Running 2 instances of RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by BCj, May 16, 2018.

1. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Hello,
    I've recently switched from windows 7 to windows 10, and I found out that it's no longer able for me to run RPG Maker MV or VX Ace in more than one instance on steam. Even going to the install folder and pressing the .exe launches it via steam, but the application never opens twice. Is there some setting I should tweak? Since having to open project A to copy something voer for Project B, then close A and open B and vcie versa is extremely tedious.

As a sidenote, I also noticed that RPG Maker MV frequently lags after having changed anything in the databse or the plugin editor. The application simply hangs for 1-2 seconds before I can save anything. Whats up with that?

2. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there,
    I am using RPG Maker MV and for me it is possible to have two instances running when I open the game.rpgproject files. Perhaps that also works for you. As far as I'm concerned I never noticed any delay when making changes, I guess someone else can help you with that.

3. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    I've tried running two rpg project files too. The 2nd says it launches via steam, but it never happens. It just goes back to the fist instance of rpg maker that I launched. I really don't understand what's going on, on w7 everything worked just fine.

4. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, perhaps it has something to do with how much your Windows is updated, or what version of RPG Maker MV you are using, but if that is the case you should wait for someone else to respond, as my knowledge of that is very limited.

5. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Both are updated to latest versions. I've been having this problem ever since I got windows 10, which has been.. 3-4 months now. Even a barely updated w10 had this issue.

6. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So you are using 1.6.1? If that is the case the problem may be there, as it is still in beta. But like I said, I really wouldn't know. I did read some posts about some things not working while using 1.6.1, maybe try downgrading back to 1.5?

7. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    No, 1.5.2. I don't run b├Ęta's. But as said, a few months ago which an earlier version it didn't work either.
    It also doesn't work on VX Ace. And that certainly has not been updated since I switched OS.

8. Tiamat-86

Tiamat-86 old jrpg gamer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ive been playin on windows 10 since got the game. patches isnt the problem. it windows.
    only 1 game file open at a time. and while game is open i can only run 1 of:
    icon generator, enhanced character generator OR playtest at a time

9. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    In that case I hope anyone has a workaround.. There has to be something with steam/rpg maker and running multiple instances on w10.

For example, I have no problem running other programmes twice, like some rpgs.

10. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can install a Sandbox software and run the 2nd instances in Sandbox

11. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    What's a sandbox software? Got any more info for me?

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have no issues running two instances of ACE on Windows 10, though I launch all of my instances from my desktop as I save a shortcut to my active projects there. Haven't tested MV.

I've noticed Windows does tend to hang up 1 - 2 seconds on disc read operations, which could be why you see the hangup on plug-in or database changes. I've hit this problem while playing AAA games too, and think it is just because Windows 10 has a poor system for reading/saving files from disc.

13. Tiamat-86

Tiamat-86 old jrpg gamer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh hey, i just got 2 to open with mv. just had to ignore the game app. and right-click > open the project file.
    now if only i could open playtest/battletest while i have icon generator open

14. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm wondering if you have some settings somewhere preventing this. I've got the latest Windows 10 and have no problems opening two projects by double clicking on the project file. I wish I knew what to suggest other than researching what settings might prevent something like this.

15. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    I really don't know. I haven't changed anything on windows or steam at all, all settings are like, default stuff.

16. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I meant more some default Windows setting, but I don't know what might cause this. Maybe search the Steam forums and see if anyone there has had a similar issue? Sorry I'm not more helpful, it just seems it must be something specific to your machine and the settings on it.

17. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Tried but the steam forums aren't helpful at all. Seems like most people don't use windows 10 with VX Ace.
    I'm still looking for a fix.