RUSELAN

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by runic, Jul 2, 2014.

1. runic

runic Basketcase Member

RUSELAN
     ​
    - a classic RPG with Adventure Game elements ala Pheonix Wright and Quest for Glory -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     ​
    MAGIC! MAYHEM! MYSTERY!
     ​
    Crack the case with Agent Thaena Ruselan of the Royal Order of Magic and Monster Control - or ROMMC, for short - as she investigates a series of dragon sightings that has the small village of Dire Creek in a tizzy of terror!
    But does the real problem lie with the dragon sightings...or the villagers themselves? Find out in Ruselan.

​
    Find the Clues to Solve the Case
    Interrogate the Witnesses
    Classic Turn-based Battling
    Custom Portraits
    And Much More!
     ​
    The Royal Order of Magic and Monster Control Needs YOU!

Well! I posted my game, it's the first thing I've ever finished, the contest was just what I needed to stop just fiddling around with the system and actually get serious and start making something!

But if you'd like to check it out, that'd be wonderful!

I've been cruising the other submissions and there's been some amazing stuff! Trying not to get too discouraged but it's hard not to with such stiff competition!

Here's my contest page:
    http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/445#.U7OIwrHjx1N

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  2. Mesonyx

Mesonyx That Guy Who Made That One Thing Member

First Language:
    English
    I dig the overall aesthetic of this game, and I'm sucker for both magic and detectives. 

I'm downloading it now, and I'll check it out after work.

3. Mesonyx

First Language:
    English
    Uh-oh. Don't mean to alarm you, but your download link is down...

EDIT: Ah -- found the alternate download link! Annnnd that's why you read the fine print, ladies and gentlemen!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  4. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Thanks Mesonyx - I hope you like it! And thanks so much for going the extra mile and finding the Alternate Download link. I'm having a mini freak out over it, but trying to keep it contained haha.

5. Mesonyx

First Language:
    English
    Haha, don't mention it.

I mean, if you waaaaanted to go the extra mile in expressing your gratitude you could check out my contest submission.

Or invite me to your birthday party. That's good, too. No clowns.

6. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Will do, I'll hop on it! And I'm afraid my whole family consists solely of clowns.

So.

Sorry about that.

7. Mesonyx

First Language:
    English
    A whole... family of them?

-- Unsheathes sword strapped to his back, because that's a reasonable thing to have --

I knew this day would come...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  8. twistedshadows

twistedshadows Villager Member

I just played about 20 min of your game, and so far, I think it's really great! The storyline is interesting and funny, the graphics are very nice, the battles work well, everything seems pretty polished. I will definitely be giving it a vote and I'll likely play more of it later after I'm done checking out some other games.

9. runic

runic Basketcase Member

@Mesonyx: You betcha haha!

twistedshadows: Wow! Thank you so much! I'm so glad you like it so far!

10. twistedshadows

twistedshadows Villager Member

No problem, I'm glad to find and support fun games! The alternate link thing is kind of a bummer, but I found it fine and it works, so I hope everything works out for you there.

Also, if you have any interest, I sumbitted a link about my entry too! It's in this forum under Rozen - My First Game if you want to check it out, but no worries if not.

Good luck in the contest, I hope yours gains traction!

11. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Thanks! And I'll definitely check out your game as well! Good luck!

12. Mesonyx

First Language:
    English
    This is beautiful.

Great personality, interesting characters and an intriguing plot.

Nice work!

(Also, there's a thread where a bunch of us are reviewing each others' games -- I just posted one of yours here. Again, great work!)

runic likes this.
  13. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Oh man, I just came back from the review page - that was stellar! I appreciate the time you took to really get in there and let me know what you think! And you are definitely right, I'm not stopping there with this first game. I'm going for the gold!

Definitely going to take what you said in consideration for the next game - there's always room to improve.

Thanks again and I'm so glad you liked my game!

(Tomorrow is the day I sit down and go through the backlog of great games I now get to play, I'll be sure to post in your thread when I put the review up on the rating thread!)

14. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Updated! Added screenshots (same ones I have on my contest page, but hey. Figured I'd make it easier). If anyone would like a screen of something in particular let me know!

In the meantime, I am busy playing so many games! I've got a lot of reviews pent up already - this is super awesome!

15. Merlandese

Merlandese Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I really enjoy the atmosphere of this game. It has a somewhat Harvest Moon vibe to it. I'm not a big fan of the classic type of battle system, and there were moments I wondered if having battles at all were necessary. But it'd take some serious out-of-the-box thinking to make a system for "monster control" without using a classic RPG battle. The characters were great and the village itself has a ton of feeling to it. I liked asking questions, too. A system to somehow track that information would be nice, but it's not that hard to understand what you were just told. 

And the premise is refreshing. I'm all for it. I can see you having a nice future line-up for this character/the ROMMC workers handling new adventures in less-smelly towns. :)

Great work, and hopefully the download link thing doesn't become an issue!

16. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Thank you so much for playing and reviewing my game!

I'm planning on making a sequel for sure, and I think it will be really fun to write up my own Law & Order: ROMMC lol. We will just have to see how it all shakes out!

To further complicate the download issue...the Alternative Link is now down, but the big Download Now button works at least! It's just been a wild ride of mistakes and bad luck, but I figure that's par for the course when it's your first project, right?

17. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  18. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Thanks! And I can't wait to get to work on it, once I'm done with all these awesome games to play!

Geoff Moore likes this.
  19. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey, so I saw your game and thought I'd play it out of solidarity, seeing as how my game also stars a witch.  Then it turns out that Thaena is more of a special agent/sorceress kind of gal, but I PLAYED IT ANYWAY.  This was an interesting one for a first completed game.  The visuals were very polished, but there were some unpolished design decisions among a few other things.  Here are my thoughts:

-Like I said, your visuals are great--CRAZY good mapping.  It certainly looks like a professional game, which kind of blows me away since it's at least mostly rtp.-You can't dress up rtp audio, though.  The musician in me wanted to hear some new tracks, but the ones you chose fit the mood of the game for the most part.

-The town sections seemed to be the most thought out in terms of gameplay.  I like the investigative bit, but I kind of wish it were more complex.  Most of the time, you're pretty much led from spot to spot.  The part with the blacksmith was the only possible stumbling point, but the fact that he stopped hammering was a great auditory clue to make me talk to him--I went right to him.  So, while I'm glad I never felt stuck for the wrong reasons, I would have liked to feel stuck for the right reasons, you know, like how it's kind of fun to get stuck on a puzzle since it makes figuring it out feel more rewarding.

-I wasn't really a fan of the story and the dialogue.  Of the two main characters, the dragon dude pretty much just goes with the flow--there wasn't much dimension to him.  Thaena felt uneven; most of the times she was all business, but then some of the dialogue options had fourth-wall breaking humor (do you even lift, the Princess Bride reference, etc.) that didn't really mesh with her character outside of the dialogue options.  She did make a joke about the town upon entry, but, if she's a smartass, this character trait should probably be reenforced more often.

-The story also didn't really offer her anything as a character.  Besides solving the mystery, what does Thaena gain from the events?  How does she grow or at least change as a person?  I don't know if the story was a good conduit for her to change, and, without change, she's not a very engaging character.

-The gameplay decisions in the battles seemed like they could have spent longer in the planning stage.  Because your party is limited, your battle options are also limited, and battles basically consisted of determining a weakness for an enemy type and then using it repeatedly.  The boss was the same, only with some potion use thrown in.  I didn't beat the chimera--didn't realize I needed to grind that early.

-The game forces you to grind, which you generally want to avoid.  There are ways to make grinding less painful--such as streamlining battles or offering interesting progression systems--but your game seems to actually penalize the player when they're grinding.  The stronger enemies that are worth more experience are further into the level and the characters have no healing magic, so there's no cost-effective way of recovering life while grinding; so, when you're getting close to death, you have to trek back through the forest, rest at the inn, and then trek back.  Worse, unless you stockpile antidotes--which isn't cost effective--if you get poisoned you'll have to make that same trek, and some of the better xp mobs just happen to have a poison all ability.  The poison itself seemed like a weird design choice.  I think it might have just been included because poison is so prevalent in RPGs, but, considering the small scope of your game, you could have removed it.

Anyway, I think the main thing is that you should try to empathize with the player a bit more.  When balancing, ask yourself what it's going to take for the player to be able to overcome this obstacle, and, if it's going to take a certain amount of work, think about how you can make that work fun.  Too, make sure to spend more time in the planning stages, both with the story and the design.  I realize that, for this competition, time was definitely a valuable commodity, but, for future games, that early planning may seem like you're not making progress, but it's absolutely crucial to making the game that's perfect for your vision.  Your visuals show that you can make professional quality work, so you just need to apply that to the game at large.  Good luck on the contest; I'm looking forward to seeing your future projects.

20. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Thank you Housekeeping for playing my game and leaving a review! It's always good to find out how others say we can improve, and I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind for my next game.

-Thanks, the mapping took a while oh my goodness.
    -Ha! Yeah, I originally had some different music in there, but was from other games so I took it out to keep it viable for the contest. Wish I had more time to maybe try to find some good free stuff, but I couldn't really find any quickly enough.

-It was a struggle to decide between whether to make it clear what your objective is all the time, and whether I should just trust in the player, and I think I would definitely like to do less hand-holding next time, for sure!

-That's a good critique on Thaena as a character, and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

-I've heard a couple things about the grind now, so I will definitely address that in the next game.
    Anyway, thanks again and good luck in the contest!

Edited to add the spoiler tag. Oops!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014