Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any Idea what's wrong with this run cycle? It does not look right.TemplateShowcase.png

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's not a very specific question. Are you saying it doesn't look right in-game? If so, what doesn't look right about it?

Are you saying it doesn't look right graphically? Are you looking for feedback on the artwork?

If the latter, I've enclosed my thoughts below:
Your top row looks odd because the top-left image is supposed to be the right leg stepping down, and the top-right is the left leg stepping down, and you have them reversed. The same is true on the bottom row.

To me, your sideways movement rows look strange because the actor is not actually turned to the side, it's still a front view just with their feet and eyes angled, so it's going to look like they're doing a crab walk.
Also, the shading on the legs is weird - one would presume that the leg which is longer is the leg closer to the screen due to perspective, but you've shaded it darker to indicate it's farther away.

Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't figure out how to get the correct sideways run with 2 frames of movement.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
The height is irregular.
I made this template based on the size of your sprite.
Try to use it:
MV-Template-No-Default01.png

Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How should I use it? Is my sprite to tall or small?

Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a re-upload (kind of) of the issue I have. I am giving more specific info. The problem I am having with this sprite is the running sideways, I know it looks odd in the head area, but that is not the problem. The problem is that the legs and arms when moving in a running way look horrible I can not figure it out. The image is 60 pixels wide and 134 pixels tall, I scaled it up so It does not look tiny. I am making a original Octopath Traveler type game so the low pixel amount is on purpose. The Image below is not scaled up.

1620247812672.png

Orex_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Using the trailer for reference

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why did you start a new thread instead of replying to the one you already had? I asked you questions in your first thread that you never answered, so now you made a new thread where you're going to get the same questions asked.

What's the point of doing that?

So, then...how does it look horrible to you? Saying "looks horrible" doesn't really mean anything. Is it because the proportions and shading on the legs are off, as I described in my first reply to you? Do you mean something else?

For example, looking at the sideways motion, the shading (indicating the leg is further away) moves between the left and right leg. How can that happen?
Also, the images for the moving left row are now identical to the moving right row, so both directions look like he's vaguely pointing to the left.

All of this is without getting into any arm movement, because they're super non-distinct - there's just a tiny bit of outlining at the hands, so we have basically no idea what the shape of the arms is.

Have you tried looking at any of the very many actor templates available on these forums? They can help to show you how the body parts should be moving and which parts of the body should be shaded.

Last edited:

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
You can open it through MS Paint and position each frame with one of the blue blocks.

Then remove the colors from the Template and make the background transparent, I recommend using Paint.NET for this, since it is freeware.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Same subject as this?

Important:
In the first topic you posted the image of the wrong size, stretched it with irregular value.
The right and left frames are in the same direction.
It also has no transparency, not that it interferes.

If necessary I can make a video teaching you how to use TEMPLATE, but you need to be a little more patient and read the explanations more calmly.

About the character it looks horrible:
RMMV as well as MZ and the previous ones use 3 frames per direction.
The game in question is not, it is a single frame stopped making pose and the other 3 or 4 in motion that never show the stopped.

There was a very simple tutorial for Rm2k (2006 ~ 2008) that taught how to use this type of character graphic, I can even redo it in the RMMV. To understand, I will list some games that look like this:
  • Terranigma (Snes)
  • Chrono Trigger (Snes)
  • Mana Series (Various 2D games in the franchise)
  • Beyond Oasis (Sega Genesis ?)
  • Alundra (PSOne)
  • Legacy of Goku I, II & III (GBA)
  • Evoland (PC)
  • Mega Man (GBA Series)
  • Secret of Evermore (Snes)

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Orex_ , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I have merged this thread into the existing one you created two days ago. Please do not create multiple posts for the same thing.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!
''Finds icons that fits the game you're making'' Only covers 20% of what you need :p
I'm very manic-y right now. I didn't sleep and I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done, but didn't get anything done except the bare bones concept for a POSSIBLE game.
And I can't sleep now because I'm probably gonna be hanging out with my brother and I gotta discuss a bunch of BroCoG (our game group) junk with him plus it's far to late to sleep NOW.
poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
I can't believe I actually managed to stay motivated for the whole Game Jam duration (1 month!), definitely will be taking a break after this :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnelson83