Status
Not open for further replies.

castielidk

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm bew both to these forums (is this in the wrong place, I'm very sorry D:) and to RMVX Ace and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to run two events at once. To be honest, I'm not even sure if that's what I'm meant to be doing but I'll give details.

My char is waiting for news from someone in another room and is talking to a woman to pass the time. I want my char to be talking to this woman and cut off mid sentence by the guy walking into the room and up to my character. I think I should be using parallel process, am I right? I have no idea how to use it, though, if that's the case. Is it possible to make it all one event or do I need to have two events running? Also, I know how to use switches and self switches so if I need to use those please explain how. Please help :S Thanks in advance

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only one event can run at a time (unless parallel), what you want to do is use multiple move routes (the first one(s) set to NOT wait and the last one set to wait) within the same event to direct the sprites to move around at the same time or in whatever timing you need. (usage of wait statements help with timings too) (Just giving a general eventing tip here, hopefully you understand what I mean and can apply it to your situation)

Also here's another tip. It's better to have events with content (such as cutscene stuff) separate from events for things like NPCs. Of course you should name the events accordingly, helps when making the move routes instead of going by IDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can actually turn them both into a "single event", sort of.  The NPC that comes in will basically be a blank "second event" which is just there to give the impression they walked into the room and are saying things.  You can control that event with the first by using I think the "move event" command.  It's just a matter of getting all the timing down and playing around with the "don't wait until finished" in order to get the guy moving right away.  You may want to include a "wait until finished" marker on the movement of that character though, otherwise they may be talking long before ever getting into position to be talking to your character.

I hope that helps a bit.  I had the same issue a while back in which I was trying to move multiple sprites around the map at once and had been using switches and variables to accomplish the task.  They told me I could run the whole thing from a single event and just tinker with the timing and the "wait until finished" commands.  Worked like a charm, so I hope it can help you out as well!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is exactly how you do it:

Events Aren't NPCs: The Biggest Mistake in Cutscene Events

(even though you may not think what you're doing is a cutscene event - you want the player to watch while a couple of things happen, so it is a really small one).

You will not have ANY autorun or parallel process events. The woman NPC you're talking to will be the controlling event, and the movement commands for the other event will be added to your woman NPC event at the appropriate place. Multiple event pages with switches or self switches will stop it happening every time you talk to her.

castielidk

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Only one event can run at a time (unless parallel), what you want to do is use multiple move routes (the first one(s) set to NOT wait and the last one set to wait) within the same event to direct the sprites to move around at the same time or in whatever timing you need. (usage of wait statements help with timings too) (Just giving a general eventing tip here, hopefully you understand what I mean and can apply it to your situation)

Also here's another tip. It's better to have events with content (such as cutscene stuff) separate from events for things like NPCs. Of course you should name the events accordingly, helps when making the move routes instead of going by IDs.
You can actually turn them both into a "single event", sort of.  The NPC that comes in will basically be a blank "second event" which is just there to give the impression they walked into the room and are saying things.  You can control that event with the first by using I think the "move event" command.  It's just a matter of getting all the timing down and playing around with the "don't wait until finished" in order to get the guy moving right away.  You may want to include a "wait until finished" marker on the movement of that character though, otherwise they may be talking long before ever getting into position to be talking to your character.

I hope that helps a bit.  I had the same issue a while back in which I was trying to move multiple sprites around the map at once and had been using switches and variables to accomplish the task.  They told me I could run the whole thing from a single event and just tinker with the timing and the "wait until finished" commands.  Worked like a charm, so I hope it can help you out as well!
This is exactly how you do it:

Events Aren't NPCs: The Biggest Mistake in Cutscene Events

(even though you may not think what you're doing is a cutscene event - you want the player to watch while a couple of things happen, so it is a really small one).

You will not have ANY autorun or parallel process events. The woman NPC you're talking to will be the controlling event, and the movement commands for the other event will be added to your woman NPC event at the appropriate place. Multiple event pages with switches or self switches will stop it happening every time you talk to her.
Thank you all :D I got it done perfect, you were a big help ^_^

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.
People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tranphong