Runtime Error

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by 573Games, Jan 8, 2018.

1. 573Games

573Games Punk Rawk Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, friends.
    I'm developing a game using RPG M VX-A. Sometimes, when I am editing the game and I play-test it (F12), it works just fine (pulls up the game, loads everything, no problem). But sometimes, when I try to playtest, it shows me this error:

[​IMG]

Then windows searches for a solution and always says:

[​IMG]

The weird thing is that if I get the error and close the playtest (the game editor is still open), then immediately try to play test again (having changed nothing), there is ~50% chance that it will work just fine, and a ~50% chance that I will get the error again.

What I've tried: searching these forums, searching other RPG maker forums, scanning for viruses, deleting my scripts, deleting my common events.

What could possibly cause this error, and/or what other information do you all need to know in order to diagnose the issue? I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what else would be helpful.

Thanks for your time and for any suggestions!

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most likely a background program scanning or interdicting game.exe at that moment.
    It can happen with AntiVirus, with user access restrictions, with parental guidance programs or even background video capture software.

Game.exe gets started, the program interferes to check if game.exe might be allowed to start.
    If yes you can play test. If no (or if the background program is too slow to complete the test in time) the game.exe process gets cancelled.

Good luck searching for the responsible program...
    And it might be a real virus trying to infect game.exe and being repulsed again and again...

573Games likes this.
  3. 573Games

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you, @Andar ! I will look into those.

But, if I am not able to cure it...if I ship the game encrypted do you think anyone else would have this same problem? Or not, if it's probably just my machine. It's annoying but bearable to me, but it would be totally unpalatable to any stranger who downloaded a "finished product" that wouldn't open half the time.

Edit: Today I've been using RPGMVX-A as "the administrator" (run as administrator) and haven't had any problems since! If the issue comes back, I will update; if not, assume this patched/fixed it!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. PokemaniacBarry

PokemaniacBarry Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @573Games I've had the same problem. I also tried running it as an administrator but I still get the same error... If this happened to you again and you've found a solution, thanks a lot! It'd really help me if I can fix this error.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @PokemaniacBarry
    Please make your own topic instead of hijacking a similiar topic.
    Because as I said above, this is caused by a background program on your computer, and it usually is different programs on different computers - that is why I listed the types of programs known to do this in my answer above.
    If the other user replied with "yes, I had to disable program X", then most likely your answer would be "but I don't have that program", because your problem isn't exactly the same...

6. 573Games

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No, running as administrator totally solved/bypassed the problem for me.