YLivay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey!

I've used RPG Maker since the first time I touched computers around a decade and a half ago and it warms my heart to see its still kicking with a new version. Although a bit disappointed that there's still no linux official support im thrilled that running it under linux (in my case Fedora 22) is a breeze using the fabled Wine. And if you want to run it too, here's a short how-to :)

O0VupUa.png

First thing you have to do is to get Wine installed. For those who are unfamiliar with Wine, it is a compatibility layer (not an emulator, if you call it an emulator some angry Wine fan will track you down and uhh... hack your WoW account or something). Anyways, Wine acts as a middleware between an application and your OS, translating Windows calls to native linux ones your OS can run. Head over to https://www.winehq.org/download/ and follow the instructions to get it installed.

Once Wine is installed, install RPG Maker MV as you would normally on Windows by double clicking  the setup.exe.

* You can also start the installer through command line by running

wine /path/to/Setup.exe** You can also start it up through Wine File utility. (which is included by default in most Wine distributions)

Installation should complete without any issues. After installing, we need to change a specific configuration for RPG Maker MV.

Open Wine Configuration (wincfg from terminal) and in the Applications tab click Add application.

lKZFopT.png

In the popup window browse to where you installed RPG Maker MV and select RPGMV.exe. By default its installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\KADOKAWA\RPGMV

Hit ok and then, back to the main window, switch to the Libraries tab, and  in  the New override for library field put msvcr120 and hit Add. The configuration window should look like this:

A9E5pof.png

Hit OK and you're ready to run RPG Maker MV!

Run it in the  same way you ran the installer. The executable will be in your wine folder where you installed it.

You can run it from command line using:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/KADOKAWA/RPGMV/RPGMV.exeOr, find it using Wine File utility program and double click it there.

Happy RPG Making.

Matombo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
One addititon.

For compatibility reasons it is a better idea to install rpg maker mv in a seperate wine environment and not the default .wine

for those who don't know wine by default uses the .wine folder to store your emulated regestry and your downloaded dll's and stuff.

But this folder can be set for every application seperatly by starting it with "env WINEPREFIX="~/.your_custom_prefix" wine <path_to_app>/application.exe"

So what to do? everything as mentiont above but with env WINEPREFIX="~/.your_custom_prefix" in front of it (also the configuration mut be done this way)

Or you can use winetricks which gives you a graphical interface for the whole process (should be available in most packages managers lol sry winetricks handles a lot, expect prefixes, but can use them the same way as an application)

Some additonal litrature:

http://wine-wiki.org/index.php/WINEPREFIX

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

btw i created a thread if some errors occure:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47207-the-unoffical-linux-support-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtiCho

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hello YLivay !

My PC is on Linux and put I have made your instructions but RMMV doesn't work :stare:

I don't know why because when i use it with Wine, he search, search, search but don't open. Have you a solution ?

Please, help me ! ;_;

Matombo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
have you tried this command: env WINEPREFIX="~/.your_custom_prefix" wine <path_to_app>/application.exe" for bouth the install and the execution of the programm?

JKaima

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I took a slightly different path.  For starters, I used PlayonLinux (POL) as my emulator.  It takes a little while to learn how to navigate but I think it is worth it.  Just a couple of things you need to remember when you begin installation. 

1. When installing RPG Maker MV with POL, it will set up a virtual drive where RPG Maker will operate from.  POL will ask you if you want to set up the drive in 32-bit or 64-bit.  For now, select 32-bit as there are some components you will need later are not compatible with 64-bit systems.

2. After the installation was complete, I configured Wine according to YLivay's instructions up top.  I didn't use the command line as POL makes it pretty easy with its user interface.

3. I tested RPG Maker MV. The editor seemed to run fine, but the PlayTest mode wasn't working.  After some very long hours of trolling the Internet I couldn't really find a reason why this happened.  I noticed that other "how to's" for VX and Ace included a list of Wine components which needed to be installed.  So I used the components listed on DJNightchild's article for installing Ace on Linux Mint.  The article can be reached here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1758.

(Since I am not using Steam, I didn't follow the instructions for updating the registry keys or anything like that.  Also, I set POL up to use Wine version 1.9.4, so anything greater than what is listed in DJNightchild's article should be sufficient.)

4. Once the components were loaded, I did a restart and then tested RPG Maker MV. The PlayTest mode worked fine, but I noticed that my little avatars could pretty much walk where ever they wanted.  I am not sure what this is at the moment, it could just be my lack of understanding how maps work.  For now I am just happy to get the PlayTest mode working.

I did have Ace for a while before I switched to Linux and I was sad because I had fun playing with Ace.  But I also got Ace to work, but not nearly as well as MV.  My guess is that Ace has to work with an interpreter through a Windows emulator to work on Linux.  The result is a lot of lag.  Once I got MV working, it runs like a champ!

I hope this helps some you other brave souls who are trying to access RPG Maker MV.

JKaima

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am also running Manjaro Linux on my machine if anyone is curious.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I appologize for bumping this topic.

But has anyone encountered an issue with something called QtWebEngineProcess.exe not working?

It keeps encountering a serious problem and needing to close.

I get no sound when i test audio, and when i test play the window is blank.

I'm trying the method with play on linux, and it's giving me these issues.

If i need to start a new topic for this issue i will, but i thought or hoped it would be okay to ask about this here.

Matombo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
i don't use play on linux but does it support the WINEPEFIX variable?

if you don't know what this is:

when you first start wine it's creating a .wine folder in your home directory where it stores your program files as well as windows dll's the registry and stuff

now when you installing a program through wine it might install dll's that break other already installed programs and vice versa

to solve this problem you can set the WINEPREFIX variable to create a new clean .wine folder only for this program

don't know how play on linux works but the command for pure wine:

"env WINEPREFIX=.wine_your_custom_name_here wine setup.exe" for installing

the automaticaly created shortcuts should then issue a command like this:

"env WINEPREFIX=.wine_your_custom_name_here wine the_path_the_program_was_installed_to/rpgmakermv.exe"

Omnimental

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just wanted to say, I was able to use the information Jaima provided to get it working perfectly for me. So thanks a ton!

blurymind

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
According to some rumours the editor is going to get a native linux version:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/want-to-make-an-rpg-game-looks-like-rpg-maker-mv-may-be-coming-to-linux.6770

Can someone from enterbrain confirm or deny it? 

I ran RMMV on windows, then I ran it with the same project on linux via wine.

Guess what? Running it through wine is laggier and spits out error messages in the console and via pop ups.

The moment they release a native linux editor (64 bit), I am buying it! ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dev be like: "I'll make the character goes amnesia so I could explain the world and the lore better and immersive to the players"
Whoever decided that the 5th area of Xenoblade 3 had to be THAT big and be explored in the manner it does needs to be shot. My OCD cannot leave a tiny shard of the map hidden and those controls can go right on and f*** themselves. -.-

/rant off
Raggon wrote on NoPatience's profile.
:kaohi:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cameron122