, so as far as work arounds go it should be pretty smooth!

Let me know if you have any questions! I haven't tried this myself (I probably will because it seems fun now!), but I see no reason it shouldn't work.
Zachary Storch (@Zadck3)

EDIT: Tried it out myself. For some reason, the default GUI conditional branch isn't picking up skills added by Runic Enhancement. It still works, you just have to do slightly more work (less clicks though, and more copy pasting!). Instead of GUI conditional branches, add script to run in the troop and add this for each actor in your project (one conditional branch per actor):

if $game_actors[1].skills.include?($data_skills[50]) actor = $game_actors[1]already_dead = actor.dead?actor.add_state(50)actor.perform_collapse_effect if actor.dead? and !already_deadactor.result.clearendif $game_actors[2].skills.include?($data_skills[50]) actor = $game_actors[2]already_dead = actor.dead?actor.add_state(50)actor.perform_collapse_effect if actor.dead? and !already_deadactor.result.clearendect. ect.Obviously, replace the 1 and 2's with your own actor IDs, the number inside $data_skills with the skill ID, and the number inside actor.add_state with the state ID that has the convert damage tag. I have this working now when I tested it! The entire process took about 5 minutes to set up, so I think this is a solid work around that can be used.

If you're using the traits namer addon for Runic Enhancement, consider changing the vocabulary in there for Skills, though. The only downside I see to this system is that when applying the rune, the window will display whatever vocabulary you have for Skills (the default is Skills: <Skill name here>).

LeeOccleshaw

Stone Dragon Workshop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks Zadck! That was a huge help and you've helped me open up my options again. As it's now operating under a state, this means I can't equip multiples of the same runes as the states don't stack, it only adds the one. This isn't quite what I'd hoped for but it still gives me most of the freedom I want so thanks, I'll just use the <unique> tag for the runes so prevent equipping more than one. :)

Moogle_X

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I modified Yanfly convert damage script so it now compatible with Rune script (convert trait now becomed "inserted" into @features array). Make sure you use the modified traits namer script as well so the new "Convert HP Physical +x% etc" traits can be visible in Rune Enchant scene.

Enjoy! ;)

Btw, I didn't touch "no convert" part of the script. So, it won't show up in traits list.

Convert Damage (Moogle_X edit).txt

Traits Namer (Moogle_X edit).txt

Attachments

zadck

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I didn't think going the other direction and modifying Yanfly's script. Nice.

You can still stack it, you'd just need additional states and conditionals, checking if they already have the prior state. Unless you have a very high number of max runes, it should still be a painless workaround for future if there's need as it only took about 5 minutes for to set it up with 1 state.

With Lunatic States, you can't tag armor and insert it into the features array. So for those, until relevant scripts are modified that also allow you to tie a state to an armor, my work around is still your best bet. But of course, for this tag now that there's a script mod, nothing beats a plug and play solution, haha.

LeeOccleshaw

Stone Dragon Workshop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I modified Yanfly convert damage script so it now compatible with Rune script (convert trait now becomed "inserted" into @features array). Make sure you use the modified traits namer script as well so the new "Convert HP Physical +x% etc" traits can be visible in Rune Enchant scene.

Enjoy! ;)

Btw, I didn't touch "no convert" part of the script. So, it won't show up in traits list.
Thanks Moogle_X - I see you're floating around all of my posts helping me out. You're like a friendly scripting pet, thanks for that. Thanks Zadck too, I'll be using your work around for other state scripts! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just like this website:
lol
I streamed Moonfall on 9/25/20
and have started a page to showcase my vids/stream :kaoluv:

Please subscribe and follow, it's free, it's quick and one sub means so much to me, it would really make my day~ :wub

And now to face my worst enemy... adding color :kaocry:
Power has been restored FINALLY to our home in Lake Charles. Hurricane Laura tried to wreck our lives and disrupt my work on the commercial project i have going with Cloud 9 but the key word is TRIED!!! Slowly moving from the shelter to home over the next week or so. I WILL NOT QUIT!
I am happy because the RPG Maker MZ character comes with extra bust and full body art, but I am disappointed because the quality of the character's PIxel art has decreased.
Only My Opinion that Pixel art MV is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevendkelven